Finding unknown mass from a meterstick, balanced equilibrium

In summary, a uniform meter stick with a mass of 100g is supported by a pivot at its 35 cm mark. When an unknown mass is suspended from the 10 cm mark, the system is in equilibrium. To find the value of the unknown mass, we must consider the net torque around the pivot point. Using the formula T = W*r, where T is torque, W is weight, and r is the distance from the pivot, we can calculate the left and right torques and then find the net torque. After converting to SI units and correcting for units, the net torque is calculated to be 14.7 N/cm. Using this value and the formula T = W*r, we can find that the unknown mass
dioxy186
Question: A uniform meter stick off mass Ms = 100g is supported by a pivot at its 35 cm mark. When an unknown mass is suspended from the 10 cm mark, the system is in equilibrium. What is the value of the unknown mass?

Given: Pivot point at 35 cm, and mass of meterstick = 100g.

Attempt:
Do I find the Torque in CW & CCW motion from 35cm and 65 cm, and then subtract my CW torque from CCW to get net torque. And then use the Torque = weight * r (distance from pivot) -> weight=T/r?

(100*9.8 / 1000) = 0.980
T = w*r = (0.98 * 0.35) = 0.343N Left
T = (0.98 * 0.65) = 0.637N Right
Left Torque = (0.343/2)* 35 = 6.003 N/cm
Right Torque = (0.637/2) * 65 = 20.703 N/cm
Net Torque = 20.703 - 6.003 = 14.7 N/cm

T = W*r
14.7 / .25 = 58.8 g?

Physics news on Phys.org
dioxy186 said:
Question: A uniform meter stick off mass Ms = 100g is supported by a pivot at its 35 cm mark. When an unknown mass is suspended from the 10 cm mark, the system is in equilibrium. What is the value of the unknown mass?

Given: Pivot point at 35 cm, and mass of meterstick = 100g.

Attempt:
Do I find the Torque in CW & CCW motion from 35cm and 65 cm, and then subtract my CW torque from CCW to get net torque. And then use the Torque = weight * r (distance from pivot) -> weight=T/r?

If the system is in equilibrium, what must the net torque be about the pivot?
(100*9.8 / 1000) = 0.980
What are the units here?

T = w*r = (0.98 * 0.35) = 0.343N Left
T = (0.98 * 0.65) = 0.637N Right
Are Newtons the correct units for torque?
Left Torque = (0.343/2)* 35 = 6.003 N/cm
Right Torque = (0.637/2) * 65 = 20.703 N/cm
Net Torque = 20.703 - 6.003 = 14.7 N/cm

"N/cm" is how you write "Newtons per centimeter". If you want to express a torque in Newton-centimeters, "N-cm" is acceptable.
T = W*r
14.7 / .25 = 58.8 g?
Did you check the units of your calculation here? You have a torque in Newton-cm and you are dividing by meters. Does that give you grams? Or something else?

Sketch the situation - torques should be computed about the pivot point.

You have used cw/ccw in one place and left/right in another - best practise to be consistent with your notation.
You've done too much work converting to SI units - the conversion factors cancel ... same with the g.

Related to Finding unknown mass from a meterstick, balanced equilibrium

1. How do I use a meterstick to find an unknown mass?

To find an unknown mass using a meterstick, you will need to create a balanced equilibrium. This means that the weight on one side of the meterstick must equal the weight on the other side. This can be achieved by placing known masses on one side and the unknown mass on the other side.

2. What materials do I need to find an unknown mass using a meterstick?

You will need a meterstick, a stand or support to balance the meterstick on, and known masses. It is also helpful to have a marker to make measurements on the meterstick and a calculator to perform calculations.

3. How do I determine the weight of the unknown mass from the balanced equilibrium?

Once you have created a balanced equilibrium using the meterstick and known masses, you can use the principle of moments to determine the weight of the unknown mass. The principle of moments states that the weight on one side of the meterstick multiplied by its distance from the pivot point must equal the weight on the other side multiplied by its distance from the pivot point.

4. Can I find an unknown mass using a meterstick without known masses?

No, you cannot find an unknown mass using only a meterstick. You need known masses to create a balanced equilibrium and use the principle of moments to calculate the weight of the unknown mass.

5. Are there any precautions I should take when finding an unknown mass using a meterstick?

Yes, it is important to make sure the meterstick is securely balanced on the stand or support and that the known masses are evenly distributed on one side. It is also important to make accurate measurements and use the correct formula when calculating the weight of the unknown mass.