Tracing object trajectory through a photocamera

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods to trace the trajectory of a moving object using light painting principles. Suggestions include using a video and tracing paper, motion detection programs, and a strobe light for multiple exposures. The conversation also mentions a tutorial for creating light streaks using a video editing tool.
serbring
Hi all,

I need to trace the trajectory of a moving object. The object are yellow and opaque while the background is grey. Since I'm interested in the shape rather than the exact coordinate, I'm wondering if I could use the light painting principle to impress on a photo the trajectory. How could I do it? By painting the object with any reflective paint? Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
One way might be to make a video and put tracing paper over the screen. Play the vid and mark with a pencil.

There are probably some programs out there that will do motion detection for you and add a trail to the path of the moving object.

Keep the shutter open.
You could also use a strobe light for multiple exposures while the shutter is open.

@Tom G. great idea the stroboscope!

@CWatters: is there any way to mark a video? My desire is to adopt a motion detection algorithm

Likes serbring

Related to Tracing object trajectory through a photocamera

1. How does a photocamera trace the trajectory of an object?

Photocameras use a process called optical tracking to trace the trajectory of an object. This involves capturing multiple images of the object as it moves, and then using algorithms to analyze the changes in position between each image.

2. Can a photocamera trace the trajectory of fast-moving objects?

Yes, modern photocameras have high-speed shutter capabilities that can capture images at a rate of thousands of frames per second. This allows them to trace the trajectory of even very fast-moving objects.

3. Does the distance between the photocamera and the object affect the accuracy of trajectory tracing?

Yes, the further the distance between the photocamera and the object, the less accurate the trajectory tracing will be. This is because the object will appear smaller in the image, making it more difficult for the algorithms to analyze its position accurately.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of tracing an object's trajectory through a photocamera?

In addition to distance, other factors that can affect the accuracy of trajectory tracing include lighting conditions, the speed and direction of the object, and any obstructions or reflections that may interfere with the image capture.

5. Can photocameras trace the trajectory of objects in 3D space?

Yes, with the use of multiple cameras and advanced tracking algorithms, photocameras can trace the trajectory of objects in 3D space. This is often used in motion capture for animation and virtual reality applications.