Set inclusion in topological space

In summary: Now, suppose that there is an open set ##V## such that ##x \in V \subset B^c##. Then, by definition of subset, ##U \cap V \subset (A \cap B)##. So, by the hypothesis, ##U \cap (A \cap B) \subset \overline{A} \cap B^c##, which is what we wanted.
mahler1
Homework Statement .

Let ##X## be a topological space and let ##A,B \subset X##. Then

(1) ##A \cap \overline{B} \subset \overline{A \cap B}## when ##A## is open

(2) ##\overline{A} \setminus \overline{B} \subset \overline {A \setminus B}##.

The attempt at a solution.

In (1), using the properties (which I've already proved) that ##\overline{A \cap B} \subset \overline {A} \cap \overline{B}## and ##\overline{\overline{A}}=\overline{A}##, I have ##\overline{A \cap \overline{B}} \subset \overline{A} \cap \overline{\overline{B}}=\overline{A} \cap \overline {B}##. From here I couldn't arrive to anything and I don't know how to use the fact that ##A## is open.

In (2), I've tried to express ##\overline{A} \setminus \overline{B}=\overline{A} \cap {\overline {B}}^c##. I want to show that the subset is contained in ##\overline{A \setminus B}##, in order to do this I should show that for every ##x \in \overline{A} \cap {\overline {B}}^c## and for every open set ##U## with ##x \in U##, I have ##U \cap (\overline{A \setminus B}) \neq \emptyset.## So, if ##x \in \overline {A} \cap {\overline B}^c##, then for every ##U## open with ##x \in U##, ##U \cap A \neq \emptyset## and there is an open set ##V## with ##x \in V \subset \overline {B}^c##. I didn't know how to continue from that point.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with nets? For all ##E\subset X##, we have ##x\in\overline E## if and only if x is the limit of a net in E. Also, every open neighborhood of x contains a point from E.

This is an example of how a convergent net can be found: For all x in X, the set of all open neighborhoods of x is a directed set. If you choose one point from each of those sets, you end up with a net that converges to x.

One idea for problem 1 is to let ##x\in A\cap\overline B## be arbitrary, and then use that x is an interior point of A to find a net in ##A\cap B## that converges to x. This approach seems to work, but I haven't made 100% sure.

I don't have time to think about problem 2 right now. Need to get some sleep.

Likes 1 person
mahler1 said:
Homework Statement .

Let ##X## be a topological space and let ##A,B \subset X##. Then

(1) ##A \cap \overline{B} \subset \overline{A \cap B}## when ##A## is open

(2) ##\overline{A} \setminus \overline{B} \subset \overline {A \setminus B}##.

The attempt at a solution.

In (1), using the properties (which I've already proved) that ##\overline{A \cap B} \subset \overline {A} \cap \overline{B}## and ##\overline{\overline{A}}=\overline{A}##, I have ##\overline{A \cap \overline{B}} \subset \overline{A} \cap \overline{\overline{B}}=\overline{A} \cap \overline {B}##. From here I couldn't arrive to anything and I don't know how to use the fact that ##A## is open.

In (2), I've tried to express ##\overline{A} \setminus \overline{B}=\overline{A} \cap {\overline {B}}^c##. I want to show that the subset is contained in ##\overline{A \setminus B}##, in order to do this I should show that for every ##x \in \overline{A} \cap {\overline {B}}^c## and for every open set ##U## with ##x \in U##, I have ##U \cap (\overline{A \setminus B}) \neq \emptyset.## So, if ##x \in \overline {A} \cap {\overline B}^c##, then for every ##U## open with ##x \in U##, ##U \cap A \neq \emptyset## and there is an open set ##V## with ##x \in V \subset \overline {B}^c##. I didn't know how to continue from that point.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

For (1), ##A## open is a necessary condition. So you need to use it somewhere. I would recommend working from "first principles" - i.e. the definitions of closure and intersection - rather than trying to invoke other theorems or De Morgan's laws. Though depending on your definition of closure, you may need to use some elementary results.

For (2), you might find (1) at least partly useful. Remember, ##\overline B^c## is an open set. I haven't worked it all the way through, but it could turn out to be a follow-your-nose kind of deal after using that.

Likes 1 person
gopher_p said:
For (1), ##A## open is a necessary condition. So you need to use it somewhere. I would recommend working from "first principles" - i.e. the definitions of closure and intersection - rather than trying to invoke other theorems or De Morgan's laws. Though depending on your definition of closure, you may need to use some elementary results.

For (2), you might find (1) at least partly useful. Remember, ##\overline B^c## is an open set. I haven't worked it all the way through, but it could turn out to be a follow-your-nose kind of deal after using that.

You're right about using (1) for (2): Since ##{\overline{B}}^c## is open, then ##\overline{A} \cap {\overline{B}}^c \subset \overline {A \cap B^c}=\overline {A \setminus B}##.

I think I could solve (1). Suppose ##x \in A \cap \overline{B}##. I want to show that for all ##U## open such that ##x \in U##, we have ##U \cap (A \cap B) \neq \emptyset##. So let ##x \in U## open, since ##x \in A##, ##U \cap A \neq \emptyset##. Now, ##A## is also open, so ##U \cap A## is open and as ##x \in \overline{B}##, then ##\emptyset \neq (U \cap A) \cap B=U \cap (A \cap B)##, which is what I wanted to prove.

Thanks for the help!

Related to Set inclusion in topological space

1. What is set inclusion in topological space?

Set inclusion in topological space refers to the relationship between two sets within a topological space. It means that every element in the first set is also contained in the second set.

2. How is set inclusion determined in topological space?

Set inclusion is determined by the open sets in a topological space. If every open set in the first set is also an open set in the second set, then the first set is said to be included in the second set.

3. What is the importance of set inclusion in topological space?

Set inclusion is important in topological space because it allows us to define and understand the structure and properties of a topological space. It also helps us to make comparisons between different topological spaces.

4. Can set inclusion be reversed in topological space?

Yes, set inclusion can be reversed in topological space. If every open set in the second set is also an open set in the first set, then the second set is said to be included in the first set.

5. Are there any exceptions to set inclusion in topological space?

Yes, there are certain exceptions to set inclusion in topological space. For example, the empty set is a subset of every topological space, but it is not considered to be included in any other set. Also, in some cases, two sets may have the same open sets, but one set may have additional open sets that the other does not, making it not included in the other set.