Torques and Rotational Equilibrium

In summary, we have three masses (m1, mms, m2) and their respective distances from a pivot point. Using the equation T=r*Fsin(theta), we can calculate the net torque (in N⋅m with the proper sign) by finding the torque of each individual weight and adding them together. The sign of the torque can be determined using the vector cross product of the distance and force vectors. The final answer will depend on the location of the weights relative to the pivot point.
peaceandlove

Homework Statement

The mass m1 is 0.55 kg and it is located at x1 = 30 cm. The pivot point is represented by the solid triangle located at x = 45 cm. The mass of the meter stick (mms = 0.40 kg) is located at its geometric center, xms = 50 cm. The mass m2 is 0.35 kg and it is located at x2 = 80 cm. Calculate the net torque (in N⋅m with the proper sign) due to these three weights. Use g = 9.8 m/s2.

Homework Equations

T=r*Fsin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

Where do I even begin?

Physics news on Phys.org
This might be helpful:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque

That might help you generally determine the sign of your torque.

For the rest of it depending on which side the weights are located from the point of interest, then you just add the moments together (or subtract as appropriate). For the center of mass of the ruler, just use its distance to the pivot as your moment arm.

I'm still really confused.

You have a see saw don't you? It's not like I can see your picture.

Torque is force acting over the distance of the moment arm.

So you have weights. m1 for instance is .55 kg*9.8 and it's (.45m -.3m) away from the pivot. That means the torque of m1 is .55*(.15)*9.8 The sign will be from r X F, the vector cross product, which since r is to the left and F is down looks to me by the right hand rule to be up and out of the page. Counter clockwise being + here.

Figure the moments for the remaining weights and add them up.

Oh, I see. Thanks

Related to Torques and Rotational Equilibrium

What is a torque?

A torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate about an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by its distance from the axis of rotation.

What is rotational equilibrium?

Rotational equilibrium is a state in which an object is not rotating or is rotating at a constant speed. This means that the sum of all torques acting on the object is equal to zero.

How do you calculate the net torque on an object?

To calculate the net torque on an object, you must consider the magnitude and direction of all individual torques acting on the object. The net torque is the sum of all these torques.

What factors affect the torque on an object?

The torque on an object is affected by the magnitude of the force applied, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the angle between the force and the lever arm. A larger force, a longer lever arm, and a greater angle will result in a larger torque.

What is the difference between a clockwise and counterclockwise torque?

A clockwise torque is one that causes an object to rotate in a clockwise direction, while a counterclockwise torque causes the object to rotate in a counterclockwise direction. These directions are determined by the direction in which the force is applied and the direction of the lever arm.