Total resistance of a hard tyre rolling in an angle

In summary, a pneumatic tyre can be approximated by dividing the resistance by the cosine of the angle. This can be used to predict the resistance for a particular angle before unwanted behaviours start to happen, such as the tyre stopping rolling.
Miky2013
Hello,
My problem refers to hard tyres, so assuming none or very little lateral deflection. For a particular tyre on a particular floor there is a rolling resistance against the movement when the tyre is rolling. In a simplified case the resistance can be approximated as a rolling resistance coefficient (let's call it R) times the normal reaction on the tyre (N). If we try to drag the tyre sideways it will not roll, and the resistance will be the well known friction coefficient (μ) times the normal reaction (N). If the tyre moves in a horizontal angle, so neither pure front rolling nor pure lateral dragging, the tyre will roll and drag at the same time, and the resistance will be different than the two pure cases. Think on a car in which one of the rear wheels is misaligned, it will still roll but the resistance will be higher than normal resulting on tyre wear and higher consumption.
I am trying to estimate the resistance as a function of the angle (α) in a simple way as:
Total resistance = (μ*sin(α)+R*cos(α))*N

Anybody knows if that can be a reasonable approximation to the real world?
Particularly for small values of α, before unwanted behaviours start to happen, such as the tyre stopping rolling. The formula produces a high increase in resistance for even small deviations from the straight line.

Thank you,

Engineering news on Phys.org
Depends what you are trying to approximate, and how accurate you need it.

If you are assuming no deflection for a pneumatic tyre then you've lost a huge amount of accuracy.

Thanks Chris,
I am concerned with really hard tyres, kind of solid polyurethane tyres, that's why I am assuming a very little or negligible deflection. Just think on one of those wheels being pullled and the direction of pulling and wheel longitudinal axis forming a small angle. The wheel will still roll but it won't be pure rolling, it will also be dragged at the same time. I attached a top view drawing of the tyre being pulled. I think the resistance for any angle will be somewhere between the rolling resistance (minimum) and the pure friction (maximum)

Attachments

• tyre.jpg
    tyre.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 423

Related to Total resistance of a hard tyre rolling in an angle

1. What is the total resistance of a hard tyre rolling in an angle?

The total resistance of a hard tyre rolling in an angle is the sum of the rolling resistance and the lateral resistance. Rolling resistance is the force that opposes the motion of the tyre as it rolls on the ground, while lateral resistance is the force that opposes the motion of the tyre as it moves sideways.

2. How does the angle affect the resistance of a hard tyre?

The angle of the tyre affects the resistance by changing the distribution of forces acting on the tyre. As the tyre rolls at an angle, the lateral resistance increases and the rolling resistance decreases. This results in a higher total resistance compared to rolling in a straight line.

3. What factors influence the total resistance of a hard tyre?

There are several factors that can influence the total resistance of a hard tyre rolling in an angle. These include the type and condition of the tyre, the surface it is rolling on, the weight and speed of the vehicle, and the angle at which the tyre is rolling.

4. How can the total resistance of a hard tyre be reduced?

The total resistance of a hard tyre can be reduced by using tyres with lower rolling resistance, maintaining proper tyre pressure, and choosing a smoother surface to roll on. Lowering the weight and speed of the vehicle can also help reduce the total resistance.

5. Is the total resistance of a hard tyre the same at all angles?

No, the total resistance of a hard tyre is not the same at all angles. As the angle increases, the resistance also increases due to the increase in lateral resistance. However, at very small angles, the increase in lateral resistance may be negligible, resulting in a similar total resistance to rolling in a straight line.