Torsion pendulum in Cavendish experiment

In summary: It is not a constant. I don't understand what you're trying to do.In summary, the Cavendish experiment involves two small balls connected by a rigid rod and two large balls separated by the same distance. The expression for the gravitational constant G can be found by putting the large balls a small distance away from the small balls and finding the equilibrium angle θ and distance between the centers of the balls. To determine if the oscillation is harmonic, the equation for the period of the oscillation can be found by solving a differential equation, where the net torque is equal to the moment of inertia times the angular acceleration. Assuming simple harmonic motion, the solution to the differential equation takes the form of θ1 = A
Yoonique

Homework Statement

In the Cavendish experiment, the two small balls have mass m each and are connected by a light rigid rod with length L. The two large balls have mass M each and are separated by the same distance L. The torsion constant of the torsion wire is κ.
b) Put the large balls a small distance away from the small balls, when the system reaches the equilibrium, the rigid rod rotates an angle θ and the distance between the centers of balls is r, as shown in the above figure. Find the expression for the gravitational constant G.
c)If the small balls are perturbed with small angle from the equilibrium position in (b), will the oscillation be harmonic? If so, find the expression for the period of the oscillation.

upload_2015-4-19_2-4-40.png

Homework Equations

∑τ = Iα
T = 2π/ω

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for part b. But I can't get the answer to part c.

Part b: G = 2π2Lr2θ/(MT2)

Part c:
Let the new angle be θ1
∑τ = Iα
GMmL/(r-0.5θcosθ1)2 - κθ1 = Iα
α = 2GM/(L(r-0.5θcosθ1)2) - 2κθ1/(mL2)
I can't make α=-ω2θ1 to find for ω to solve for T.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't "r" a function of L and θ?

paisiello2 said:
Isn't "r" a function of L and θ?
Originally when it is in equilibrium, the distance between M and m is r. Then the small balls are perturbed with small angle from the equilibrium position, so the new distance between M and m is r-0.5θcosθ.

That's not how I interpret the diagram which clearly shows r depending on the angle θ.

The distance between M and m at equilibrium when θ=0° is r=L/√2.

paisiello2 said:
That's not how I interpret the diagram which clearly shows r depending on the angle θ.

The distance between M and m at equilibrium when θ=0° is r=L/√2.
In part b it says it rotates at an angle θ when it reaches equilibrium. Then in part c it says the small balls are perturbed with small angle from the equilibrium position in part b. So in part c, the new angle isn't it θ+small angle, which we call it θ1. I'll edit my θ in my workings to θ1. I think it's confusing to use the same θ.

OK, I see that now.

This expression is not correct:
r-0.5θcosθ1

For one thing the dimensions are wrong.

Since θ1 is a small angle then a good approximation for the distance between M and m would be:
r' = r-Lθ1

Now you are squaring this number r'. How much different will r2 be from r'2?

paisiello2 said:
OK, I see that now.

This expression is not correct:
r-0.5θcosθ1

For one thing the dimensions are wrong.

Since θ1 is a small angle then a good approximation for the distance between M and m would be:
r' = r-Lθ1

Now you are squaring this number r'. How much different will r2 be from r'2?
Why is it Lθ and not θL/2? Since the radius is L/2.

Yes, you're right, L/2.

paisiello2 said:
Yes, you're right, L/2.
So the new torque would be:
2GMm/(r-0.5Lθ1)2(L/2) - κθ1 = Iα
The answer involves a cosθ and it is not in terms of G. Means I got to use part b answer?

No, do you know how to solve differential equations?

paisiello2 said:
No, do you know how to solve differential equations?
How do I make it into a differential equation? I think I know how to solve them if it is those basic ones.

Edit: Means I got to change α into d2θ/dt2? And solve it so that I will get an equation relating θ and T?

Last edited:
Yes, you got it. The only trick is to simplify the equation by assuming (r-0.5Lθ1)2 is approximately r2 for small θ1.

paisiello2 said:
Yes, you got it. The only trick is to simplify the equation by assuming (r-0.5Lθ1)2 is approximately r2 for small θ1.
It will become 2(GMm/r2 - κθ1) = Lm(d2θ1/dt2). How do you solve this? It is not linear and homogeneous.

I think it's linear. Regardless, you only need to come up with the period. So why not assume θ1 is in the form of a simple harmonic equation?

paisiello2 said:
I think it's linear. Regardless, you only need to come up with the period. So why not assume θ1 is in the form of a simple harmonic equation?
I tried re-arranging the equation into the form of α = -ω2θ so that I can use T = 2π/ω. But I can't separate out θ1 away from the other terms.

Can you solve the homogenous version of this equation?

paisiello2 said:
Can you solve the homogenous version of this equation?
I'm not sure how though. Maybe I haven't learn how to solve this type of differential equations. Is differential equation the only way to solve it?

Afraid so.

paisiello2 said:
Afraid so.
Can you guide me on using differential equation to solve it?
The equation I have now is 2(GMm/r2 - κθ1) = Lm(d2θ1/dt2)

First do what I said in post # 12.

OK, I see that you did that already.

paisiello2 said:
OK, I see that you did that already.
Yeah, how do I continue from there? How do I alter the equation so I can integrate them?

Yoonique said:
I tried re-arranging the equation into the form of α = -ω2θ so that I can use T = 2π/ω. But I can't separate out θ1 away from the other terms.
The net torque may be written $$\tau = \frac{A}{r^2} - \kappa \theta = \frac{A}{(r_0- b\, \delta \theta)^2} - \kappa (\theta_0 +\delta \theta) $$ where ##A## and ##b## are constants.

##r_0## and ##\theta_0## are the equilibrium values of ##r## and ##\theta##, and ##\delta \theta## represents displacement of ##\theta## from equilibrium.

For small ##\delta \theta## you can linearize this expression to get ##\tau = -B \, \delta \theta## for some constant ##B##.

You're right, we forgot the original Kθ term. That will simplify the equation down to:

GMm/r2 + K(θ+θ1) = Iθ1''

(GMm/r2 + Kθ) + Kθ1 = Iθ1''

1 = Iθ1''

If we have simple harmonic motion then we can assume that the solution to the differential equation will take the form:

θ1= A⋅sin(ωt) where A and ω are constants to be determined.

paisiello2 said:
You're right, we forgot the original Kθ term. That will simplify the equation down to:

GMm/r2 + K(θ+θ1) = Iθ1''

(GMm/r2 + Kθ) + Kθ1 = Iθ1''

1 = Iθ1''
Why did you ignore (GMm/r2 + Kθ)?

TSny said:
The net torque may be written $$\tau = \frac{A}{r^2} - \kappa \theta = \frac{A}{(r_0- b\, \delta \theta)^2} - \kappa (\theta_0 +\delta \theta) $$ where ##A## and ##b## are constants.

##r_0## and ##\theta_0## are the equilibrium values of ##r## and ##\theta##, and ##\delta \theta## represents displacement of ##\theta## from equilibrium.

For small ##\delta \theta## you can linearize this expression to get ##\tau = -B \, \delta \theta## for some constant ##B##.
So B/I is ω2?

paisiello2 said:
If we have simple harmonic motion then we can assume that the solution to the differential equation will take the form:

θ1= A⋅sin(ωt) where A and ω are constants to be determined.
How do I determine the constants when I do not have any values to sub into the equation?

Yoonique said:
So B/I is ω2?
Yes.

Once you find B, you will see that there is an approximation you can make to simplify B.

TSny said:
Yes.

Once you find B, you will see that there is an approximation you can make to simplify B.
Okay, but I have a problem. I do not know how to linearize it for the fact that δθ is small. What is the trick here? I mean a lot of the post here tells me to 'simplify it' but I just don't know how to get started. I know (r0 - bδθ)2 ≈ r0 right?

Yoonique said:
Okay, but I have a problem. I do not know how to linearize it for the fact that δθ is small. I know (r0 - bδθ)2 ≈ r0 right?
That's going too far in the approximation.

For ##\frac{1}{(r_0-b \, \delta \theta)^2}##, use the binomial approximation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_approximation

TSny said:
That's going too far in the approximation.

For ##\frac{1}{(r_0-b \, \delta \theta)^2}##, use the binomial approximation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_approximation
So for this question I just got to approximate properly and I can solve for ω? I do not need differential equation?

Yoonique said:
So for this question I just got to approximate properly and I can solve for ω? I do not need differential equation?
That's right. To first order in ##\delta \theta## the differential equation would be the SHM equation ##I \ddot{\delta \theta} = -B \delta \theta##.

So, as you said, ##\omega^2 = \frac{B}{I}##.

TSny said:
That's right. To first order in ##\delta \theta## the differential equation would be the SHM equation ##I \ddot{\delta \theta} = -B \delta \theta##.

So, as you said, ##\omega^2 = \frac{B}{I}##.
Okay I got (GMmL/2)(r0-2 + Lδθr0-3) - κ(θ0+δθ). How can I simplify even further?

Yoonique said:
Okay I got (GMmL/2)(r0-2 + Lδθr0-3) - κ(θ0+δθ). How can I simplify even further?

I don't get the 2 in the numerator of the first factor.

To simplify further, think about the condition that holds at equilbrium.