Trigonometric / Mixed Integral Involving Substitution

In summary, WolframAlpha helped me solve an integration by parts problem, but I will need to remember that arctan(x) = u in order to use the trig identity.
StopWatch

Homework Statement

integrate xarctanx/(x^2 + 1)^2

Homework Equations

Integration by parts possibly? I was attempting to do it without integration by parts because we went over this in tutorial and my TA couldn't solve it properly, hence why I'm here.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I could sub u = xarctanx so that du = 1/(x^2 + 1) dx but then I'm still left with one of the two x^2 + 1's. Wolfram gave me usinucosu du as the integral after substitution was complete and I feel like knowing how this was possible will be useful if I see any integrals like this in the future (rather than having to try integrating by parts).

Physics news on Phys.org
StopWatch said:

Homework Statement

integrate xarctanx/(x^2 + 1)^2

Homework Equations

Integration by parts possibly? I was attempting to do it without integration by parts because we went over this in tutorial and my TA couldn't solve it properly, hence why I'm here.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I could sub u = xarctanx so that du = 1/(x^2 + 1) dx ...
To find the derivative of x arctan(x), you need to use the product rule, so your result is incorrect. In fact, your result is the derivative of arctan(x) by itself.
...but then I'm still left with one of the two x^2 + 1's. Wolfram gave me usinucosu du as the integral after substitution was complete and I feel like knowing how this was possible will be useful if I see any integrals like this in the future (rather than having to try integrating by parts).

Did you understand any of what WolframAlpha did?

I didn't understand much of what wolfram did, except in principle. I made a mistake though: It substituted u = arctanx alone, so du = 1/(x^2 + 1) which led it to the conclusion that this was equivalent to the integral usinucosu du. You're right that I will eventually have to use parts, and I think I can handle that if I just know how it got this substitution.

But I personally don't see anywhere that usinucosu would have come from.

Anyone?

[itex]\displaystyle \int\frac{x\arctan(x)}{(x^2+1)^2}\,dx[/itex]

Let [itex]\displaystyle u=\arctan(x)\quad\to\quad du=\frac{1}{x^2+1}dx\,.[/itex]

That takes care of everything except [itex]\displaystyle \frac{x}{x^2+1}\,.[/itex]

Also, x = tan(u), so that gives us: [itex]\displaystyle \int\frac{\tan(u)\,(u)}{(\tan^2(u)+1)}\,du\,.[/itex]

Use the trig identity tan2(u) + 1 = sec2(u) .

Then simplify.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! I need to make sure I realize that arctan(x) = u also says something about x (which should have been rather obvious) in the future.

Related to Trigonometric / Mixed Integral Involving Substitution

1. What is a trigonometric/mixed integral involving substitution?

A trigonometric/mixed integral involving substitution is a type of integral where the integrand contains a combination of trigonometric and algebraic functions, and a change of variables is used to simplify the integrand and make it easier to integrate.

2. How do I know when to use substitution for a trigonometric/mixed integral?

Generally, substitution is used for integrals that involve functions that are difficult to integrate. For trigonometric/mixed integrals, substitution is typically used when the integrand contains a combination of trigonometric and algebraic functions, or when the integrand contains a trigonometric function raised to a power.

3. Can you explain the process of substitution for a trigonometric/mixed integral?

The process of substitution for a trigonometric/mixed integral involves choosing a new variable, u, and substituting it into the integral in place of the original variable. This new variable is chosen so that the integrand can be simplified, making the integral easier to solve. After substitution, the integral is then solved using integration techniques such as u-substitution or trigonometric identities.

4. What are some common trigonometric identities used in substitution for integrals?

Some common trigonometric identities used in substitution for integrals include:

• sin²x + cos²x = 1
  • tan²x + 1 = sec²x
  • cot²x + 1 = csc²x
  • sin²x = (1 - cos 2x)/2
  • cos²x = (1 + cos 2x)/2

5. Are there any tips for solving trigonometric/mixed integrals involving substitution?

Yes, some tips for solving trigonometric/mixed integrals involving substitution include:

• Choose the substitution variable carefully, making sure it simplifies the integrand.
  • Check for trigonometric identities that can be used to simplify the integrand before substitution.
  • After substitution, use appropriate integration techniques to solve the integral.
  • Check your answer by differentiating it to ensure it is correct.