Pressure - Average Trajectories

In summary, the average trajectory between two distinct three-dimensional objects with equal volume can vary due to the shape and surface area of the objects. However, the difference may not be significant enough to affect the overall pressure experienced by gas particles, especially for larger objects. The presence of intermolecular forces and trajectory deflections can also complicate the calculation of average trajectory.
realitybugll
Pressure -- Average Trajectories

The question is this: if we have two distinct three-dimensional but hallow objects, might the average trajectory (the average distance between ANY two points on the object's surface) vary between the objects?

I am lead to believe the answer is yes between a cube and a sphere of equal volume - though not by much. For circles/squares I've confirmed the average trajectories to differ, though these are 2-d shapes. What's really problematic is calculating the average trajectory for the cube.

If I'm drawing logical conclusions, then this would seem to mean that the pressure experienced in the objects of EQUAL volume by the SAME gaseous particles would be different. At least if your treating them as point particles -- if you consider intermolecular forces and trajectory deflections, etc., its less clear, though I would still think that the principle would hold.

Any insight would be great. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your interesting question. I can confirm that the average trajectory between two distinct three-dimensional objects can vary, even if they have the same volume. This is due to the shape and surface area of the objects, which can affect the distribution and movement of gas particles.

For example, a sphere has a smaller surface area compared to a cube of the same volume, which means there are fewer points for gas particles to collide with. This can result in a slightly different average trajectory compared to the cube.

However, as you mentioned, the difference may not be significant. In fact, for larger objects, the difference in average trajectory may become negligible. Additionally, as you also noted, the presence of intermolecular forces and trajectory deflections can further complicate the calculation of average trajectory and pressure.

Overall, while the average trajectory may vary between different three-dimensional objects, the difference may not be significant enough to affect the overall pressure experienced by the gas particles. I hope this helps to clarify your question. If you have any further inquiries, please let me know. Thank you.

Related to Pressure - Average Trajectories

1. What is pressure?

Pressure is the force per unit area exerted on an object. It is a measure of how much force is acting on a certain area.

2. How is pressure calculated?

Pressure is calculated by dividing the force by the area on which it is acting. The unit of pressure is typically measured in pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

3. What is the relationship between pressure and volume?

According to Boyle's Law, there is an inverse relationship between pressure and volume. This means that as the volume of a gas decreases, the pressure increases, and vice versa, as long as temperature remains constant.

4. How does pressure affect average trajectories?

Pressure can affect the average trajectories of objects by altering their direction and speed. Objects will follow a path of least resistance, so if there is a difference in pressure on either side of an object, it will tend to move in the direction of lower pressure.

5. How is pressure related to weather patterns?

Pressure plays a crucial role in weather patterns. High and low pressure systems can indicate areas of rising or sinking air, which can affect wind patterns and lead to changes in weather conditions. Pressure is also used to measure and predict changes in atmospheric pressure, which can impact weather events like storms and hurricanes.