Trigonometric Integration and U Substitution

In summary: When integrating sin^3(x) dx, you are looking at the height*width scenario and were letting your width be infit. small so you would take smaller and smaller intervals but letting the number of them go to infinity, now you are changing what you are integrating and so now have to change with respect to what, i.e. you are expressing your height and therefore your width in a different manner. Does this help you understand it?
truthfinder
Hi,

We were going over trigonometric integration in Calculus II the other day. I got the basic idea, but get lost when we're doing the u-substitution.

We had a problem like this:

[tex]\int cos^3 (x) dx[/tex]

Then we did:

[tex]\int (1 - sin^2 (x)) cos(x) dx[/tex]

Starting u-substitution:

[tex]u = sin(x)[/tex]
And
[tex]du = cos(x) dx[/tex]

So then we have:
[tex]\int (1 - u^2) du[/tex]

All reasonable so far. But then, du just kind of disappears.

[tex]u - u^3/3[/tex]
Which is
[tex]sin(x) - 1/3 sin^3 (x) + c[/tex]

I see how u-substitution works when its something simple, but I can't see how the answer here can be derived to get what was given before.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean du disappears? Do you think dx "disappears" as well when you integrate f(x) dx? I'm not sure you really understand what dx is supposed to represent, in your own words tell me what it is.

Your other question I'm guessing is how is the derivative of

[tex] sin(x) - \frac{1}{3} sin^{3}(x) + c [/tex]

equal to

[tex]cos^{3}(x)[/tex]

Well differentiate your result you get:

[tex] cos(x) - sin^{2}(x)cos{x} = cos(x) \left(1 - sin^{2}(x) \right) = cos(x) \cdot cos^{2}(x) = cos^{3}(x) [/tex]

Does that help?

I know what dx is, but I didn't really express my question in the best way. If you like though, in terms of integrals, dx is the infinitesimal parts that the area of a curve is split up into.

The thing is, du isn't just equal to dx. I mean it represents something else, in this case cos(x). Doesn't that matter?

Also your explanation confuses me. How and why did you separate a cos from the sin^3?

The most I could figure out is you could use the chain rule:

[tex]sin(x) - sin^3 (x)[/tex]
[tex]cos(x) - 3 sin^2 (x) cos(x)[/tex]
[tex]cos (x) \left(1 - 3 sin^2 (x) \right)[/tex]

That 3 gets in the way though.

Basically what I'm looking for is, if you have something expressed in terms of u and du, with no other variables, then it is valid to just discard everything represented by du?

truthfinder said:
Also your explanation confuses me. How and why did you separate a cos from the sin^3?

You forgot the 1/3 before [itex]sin^3(x)[/itex] thus when you differentiate this term, the 1/3 cancels out and you are left with [itex]sin^2(x)[/itex]

truthfinder said:
I know what dx is, but I didn't really express my question in the best way. If you like though, in terms of integrals, dx is the infinitesimal parts that the area of a curve is split up into.

The thing is, du isn't just equal to dx. I mean it represents something else, in this case cos(x). Doesn't that matter?
You are right du isn't dx, it does represent something else but not cos(x), it reprents cos(x) dx i.e. once again some infit. change but that's because u isn't x, it's now sin(x) so when you were integrating sin^3(x) dx you were looking at the height*width scenario and were letting your width be infit. small so you would take smaller and smaller intervals but letting the number of them go to infinity, now you are changing what you are integrating and so now have to change with respect to what, i.e. you are expressing your height and therefore your width in a different manner. Does this help you understand it?
truthfinder said:

Basically what I'm looking for is, if you have something expressed in terms of u and du, with no other variables, then it is valid to just discard everything represented by du?

You forgot 1/3.

Related to Trigonometric Integration and U Substitution

1. What is Trigonometric Integration?

Trigonometric Integration is a method of finding the integral of a trigonometric function. It involves using trigonometric identities and techniques to simplify the function and make it easier to integrate.

2. What is U-Substitution in Trigonometric Integration?

U-Substitution is a technique used in Trigonometric Integration to simplify the function by substituting a variable with a simpler expression. This allows us to then integrate the function more easily.

3. When should I use U-Substitution in Trigonometric Integration?

U-Substitution should be used when the function contains a composition of functions, such as a trigonometric function inside another function. It can also be used when the function contains a product or quotient of functions.

4. What are the steps for using U-Substitution in Trigonometric Integration?

The steps for using U-Substitution in Trigonometric Integration are: 1) Identify the function to be integrated, 2) Choose an appropriate substitution for the variable, 3) Rewrite the function in terms of the substituted variable, 4) Integrate the new function, and 5) Substitute the original variable back into the final answer.

5. What are some common trigonometric identities used in Trigonometric Integration?

Some common trigonometric identities used in Trigonometric Integration are: 1) Pythagorean identities, 2) double angle identities, 3) half angle identities, and 4) power reducing identities. These identities can help simplify the function and make it easier to integrate.