Trajectory and Force Problem: shot putter launch

In summary, a shot putter launches a 7.22 kg shot by pushing it along a straight line of length 1.84 m and at an angle of 33.0° from the horizontal. The shot is initially moving at 2.3 m/s due to the athlete's preliminary motion. The shot leaves the hand at a height of 2.30 m and at an angle of 33.0°, and it lands at a horizontal distance of 15.7 m. The task is to find the magnitude of the athlete's average force on the shot during the acceleration phase, treating the motion along a ramp at the given angle.To solve this problem, the trajectory and range equations can be used to find
geomajor

Homework Statement

A shot putter launches a 7.22 kg shot by pushing it along a straight line of length 1.84 m and at an angle of 33.0° from the horizontal, accelerating the shot to the launch speed from its initial speed of 2.3 m/s (which is due to the athlete's preliminary motion). The shot leaves the hand at a height of 2.30 m and at an angle of 33.0°, and it lands at a horizontal distance of 15.7 m.What is the magnitude of the athlete's average force on the shot during the acceleration phase? Treat the motion during the acceleration phase as though it were along a ramp at the given angle.

Homework Equations

x=v0cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex]0t
y=v0sin[tex]\vartheta[/tex]0t - (1/2)gt2
The trajectory and range equations can be derived from these two.
I'm guessing I'm going to have to use F=ma too if mass, acceleration, force are involved.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a hard time turning the situation into a picture that makes sense to me of the motion that's happening. I'm not sure what to do with v initial... unless maybe I'm actually supposed to use it to find acceleration based on how far it's traveled using v2-v02=2a(x-x0). Maybe I don't even have to use the trajectory equations at all? Because once I find a, I have m, so all I have to do is solve for F. Except, I'm still not sure how to get a... why do I need the angle? Do I have to resolve something into components?

Argh... I don't think I'm setting up the situation properly in my mind...

Physics news on Phys.org
geomajor said:

Homework Statement

A shot putter launches a 7.22 kg shot by pushing it along a straight line of length 1.84 m and at an angle of 33.0° from the horizontal, accelerating the shot to the launch speed from its initial speed of 2.3 m/s (which is due to the athlete's preliminary motion). The shot leaves the hand at a height of 2.30 m and at an angle of 33.0°, and it lands at a horizontal distance of 15.7 m.What is the magnitude of the athlete's average force on the shot during the acceleration phase? Treat the motion during the acceleration phase as though it were along a ramp at the given angle.

Homework Equations

x=v0cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex]0t
y=v0sin[tex]\vartheta[/tex]0t - (1/2)gt2
The trajectory and range equations can be derived from these two.
I'm guessing I'm going to have to use F=ma too if mass, acceleration, force are involved.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a hard time turning the situation into a picture that makes sense to me of the motion that's happening. I'm not sure what to do with v initial... unless maybe I'm actually supposed to use it to find acceleration based on how far it's traveled using v2-v02=2a(x-x0). Maybe I don't even have to use the trajectory equations at all? Because once I find a, I have m, so all I have to do is solve for F. Except, I'm still not sure how to get a... why do I need the angle? Do I have to resolve something into components?

Argh... I don't think I'm setting up the situation properly in my mind...

Try drawing out the problem on a piece of paper and lablel all given information. It will help you a lot. :) Post your attempt here and if your still struggling I'll help you out. As well you will need the impulse equation, which is the change in momentum. This will allow you to find the answer you are looking for and might clarify the picture for you a bit :)

Based on the given information, it seems like you are on the right track with using the equation F=ma to solve for the average force on the shot during the acceleration phase. The angle is important because it affects the acceleration of the shot along the ramp. You can think of the shot as being pushed along a ramp with an angle of 33.0°, which will affect its acceleration and ultimately the force required to accelerate it to the launch speed.

To set up the problem, you can consider the shot's motion in the x and y directions separately. In the x direction, you can use the equation x=v0cosθ0t to solve for the time it takes for the shot to travel the length of the ramp. Then, using this time and the given launch speed, you can calculate the acceleration of the shot in the x direction.

In the y direction, you can use the equation y=v0sinθ0t - (1/2)gt^2 to solve for the time it takes for the shot to reach a height of 2.30 m. Then, using this time and the given launch speed, you can calculate the acceleration of the shot in the y direction.

Once you have the acceleration values in both the x and y directions, you can use vector addition to find the overall acceleration of the shot along the ramp. From there, you can use F=ma to solve for the average force on the shot during the acceleration phase.

I hope this helps you visualize the problem and approach it in a more systematic way. Remember to always break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and use appropriate equations for each aspect of the motion. Good luck!

Related to Trajectory and Force Problem: shot putter launch

1. How does the trajectory of a shot putter's launch affect their distance?

The trajectory of a shot putter's launch is crucial to their distance as it determines the angle at which the shot put is released. A higher trajectory will result in a longer throw as the shot put will stay in the air for a longer period of time, allowing for more distance to be covered.

2. What factors affect the trajectory of a shot putter's launch?

The trajectory of a shot putter's launch is affected by several factors such as the angle of release, the velocity of the throw, and the force applied to the shot put. The athlete's technique, strength, and body positioning also play a role in determining the trajectory.

3. How does the force applied to the shot put affect its trajectory?

The force applied to the shot put greatly affects its trajectory. The greater the force, the higher the velocity of the throw, resulting in a longer distance. The direction of the force also plays a role in determining the angle of the trajectory.

4. What is the ideal trajectory for a shot putter's launch?

The ideal trajectory for a shot putter's launch is a parabolic curve. This allows for the shot put to travel the farthest distance while also staying within the boundaries of the throwing sector.

5. How do air resistance and gravity affect the trajectory of a shot putter's launch?

Air resistance and gravity both have an impact on the trajectory of a shot putter's launch. Air resistance slows down the shot put, causing it to have a lower trajectory. Gravity, on the other hand, pulls the shot put towards the ground, resulting in a downward trajectory. Both of these factors must be taken into consideration to achieve the optimal trajectory for a successful throw.