dissecting an isosceles triangle

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that in an isosceles triangle with a line dissecting it, the length of the dissecting line is always smaller than the length of the equal sides of the triangle. This is proven using trigonometry and the Pythagorean theorem, and it is mentioned that the congruence of the dissecting triangles is not necessary. Instead, it is shown that the angle at the base of the isosceles triangle is greater than or equal to the angle formed by the dissecting line, leading to the conclusion that the length of the dissecting line is smaller than the equal sides of the triangle.
noowutah
Simple question, but I can't figure it out. Consider an isosceles triangle ABC with \alpha=\beta dissected by a line through C and D, where D is on AB. It is obvious that |CD|<=|AC|=|BC|, but I want to prove it using trigonometry. I can use |BD|<=|BC| in my assumptions but not angle(BCD)<=angle(ACB). Otherwise I'd be done, for the law of sines using the triangle ABC and BCD gives me |BC|>=|CD|*(sin(angle(BCD))/sin(angle(ACB))). But how to show that angle(BCD)<=angle(ACB), obviously without using what we are trying to prove, i.e. |CD|<=|BC|.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The bisector, CD, of AB divides the isosceles triangle into two right triangles with AC and BC as hypotenuses, AD and BD as legs. By the Pythagorean theorem, the hypotenuse of a right triangle is always larger than either leg.

I am not BISECTING but DISSECTING, so congruence between the dissecting triangles is not necessary. Upon further thought, though, angle(ACB)=angle(BCD)+angle(DCA) and since angle(DCA)>=0, we get angle(ACB)>=angle(BCD) and thus, by above-mentioned law of sines identity, |CD|<=|BC|.

1. What is an isosceles triangle?

An isosceles triangle is a geometric shape with three sides, two of which are equal in length. It also has two equal angles opposite the equal sides.

2. How do you identify an isosceles triangle?

An isosceles triangle can be identified by looking for two equal sides and two equal angles. You can also use a ruler to measure the sides and a protractor to measure the angles.

3. How do you dissect an isosceles triangle?

To dissect an isosceles triangle, you can draw a line from the vertex angle (the angle opposite the equal sides) to the midpoint of the base. This will create two congruent right triangles, which can then be further dissected into smaller shapes.

4. What are the properties of an isosceles triangle?

The properties of an isosceles triangle include having two equal sides and two equal angles. It also has a line of symmetry down the middle, and the base angles (the angles adjacent to the base) are equal.

5. How is an isosceles triangle used in real life?

Isosceles triangles are commonly used in construction and engineering, as they are stable and can distribute weight evenly. They are also used in architecture and design, as well as in navigation and surveying. In everyday life, isosceles triangles can be found in objects such as roofs, bridges, and flags.