Topology: ##\mathscr{T}_{2.5}\Rightarrow\mathscr{T}_2##

• Thread starter Kevin_H
  • Start date
  • Tags
    topology
In summary: Thank You very much for the feedback. I was originally thinking of approaching it that way, but I wasn't sure if I was allowed to assume the closure had an open subset containing ##x##. Now that I know, I can assume both ##\overline{U}## and ##\overline{V}## have open neighborhoods containing their respective point, ##x\in B## and ##y\in A##. Since the closures are disjoint, then their open subsets should also be disjoint; satisfying the conditions for Hausdorff.
Kevin_H
The book I am using for my Introduction to Topology course is Principles of Topology by Fred H. Croom.

We are going over separation axioms in class when we were asked to prove that every Urysohn Space is a Hausdorff.

What I understand:
  • A space ##X## is Urysohn space provided whenever for any two distinct points of ##X## there are neighborhoods of ##U## of ##x## and ##V## of ##y## such that ##\overline{U}\cap \overline{V}=\emptyset.##
  • A space ##X## is Hausdorff if for any two distinct points of ##X## can be separated by open neighborhoods ##(x\in U,y\in V,U\cap V=\emptyset)##.
My rough attempt at proving this:
  • Given ##(X,\mathscr{T})## to be a Urysohn space, let ##x,y\in X## be distinct points. Then there are neighborhoods of ##U## of ##x## and ##V## of ##y## such that ##\overline{U}\cap \overline{V}=\emptyset##. We seek to prove there exists ##x\in B## open ##\subset X## and ##y\in A## open ##\subset X## such that ##A\cap B=\emptyset##. Consider ##X\setminus\overline{U}##. This is an open neighborhood of ##y##, thus there exists ##y\in A\subset\overline{A}\subset X\setminus\overline{U}##. Consider ##X\setminus \overline{A}##. This is an open neighborhood of ##x##, thus there exist ##x\in B\subset X\setminus\overline{A}.## Thus ##A\cap B=\emptyset##. QED.
Is my proof okay? Am I missing anything? Any suggestions? If you need me to clarify anything, please let me know. Thank you for taking the time to read this post. I greatly appreciate any assistance you may provide.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kevin_H said:
The book I am using for my Introduction to Topology course is Principles of Topology by Fred H. Croom.

We are going over separation axioms in class when we were asked to prove that every Urysohn Space is a Hausdorff.

What I understand:
  • A space ##X## is Urysohn space provided whenever for any two distinct points of ##X## there are neighborhoods of ##U## of ##x## and ##V## of ##y## such that ##\overline{U}\cap \overline{V}=\emptyset.##
  • A space ##X## is Hausdorff if for any two distinct points of ##X## can be separated by open neighborhoods ##(x\in U,y\in V,U\cap V=\emptyset)##.
My rough attempt at proving this:
  • Given ##(X,\mathscr{T})## to be a Urysohn space, let ##x,y\in X## be distinct points. Then there are neighborhoods of ##U## of ##x## and ##V## of ##y## such that ##\overline{U}\cap \overline{V}=\emptyset##. We seek to prove there exists ##x\in B## open ##\subset X## and ##y\in A## open ##\subset X## such that ##A\cap B=\emptyset##. Consider ##X\setminus\overline{U}##. This is an open neighborhood of ##y##, thus there exists ##y\in A\subset\overline{A}\subset X\setminus\overline{U}##. Consider ##X\setminus \overline{A}##. This is an open neighborhood of ##x##, thus there exist ##x\in B\subset X\setminus\overline{A}.## Thus ##A\cap B=\emptyset##. QED.
Is my proof okay? Am I missing anything? Any suggestions? If you need me to clarify anything, please let me know. Thank you for taking the time to read this post. I greatly appreciate any assistance you may provide.

The proof is ok. I might do a little more direct approach. If ##\overline U## is a neighborhood of ##x##, doesn't that mean that it contains an open set that contains ##x##? Why not just use that?

Likes Kevin_H
Dick said:
The proof is ok. I might do a little more direct approach. If ##\overline U## is a neighborhood of ##x##, doesn't that mean that it contains an open set that contains ##x##? Why not just use that?

Thank You very much for the feedback. I was originally thinking of approaching it that way, but I wasn't sure if I was allowed to assume the closure had an open subset containing ##x##. Now that I know, I can assume both ##\overline{U}## and ##\overline{V}## have open neighborhoods containing their respective point, ##x\in B## and ##y\in A##. Since the closures are disjoint, then their open subsets should also be disjoint; satisfying the conditions for Hausdorff.

Related to Topology: ##\mathscr{T}_{2.5}\Rightarrow\mathscr{T}_2##

1. What is the difference between the T2 and T2.5 topologies?

The T2 topology, also known as the Hausdorff topology, is a type of topological space where any two distinct points have disjoint neighborhoods. This means that given any two points in the space, there exists an open set containing one point but not the other. On the other hand, the T2.5 topology is a weaker version of T2 where only finite sets of points have disjoint neighborhoods. This means that given any finite set of points, there exists an open set containing one point but not the others.

2. How do I know if a topological space is T2 or T2.5?

To determine if a topological space is T2 or T2.5, you can check if the space satisfies the axioms of either topology. For T2, you need to check if any two distinct points in the space have disjoint neighborhoods. For T2.5, you need to check if any finite set of points in the space have disjoint neighborhoods. If both conditions are satisfied, then the space is T2. If only the second condition is satisfied, then the space is T2.5.

3. Can a T2.5 topology be stronger than a T2 topology?

No, a T2.5 topology can never be stronger than a T2 topology. This is because T2 is a stronger condition than T2.5, meaning that a space satisfying T2 will also satisfy T2.5, but the converse is not true. A T2 topology guarantees that any two distinct points have disjoint neighborhoods, while a T2.5 topology only guarantees this for finite sets of points.

4. What are some examples of spaces that are T2.5 but not T2?

One example of a space that is T2.5 but not T2 is the cofinite topology on an infinite set. In this topology, the open sets are the empty set and any set that contains all but finitely many points from the underlying set. This topology is T2.5 because any finite set of points will have disjoint neighborhoods, but it is not T2 because any two non-empty open sets will always intersect.

5. How are T2 and T2.5 topologies used in mathematics?

T2 and T2.5 topologies are important concepts in topology and are used in various areas of mathematics, including analysis, algebraic topology, and differential geometry. They allow us to define and study different types of topological spaces with varying degrees of separation between points. They also have applications in other fields such as physics and computer science.