Measuring Torque Without Torsion Dynamometer

In summary, the conversation discusses how to measure torque without using a Torsion dynamometer. One suggestion is to use the equation τ=Iα, but there may be difficulties due to the changing torque over time. Another suggestion is to attach a spring to the loop and measure the torque at equilibrium. Practical difficulties and adjustments to consider are also mentioned.
AFIST2
1. Homework Statement

hi
i need to perform the experiment described in this link
http://www.phywe.com/index.php/fuseaction/download/lrn_file/versuchsanleitungen/P2430400/e/P2430400.pdf

so i need to measure the torque
in the experiment they use Torsion dynamometer to do the job
but i need to measure the torque without this device
how can i do this manually?2. Homework Equations

τ = m × B = mBsinθ3. The Attempt at a Solution

i really don't have a good idea how to perform this but i may suggest the following ways:

we may use the equation:
τ=Iα
α is the angular acceleration and I is the inertia moment
but i think there is a problem with this because the torque is not constant but it change with time
because the angle between the field and the moment changes in time
so i don't really understand how this is works (what τ exactly they measure?)

another way is to attach a spring to the loop so there is anothe torque (in the opposite direction) that acts on the loop
therefore at equilibrium the magnetic torque will be the same as the spring torque
m × B = kx × r
therfore the torque i need is
τ=kx × r
and these quantities i can measure

please give me your opinions or better ideas to measure the torque

thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The spring sounds good to me, but there are some practical difficulties.
The torque will be small, so you want a very light, stretchy spring. To prevent the loop twisting out of the vertical, I suggest two identical springs, one attached to each side of the loop. If the springs are ferrous, you'll need to make sure they are well outside the magnetic field, attached by long thin strings to the loop.
I assume you want multiple readings, at different rotation angles. You can move the springs closer/further away to adjust the balance point.

thank you very much.. i will take your notes into consideration

AFIST2 said:
thank you very much.. i will take your notes into consideration
Forgot to mention... you'll need to take into account the angle that the strings/springs make to the plane of the loop.

you mean in the expression kx × r = kx⋅r⋅sinβ right?

AFIST2 said:
you mean in the expression kx × r = kx⋅r⋅sinβ right?
Yes.

Related to Measuring Torque Without Torsion Dynamometer

1. How do you measure torque without a torsion dynamometer?

One way to measure torque without a torsion dynamometer is by using a strain gauge. A strain gauge is a device that measures small changes in electrical resistance, which can be correlated to the amount of force or torque being applied. By attaching a strain gauge to a rotating shaft, the torque can be measured based on the amount of strain the shaft experiences.

2. What are some other methods for measuring torque without a torsion dynamometer?

Besides using a strain gauge, other methods for measuring torque without a torsion dynamometer include using an optical torque sensor, a magnetic torque sensor, or a piezoelectric torque sensor. These sensors work by measuring changes in light, magnetic fields, or electrical charge, respectively, caused by the torque being applied to a rotating shaft.

3. How accurate are these alternative methods for measuring torque?

The accuracy of these alternative methods for measuring torque depends on various factors such as the type and quality of the sensor, the calibration process, and the conditions under which the measurement is taken. In general, strain gauges and optical torque sensors tend to have higher accuracy compared to magnetic and piezoelectric sensors.

4. Can these methods be used for measuring torque in all types of applications?

These methods can be used for measuring torque in a wide range of applications, including industrial machines, automotive engines, and even small household devices. However, the specific method used may vary depending on the requirements and constraints of the application.

5. Are there any limitations to measuring torque without a torsion dynamometer?

While these alternative methods can provide accurate measurements of torque, they may not be suitable for all situations. For example, strain gauges may not work well for high-speed rotating shafts, and magnetic sensors may be affected by nearby magnetic interference. It's important to consider the specific requirements of the application when choosing a method for measuring torque without a torsion dynamometer.