What type of heat created geometric geospatial Frost on my Windshield?

• Thread starter MountainMama
  • Start date
In summary, the formation of geometric geospatial frost on a windshield is caused by a combination of outside air temperature, humidity levels, and motion of the vehicle. The movement of air over the windshield causes water vapor to freeze and form unique patterns, while the temperature and humidity determine the size and shape of the frost crystals. This phenomenon can occur in any weather conditions, but is most commonly seen on cold, clear nights when the windshield is exposed to the elements.
MountainMama
How did you find PF?
Searching for answers to this question about geometric patterns on my windshield.
Hi all - new to the Forum and curious about nature and my surroundings. Thinking this is too interesting to not share and ask someone with knowledge to comment on it. I don't think there's a reasonable chance that the pattern on the windshield would 'randomly' match pieces of the geospatial map of the area I was in so looking for scientific explanation or affirmation that my theory as to 'how' the patterns formed or which 'heat' element caused it, could be correct.

I have a 2012 vehicle so not a lot of technology in it except it does have Bluetooth. I spent some time in another area last week that was more ‘urban’ than my usual location. I got in my vehicle around 8 AM with temperature at 30 degrees Fahrenheit. I left a box of tomatoes in the car that evening which probably created the condensation. These geometric shapes appeared on the windshield which match the geospatial map of the area. I am assuming Electromagnetic waves created just enough heat to cause the water to condense in those lines which then froze in this really cool frost pattern due to the temperatures. The frost formed on the inside of the car's windshield. You can trace the pattern to the map. On the left is a longish parallelogram with adjacent triangular sliver. Jump to the map and view the same shape (sort of like the shape of a gun) around the section bolded as “Roselle” with the straight top line as “28” or Westfield Avenue - angled line is Rahway Ave. - point of 'gun' is Broad Street. To the right of this is a sliver of a triangle with the top point – “514”. This will orient you to the location on the windshield – on the left but upside down. Over to the right are the larger ‘blocks’ which are seen on the map. I’m intrigued enough to print these out and trace them but thinking they most likely are not exact as the satellites travel. Looking for any scientists, physicists, technologists familiar with geospatial projections to comment on this. Also – anyone who has had this experience to search your location on the USGS topobuilder geospatial map (.gov site) and see if you can trace it back to your pattern

Attachments

• GeoSpatial Map2.JPG
    GeoSpatial Map2.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Windshield.jpg
    Windshield.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 5
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

MountainMama said:
How did you find PF?: Searching for answers to this question about geometric patterns on my windshield.

These geometric shapes appeared on the windshield which match the geospatial map of the area. I am assuming Electromagnetic waves created just enough heat to cause the water to condense in those lines which then froze in this really cool frost pattern due to the temperatures.
No, it's just a coincidence, nothing more. Just as we do not allow posts on "numerology" here at PF, we don't speculate on what could have caused a coincidence. Sorry, this thread is now closed.

PF is a great place for discussing mainstream science -- please use it for that purpose. Thank you. :smile: