Tricky integral inequality question

In summary, to prove the given inequality, it is important to only consider points in the region B, which is a triangle with vertices at (0,0), (1,0), and (1,1). By finding the largest and smallest values of the function 1/(y^2 + x + 1) on this region, it is possible to estimate the volume beneath the surface and provide lower and upper bounds for the double integral.
spanishmaths

Homework Statement

Prove the following inequality:

[tex]\frac{1}{6}\leq\int_{R}\frac{1}{y^{2}+x+1}\chi_{B}(x,y)dxdy\leq\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

where B={(x,y)|0[tex]\leq (x)\leq (y)\leq1[/tex]} and R=[0,1]x[0,1]
EDIT: The B region should be 0 less than or equal to x less than or equal to y less than or equal to 1.

Homework Equations

I understand the [tex]\chi_{B}[/tex] to be the characteristic function, ie takes value 1 if x is in B, and zero else.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've bashed my head against a wall for ages with this one. It keeps coming out wrong and different every time.
I don't know if whether to solve it is to brute force integrate on the double integral the function like so:
[tex]\int^{1}_{0}\int^{y}_{0}\frac{1}{y^{2}+x+1}dxdy[/tex] (or equivalently the second integral between x and 1, and do dydx, which i believe is the same thing.)

Is this the right thing to do? Or is there a much quicker, shortcut way of doing it?
Many thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
spanishmaths said:

Homework Statement

Prove the following inequality:

[tex]\frac{1}{6}\leq\int_{R}\frac{1}{y^{2}+x+1}\chi_{B}(x,y)dxdy\leq\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

where B={(x,y)|0[tex]\leq (x)\leq (y)\leq1[/tex]} and R=[0,1]x[0,1]
EDIT: The B region should be 0 less than or equal to x less than or equal to y less than or equal to 1.

Homework Equations

I understand the [tex]\chi_{B}[/tex] to be the characteristic function, ie takes value 1 if x is in B, and zero else.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've bashed my head against a wall for ages with this one. It keeps coming out wrong and different every time.
I don't know if whether to solve it is to brute force integrate on the double integral the function like so:
[tex]\int^{1}_{0}\int^{y}_{0}\frac{1}{y^{2}+x+1}dxdy[/tex] (or equivalently the second integral between x and 1, and do dydx, which i believe is the same thing.)

Is this the right thing to do?
I'm reasonably sure it's not.
spanishmaths said:
Or is there a much quicker, shortcut way of doing it?
Many thanks,
I would start by find the largest value and the smallest value of 1/(y^2 + x + 1) on your region, and finding solids that overestimate and underestimate the volume beneath the surface.

Ah that´s great thanks. So that proves it for when (x,y) are in B.
But when (x,y) are not in B, then we are integrating the function 0 on the interval R=[0,1]x[0,1] with limits of integration 0,1 and x,1 as above, which is 0...
Which is evidently not between 1/6 and 1/2...
So it is only proved for when x,y is in B, and not otherwise...? I'm confused.
It is not true whenever x is greater than y.
?

spanishmaths said:
Ah that´s great thanks. So that proves it for when (x,y) are in B.
But when (x,y) are not in B, then we are integrating the function 0 on the interval R=[0,1]x[0,1] with limits of integration 0,1 and x,1 as above, which is 0...
Which is evidently not between 1/6 and 1/2...
So it is only proved for when x,y is in B, and not otherwise...?
You don't need to deal with points that aren't in the B region. Do you understand what this region looks like? It is a triangle.
spanishmaths said:
I'm confused.
It is not true whenever x is greater than y.
?
It doesn't matter about points in [0, 1] X [0, 1] for which x >= y. All you need to be concerned with are the points in B.

The solid whose volume you are estimating (with a lower bound and an upper bound) has a triangle base, and the upper surface is curved. The function z = 1/(y2 + x + 1) is continuous on B and is decreasing as x and y increase away from (0, 0), so there are a largest function value and a smallest function value. The two triangle-shaped solids whose heights are the smallest z-value and the largest z-value have volumes that are the lower and upper bounds, respectively.

Related to Tricky integral inequality question

1. What is an integral inequality?

An integral inequality is an inequality statement involving integrals, which are mathematical tools used to calculate the area under a curve. It is an expression that compares the values of two integrals and states that one is greater than or less than the other.

2. How do you solve a tricky integral inequality question?

To solve a tricky integral inequality question, you need to first understand the properties of integrals and how they can be manipulated. Then, you can use techniques such as integration by parts, substitution, or trigonometric identities to simplify the integrals and find the solution to the inequality.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving integral inequalities?

Some common mistakes when solving integral inequalities include forgetting to apply the correct integration rules, making calculation errors, and not considering the limits of integration carefully. It is important to double-check your work and follow the steps carefully to avoid these mistakes.

4. Can an integral inequality have multiple solutions?

Yes, an integral inequality can have multiple solutions. This is because there are often multiple ways to manipulate and simplify the integrals to satisfy the given inequality statement. It is important to carefully check all possible solutions to ensure they are valid.

5. What are the applications of integral inequalities?

Integral inequalities have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to prove mathematical theorems, solve optimization problems, and analyze systems with changing variables. They are also used in real-world applications such as calculating areas, volumes, and probabilities.