Transferring from engineering to physics

In summary, the speaker is a student who applied to the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow for electrical and mechanical engineering as their firm choice and mathematics and physics as their insurance. They are starting to regret their decision and are considering pursuing an academic career. They are wondering if it is possible to transfer from one program to another in the same university, even if they are in different faculties. The speaker is aware that this may require extra effort, but they are willing to do so. The advice given is to ask people at the university for more information.
kbaumen
Hi.

I applied to University of Strathclyde in Glasgow (so I'm interested to hear about UK, not USA), to electrical and mechanical engineering as my firm choice and mathematics and physics as an insurance. I did that because engineering required better grades. It would seem ill-minded to choose firmly the program which has lower criteria of admittance, however I'm starting to regret my decision. In the last months I'm getting more and more convinced that an academic career is what I would like to pursue, thus Mathematics and physics would've been a much better choice.

My question is: is it possible to transfer from one program to another in the same university even if they are in different faculties (from Faculty of engineering to Faculty of science). I know that there is a big possibility that when I start my studies, I'll change my mind again, however, right now this question is bugging me.

Thanks for any advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
In EU countries it is possible - I transferred after 1st year of EE to EP (different faculty). I had a lot of extra work - I needed to complete extra courses which weren't a part of EE. It's obvious that there is a huge gap between a level of physics/math for eng studies and for physics/math studies. If you decide to study Physics you should have no problem with math however you may feel confused a little when taking 2nd year physics courses but you should be ok as long as you put any effort and study. Every university is different so I suggest you to ask ppl there.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer. That's all I needed to know - it's possible to transfer. Extra effort? Of course nothing is for free.

Related to Transferring from engineering to physics

1. Can I transfer from engineering to physics without having a background in physics?

Yes, it is possible to transfer from engineering to physics without a background in physics. However, you may need to take some introductory physics courses to catch up on the basic principles and theories.

2. How long does it take to transfer from engineering to physics?

The amount of time it takes to transfer from engineering to physics varies depending on the individual's academic background and the specific requirements of the physics program. In general, it may take 1-2 years to complete the necessary coursework and transfer to a physics program.

3. Will my engineering credits transfer to a physics program?

It is likely that some of your engineering credits will transfer to a physics program, especially if they are related to math and science. However, it is important to check with the specific institution and program to determine which credits will transfer.

4. What skills from engineering are useful in physics?

Engineering and physics have many overlapping skills, such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and mathematical abilities. In addition, engineering experience may give you a practical understanding of how to apply physics principles in real-world situations.

5. What are the career opportunities for someone who transfers from engineering to physics?

There are various career opportunities for individuals who transfer from engineering to physics, including research positions in industries such as aerospace, energy, and telecommunications. Other potential career paths include teaching, consulting, and working in government agencies or national laboratories.