Tricky Integration with Trig Substitution

In summary, the conversation is about evaluating the integral \int(4-y)\sqrt{4-y^{2}}dy and the use of CAS software to find the solution. The person is looking for help in solving it by hand using trigonometric methods, specifically starting with the substitution y=2*sin(t). There is some difficulty in bringing the original variable back in and finding the right identity. The other person suggests taking into account the derivative of the substitution, and offers to help if the steps are shown.
bjohnson2001

Homework Statement

Evaluate.

[itex]\int(4-y)\sqrt{4-y^{2}}dy[/itex]

I have the solution using CAS software here:

[itex]2y\sqrt{4-y^{2}}+8sin^{-1}\frac{y}{2}+\frac{1}{3}(4-y^{2})^{3/2}[/itex]

but I need to do this by hand. I have researched the usual trig methods but am having some difficulty. Can someone please help me find the right identity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Substituting y=2*sin(t) looks like a good starting point.

I don't think it goes anywhere though, I get:

[itex]8cos(t)-4sin(t)cos(t)[/itex]

when it comes time to bring the original variable back in I get a mess of cos(arcsin(y/2)) but maybe I am missing something

bjohnson2001 said:
I don't think it goes anywhere though, I get:

[itex]8cos(t)-4sin(t)cos(t)[/itex]

when it comes time to bring the original variable back in I get a mess of cos(arcsin(y/2)) but maybe I am missing something

If y=2*sin(t) then dy=2*cos(t)dt. I think you are forgetting that. And yes, it does take some work to integrate. If you make a try at it and show your steps I'm sure someone will try to help.

Related to Tricky Integration with Trig Substitution

1. How do I know when to use trig substitution for integration?

Trig substitution is typically used when the integrand contains expressions involving the sine, cosine, or tangent functions. This could include expressions such as √(a^2-x^2), √(a^2+x^2), or √(x^2-a^2).

2. What are the basic steps for performing trig substitution for integration?

The basic steps for trig substitution are: 1) Identify which trigonometric function to substitute (based on the form of the integrand), 2) Express all other trigonometric functions in terms of the chosen one, 3) Substitute the trigonometric expression and its derivative into the integral, and 4) Simplify and solve the resulting integral.

3. Are there any special cases to consider when using trig substitution?

Yes, there are a few special cases to keep in mind. For example, when the integrand contains √(a^2+x^2), we use the substitution x = a tanθ; when it contains √(x^2-a^2), we use the substitution x = a secθ; and when it contains √(a^2-x^2), we use the substitution x = a sinθ.

4. How do I handle trigonometric identities when using trig substitution?

You may need to use trigonometric identities to simplify the integral after substitution. Be sure to review common identities such as sin^2θ + cos^2θ = 1 and sec^2θ = 1 + tan^2θ to help with simplification.

5. Can trig substitution be used for all types of integrals?

No, trig substitution is only applicable for certain types of integrals, particularly those involving trigonometric expressions. Other integration techniques, such as u-substitution or integration by parts, may be more appropriate for different types of integrals.