How Is Force Calculated in a Human Cannonball Stunt?

In summary, the Zacchini family was renowned for their human-cannonball act in which a family member was shot from a cannon using either elastic bands or compressed air.In one version of the act, Emanuel Zacchini was shot over three Ferris wheels to land in a net at same height as the open end of the cannon and at a range of 69 m.He was propelled inside the barrel for 5.2 m and launched at an angle of 530 ( degree).If his mass was 85 kg and he underwent cosntant acceleration inside the barrel,what was the magnitude of the force propelling him ? ( Hint:Treat the launch as though it were along aa ramp at 530 ( degree).Neglect air
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The Zacchini family was renowned for their human-cannonball act in which a family member was shot from a cannon using either elastic bands or compressed air.In one version of the act,Emanuel Zacchini was shot over three Ferris wheels to land in a net at same height as the open end of the cannon and at a range of 69 m.He was propelled inside the barrel for 5.2 m and launched at an angle of 530 ( degree).If his mass was 85 kg and he underwent cosntant acceleration inside the barrel,what was the magnitude of the force propelling him ? ( Hint:Treat the launch as though it were along aa ramp at 530 ( degree).Neglect air drag )

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec F_t=m \vec a [/tex] [tex]m=mass[/tex] [tex]\vec F_t =Total \ Force[/tex]
[tex]\vec w_=m \vec g [/tex] [tex]g=9.8 m/s^2[/tex]
[tex] v-v_0=at[/tex] [tex]v_0=inital \ velocity[/tex]

Projectile motion equations (In this question they will be in different forms I guess and I don't know how to find them that's my problem)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I upload a picture.After that solution I am stucked.Cause there's acceleration and also velocity of the object and I have to apply them to projectile motion equations.

Here my try
For x-axis ;

[tex]69m=v_0cos(53^0) t+\frac 1 2 acos(53^0)t^2 [/tex]
Simply I couldn't solve.

For y axis;
Here things are more complicated
Simply I couldn't solve.

Also another referance frame would be easier to solve but I couldn't put the forces in there something's doesn't make sense.I would be happy If somebody help me
Thanks

Attachments

• 17 - 1 (1).jpg
    17 - 1 (1).jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 799
Physics news on Phys.org
Just FYI, your image is ridiculously small and completely unreadable.

phinds said:
Just FYI, your image is ridiculously small and completely unreadable.
Then this is the best thing I can do

Here F is The force that cannonball applies, I showed my referance frame, m is mass of object, a is the acceleration of object inside the cannonball.

Attachments

• Adsız.png
    Adsız.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 759
In this referance frame I can write the components of force.But is it a better then my pre-referance frame...
Components are ;
w=mg (-y)
N=Ncos37 (x) + Nsin37(y)
F=Fcos53 (-x) + Fsin53(y)

so Ftotal=ma cos53 (-x) + ma sin53 (y)

so ;
-ma cos53=Ncos37-Fcos53
and
ma sin53 =-mg+Nsin37+Fsin53

Attachments

• Adsız 11.png
    Adsız 11.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 668
Deal with the trajectory first. Find the KE with which he must emerge from the barrel.

I can use only Newtons's Law.
And I just don't want to solve the question and leave there.I want to know where am I doing wrong.
Thanks

Arman777 said:
I can use only Newtons's Law.
And I just don't want to solve the question and leave there.I want to know where am I doing wrong.
Thanks
You will have to deal with the trajectory at some point, and that also uses Newton's laws.
But if you wish to start with the cannon, ok.
It will be much easier if you use a coordinate parallel to the ramp. Try writing the F=ma equation for that.
You won't need to work with a second coordinate.

I didnt want to use energy cause the book hasnt arrived there yet.So this question has a solution without using any energy transformation.(If that was your point)
So there's two equations.(Theres a pic in my #3 post A simple question about Force )
##-ma = - F + mgsin(53^0) ## (Eq-1)
##F:\text{The force that we wanted to know}##
##a:\text{acceleration of object}##
##N=mgcos(53^0)## (Eq-2)

Arman777 said:
I didnt want to use energy cause the book hasnt arrived there yet.So this question has a solution without using any energy transformation.(If that was your point)
So there's two equations.(Theres a pic in my #3 post A simple question about Force )
##-ma = - F + mgsin(53^0) ## (Eq-1)
##F:\text{The force that we wanted to know}##
##a:\text{acceleration of object}##
##N=mgcos(53^0)## (Eq-2)
Ok, that relates F to a. Next, you need to relate a to the launch speed. What equations do you know that would do that?

##v^2-(v_0)^2=2a(x-x_0)## So here ##v_0=0## and ##x_0=0##
so If we use this equation to in our referance frame we willl get

##v^2-0=2(-a)((-x)-0)## which equals to;
## v^2=2ax##

Ok I solved the problem.Just I made a simple false assumption.And then I couldn't solve cause of that.Now I solved thanks again

Related to How Is Force Calculated in a Human Cannonball Stunt?

1. What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects. It can cause objects to accelerate, decelerate, or change direction.

2. How is force measured?

Force is measured in Newtons (N) using a tool called a spring scale or a force meter. 1 Newton is equivalent to 1 kilogram-meter per second squared (kg*m/s^2).

3. What are the different types of force?

There are four fundamental types of force: gravity, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear. Other types of forces include friction, tension, and normal force.

4. How does force affect motion?

According to Newton's First Law of Motion, an object will remain at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. Force can cause an object to change its speed, direction, or both.

5. How is force related to energy?

Force and energy are closely related concepts. Force can transfer energy to an object, causing it to move. On the other hand, energy can also be converted into force, such as in the case of a spring or a rubber band being stretched.