Unstable equilibrium, centre of mass problem

In summary, the problem involves two masses, A and B, placed on the edges of a homogeneous mass of 20 kg, creating an unstable equilibrium. The task is to find the distance x from the left end of the board to the support point. The centre of mass equation is used to solve the problem, with the addition of the mass of the board, resulting in a final answer of 3.25 m. Initially, the mass of the board was not taken into account, but it is important to include it in the calculations as it affects the centre of mass.
Kennedy

Homework Statement

Two masses, A and B, are placed on the edges of a mass of 20 kg which is homogeneously distributed figure such that an unstable equilibrium is achieved. If the mass of A is 12 kg and the mass of B 16 kg, how large is the distance x from the left end of the board to the support point? A) 3 m B) 3.25 m C) 3.4 m D) 3.75 m E) 4 m

Homework Equations

Centre of mass = m1(x1) + (m2)(x2)/(m1 + m2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted this problem but got it wrong, mostly because I don't know what an unstable equilibrium is. I looked it up and it appears to me that any external force that acts on a system with an unstable equilibrium will gravely affect the system. Is this correct? I just went about finding the centre of mass of the system, by doing 12(0) + (16)(6) / (12 + 16) = 3.43 m. So, that was my answer, but it is wrong. I also never used the mass of the board, by I had assumed that since the mass was homogeneously distributed that it wouldn't affect the centre of mass.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kennedy said:

Homework Statement

Two masses, A and B, are placed on the edges of a mass of 20 kg which is homogeneously distributed figure such that an unstable equilibrium is achieved. If the mass of A is 12 kg and the mass of B 16 kg, how large is the distance x from the left end of the board to the support point? A) 3 m B) 3.25 m C) 3.4 m D) 3.75 m E) 4 m

Homework Equations

Centre of mass = m1(x1) + (m2)(x2)/(m1 + m2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted this problem but got it wrong, mostly because I don't know what an unstable equilibrium is. I looked it up and it appears to me that any external force that acts on a system with an unstable equilibrium will gravely affect the system. Is this correct? I just went about finding the centre of mass of the system, by doing 12(0) + (16)(6) / (12 + 16) = 3.43 m. So, that was my answer, but it is wrong. I also never used the mass of the board, by I had assumed that since the mass was homogeneously distributed that it wouldn't affect the centre of mass.

Perhaps best not to assume that. Put the 20kg mass into the calculations - it can't do any harm!

PeroK said:
Perhaps best not to assume that. Put the 20kg mass into the calculations - it can't do any harm!
How would I add it into the calculations? I know its mass is 20 kg, but how do I figure out where the mass is acting?

Kennedy said:
How would I add it into the calculations? I know its mass is 20 kg, but how do I figure out where the mass is acting?

It's homogeneous, so it COM must be in the middle, surely?

PeroK said:
It's homogeneous, so it COM must be in the middle, surely?
You are one hundred percent right! 0(12) + 16(6) + (20)(3) / (20 + 12 +16) = 3.25 m. Thank you. I never thought of adding that in, but I knew that its centre of mass was in the middle.

1. What is an unstable equilibrium?

An unstable equilibrium is a state in which a system is in balance, but any small disturbance or change can cause it to become unbalanced and move away from its original position.

2. How is unstable equilibrium different from stable equilibrium?

Unstable equilibrium is the opposite of stable equilibrium, in which a system will return to its original position after a small disturbance. In unstable equilibrium, the system will continue to move away from its original position.

3. What is the centre of mass in a system?

The centre of mass is the point at which the entire mass of a system can be considered to be concentrated, and the net force acting on the system can be calculated from this point.

4. What is the importance of understanding the centre of mass in unstable equilibrium?

Understanding the centre of mass is crucial in determining the stability of a system in an unstable equilibrium. By calculating the centre of mass and analyzing the forces acting on it, we can predict whether a system will remain in equilibrium or become unbalanced.

5. How can we find the centre of mass in a complex system?

The centre of mass can be found by dividing the total mass of the system by the sum of the individual masses multiplied by their respective distances from a chosen reference point. This process can be repeated for each axis to determine the coordinates of the centre of mass.