Friction acting on the shot putter

In summary: Oh thank you for pointing that out...you saved my life:bow:. Had been banging my head for quite some time. Yes, you are right that was precisely what I was missing and the answer comes out to be ##0.385##. So that settles it.
decentfellow

Homework Statement

A shot putter with a mass of ##80## kg pushes the iron ball of mass of ##6## kg from a standing position accelerating it uniformly from rest at an angle of ##45^{\circ}## with the horizontal during an interval of ##0.1## seconds. The ball leaves his hand when it is ##2\text{m}## high above the level ground and hits the ground ##2## seconds later.

The minimum value of coefficient of friction if the shot putter does not slip during the shot is closest to:-
a) ##0.28##
b) ##0.38##
c) ##0.48##
d) ##0.58##

Homework Equations

##\Delta S= u_yt-\dfrac{gt^2}{2} \tag{1}##
##f_{max}=\mu_{min}N\tag{2}##

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all we need to find the acceleration of the ball. For that we use the fact that we are given with the time for which a force was applied in the ball which is ##0.1## ##\text{sec}##, the time of flight of the ball and the height of projection of the ball.

So, we have
  • Time for which a force had been applied on the ball ##=0.1## ##\text{seconds}##
  • Height of projection of the iron ball ##=2## ##\text{m}##
  • Angle of projection ##=45^{\circ}##
  • Time of flight of the iron ball ##=2## ##\text{seconds}##
So, initial velocity of the ball ##=u=at=0.1\times a##

From ##\text{eq}^{\text{n}}## ##(1)##, we get
$$\Delta S= u_yt-\dfrac{gt^2}{2}\implies -2=\left[(a\times 0.1)\times \sin{45^{\circ}}\times 2\right]-(5\times 4)\implies a=90\sqrt2\text{m/s}^2$$

So, the force exerted by the iron ball on the shotputter is ##F=6\times 90\sqrt2=540\sqrt2##. Now consider the FBD of the shotputter as shown below:-
stick man.png

From the FBD we get,

##N=F\sin\theta + Mg##
##f_s=F\cos\theta\implies \mu_{min}N=F\cos\theta\implies \mu_{min}=\dfrac{F\cos\theta}{Mg+F\sin\theta}=\dfrac{540}{800+540}=\dfrac{27}{67}\approx 0.40##

Though the question asks for the nearest value and 0.40 is nearest to 0.38, so it should be the answer and so is the case. But I am not sure if I am doing everything correct or not because my answer has a difference of 0.02 which is a considerable difference considering the options that are given.

Physics news on Phys.org
I worked out the problem without considering your solution and got μ = 0.402.
I used g = 9.8 ms-2

Standard qualifier: I make lots of mistakes so don't bet the farm on my answer.

TomHart said:
I worked out the problem without considering your solution and got μ = 0.402.
I used g = 9.8 ms-2

Standard qualifier: I make lots of mistakes so don't bet the farm on my answer.
So, my solution is also correct and I should consider the answer ##0.38## to be the correct one.

Did gravity suddenly start acting on the shot at the moment it was released?

haruspex said:
Did gravity suddenly start acting on the shot at the moment it was released?
I think you are telling me to incorporate the action of gravitational force in the motion of the ball before the shotputter releases the iron ball. Is that it? If so I think that the question has already incorporated it and that's why it tells us that the shotputter exerts force and doesn't expect of us to consider the action of the gravitational force on the ball. I know that I am not at all clear but I think this is the best that I can do.

decentfellow said:
I think you are telling me to incorporate the action of gravitational force in the motion of the ball before the shotputter releases the iron ball. Is that it? If so I think that the question has already incorporated it and that's why it tells us that the shotputter exerts force and doesn't expect of us to consider the action of the gravitational force on the ball. I know that I am not at all clear but I think this is the best that I can do.
You are not considering how that affects the normal force between the athlete and the ground.

haruspex said:
You are not considering how that affects the normal force between the athlete and the ground.
Oh thank you for pointing that out...you saved my life:bow:. Had been banging my head for quite some time. Yes, you are right that was precisely what I was missing and the answer comes out to be ##0.385##. So that settles it.

Related to Friction acting on the shot putter

What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the motion of objects in contact with each other. It is caused by the roughness of surfaces and the interlocking of microscopic bumps and ridges on those surfaces.

How does friction affect the shot putter?

Friction affects the shot putter in multiple ways. First, when the shot putter pushes off the ground, friction between their feet and the ground helps them generate the necessary force to propel themselves forward. Second, as the shot putter releases the shot, friction between their hand and the shot can affect the trajectory and distance of the throw.

Does friction help or hinder the shot putter?

Friction can both help and hinder the shot putter. It helps by providing the necessary force for the shot putter to push off the ground and generate forward momentum. However, it can also hinder the shot putter by creating resistance and slowing down the shot as it travels through the air.

Can the type of surface affect friction for a shot putter?

Yes, the type of surface can greatly affect friction for a shot putter. A rougher surface will provide more friction and therefore more force for the shot putter, while a smoother surface will provide less friction and less force. Additionally, different types of surfaces, such as grass, concrete, or synthetic tracks, will have varying levels of friction and can affect the shot putter's performance.

How can the shot putter reduce friction?

The shot putter can reduce friction by wearing appropriate footwear with good traction and using proper technique to minimize resistance. Additionally, using substances like chalk or rosin on their hands can help reduce friction between their skin and the shot. Ultimately, reducing friction can help the shot putter achieve better performance and throw longer distances.