Trig substitution integral (I hope)

In summary, the conversation is about finding the total length of a spiral using the formula for arc length. The integral involved requires a trig substitution, which the person is not a fan of. However, they realize that it is necessary in this case and proceed to discuss the steps involved in solving the integral.
ArcanaNoir

Homework Statement

I got to a place in a problem where I need to do a sticky integral, and I'm hoping I can use a trig substitution. If not, I will need to solve the main problem another way :(

[tex] \int_0^\infty \sqrt{1+(e^{-\theta })^2} \; \mathrm{d} \theta [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] 1+\tan ^2 \theta =\sec ^2 \theta [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Can I let [itex] e^{- \theta } = \tan \phi [/itex] ?
if so, does [itex] \mathrm{d} \theta = \sec ^2 \phi \; \mathrm{d} \phi [/itex] ?

And then, do I have
[tex] \int \sec ^3 \phi \; \mathrm{d} \phi [/tex] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Aside from the fact you can tell the integral is divergent just by looking at it, d(exp(-t))=(-exp(-t)*dt).

Any particular reason you want to do a trig substitution?

Myself, I'm not a fan of trig substitutions.
Usually my first step is take a part of the expression and call it "u".
Do a substitution and see what you are left with.
I see a trig substitution more as a last resort.

Maybe I should start at the beginning.

I need to find the total length of the spiral [itex] r(\theta )=e^{-\theta } [/itex] for [itex] \theta \in [0,\infty ) [/itex]

There is a formula for arc length, but I don't necessarily have to use it if there is another way:

[tex] L=\int \sqrt{1+(r')^2} \; \mathrm{d} \theta [/tex]

I'm concerned right away about the infinity.

Last edited:
Hmm, that is not the right formula for the length of your curve.
I suspect you are mixing up the formula with a cartesian version.

Alas. So, how about [tex] L=\int_0^\infty \sqrt{r^2+(\frac{dr}{d\theta} )^2} \; \mathrm{d} \theta [/tex]

in which case I will be computing
[tex] \int_0^\infty \sqrt{ e^{-2 \theta } + (-e^{-\theta } )^2 } \; \mathrm{d} \theta [/tex] ?

That looks much better! ;)

Okay, thanks. night-night! :smile:

Related to Trig substitution integral (I hope)

1. What is trig substitution and when is it used?

Trig substitution is a technique used in calculus to evaluate integrals involving radicals. It is typically used when the integral contains a combination of algebraic and trigonometric functions.

2. How do you determine which trig substitution to use?

There are three main trig substitution rules: 1) √(a^2 - x^2) - use when the integral contains √(a^2 - x^2); 2) √(a^2 + x^2) - use when the integral contains √(a^2 + x^2); 3) √(x^2 - a^2) - use when the integral contains √(x^2 - a^2). Which rule to use depends on the form of the integral and the values of a and x.

3. Can you give an example of a trig substitution integral?

One example of a trig substitution integral is ∫(x^2 √(4 - x^2))dx. This integral can be solved using the trig substitution x = 2sinθ.

4. How do you solve a trig substitution integral?

To solve a trig substitution integral, follow these steps: 1) Identify the form of the integral and choose the appropriate trig substitution rule; 2) Substitute the trigonometric expression into the integral; 3) Simplify the expression using trigonometric identities; 4) Convert any remaining trigonometric functions back to the original variable; 5) Evaluate the integral and simplify if necessary.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using trig substitution?

One common mistake to avoid when using trig substitution is forgetting to convert back to the original variable after simplifying the trigonometric expression. It is also important to check for any extraneous solutions when solving for the limits of integration. Additionally, make sure to carefully substitute the correct trigonometric expression into the integral, as mistakes can lead to incorrect solutions.