Topics for electrical engineering ethics

In summary, the assignment is to write about a documented case like the "Challenger" incident type of situation. Depending on the answer to that, one possibility would certainly be advanced wiretaps/EM intercepts/snooping, mostly in relation to national security. Other areas could be discussed such as the ethics of Microsoft's buisiness practices in the last 5 years (and maybe compare and contrast that to the early years of Microsoft, as described in the book "Fire in the Valley"). There is also a possibility of discussing weaponry.
frogdogbb
I am having trouble coming up with a topic for a research paper dealing with something related to the Eletrical engineering/ technology field. It has to be something that has happened within the last five years. Any idea's?
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
About ethics in the EE field, and about a real incident that took place in the last 5 years? Or can it just be about EE and ethics, and about things that may have happened in the last 5 years?

Depending on the answer to that, one possibility would certainly be advanced wiretaps/EM intercepts/snooping, mostly in relation to national security. You can talk about how much supercomputing power is being used by the NSA and why, in addition to the different EE technologies that are used for data gathering and processing. Pretty interesting subject overall, even though there are difficult civil liberty ramifications involved.

In other areas, you could talk about the ethics of Microsoft's buisiness practices in the last 5 years (and maybe compare and contrast that to the early years of Microsoft, as described in the book "Fire in the Valley"). I'm mostly Microsoft-neutral, so I don't know if there's anything juicy in there in the last 5 years like there was in the first 5 years, though.

How much EE content is there in the genetic testing controversy? Maybe there are some new electroncs involved in the testing that may have some ethical/moral facets.

Just throwing out some ideas.

Ooo, ooo, how about this one? The ethics of members of the EE forum on the Physics and Math forums, trying to keep an uninformed poster from making a home-brew electrical device to use in his food sales business (and maybe getting a bunch of his customers sick...)

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=153282

I think I will stay away from any homemade food warming/containment devices. I will let you experts lend advise as you choose:smile:
The paper assingment is quite vauge at this point I asked for clarification from my instruction via email but no response. Anyway I think it is supposed to be about a documented case like the "Challenger" incident type of situation. I should pick a side and support that case. I just need something that has happened within' the last five years?

I just googled engineering ethics, and got lots of hits. You can browse through some of these to see if they apply to EE, or you could add the keyword electrical into the search terms to let google do some of the pruning for you. Might yield some other ideas.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=engineering+ethics

berkeman said:
Ooo, ooo, how about this one? The ethics of members of the EE forum on the Physics and Math forums, trying to keep an uninformed poster from making a home-brew electrical device to use in his food sales business (and maybe getting a bunch of his customers sick...)

Haha, indeed!

The ideas which sprung to my mind involve weaponry. Ethical issues are more than present for the use of things like stun guns, Tasers, and the heat ray things that have been discussed in depth recently.

frogdogbb said:
The paper assingment is quite vauge at this point I asked for clarification from my instruction via email but no response.

Discuss the ethics of a professor that requires a student to communicate in electronic form but does not respond.

yea that would be a good one WFO I guess he is pretty busy. I decieded on a engineering topic unrelated to electrical since I could not find many situations. I re-read the instructions and it says engineering problem and does not specify on it being in our field so I choose the Levy system in New Orleans mainly because it is well documented easy to find info.

Related to Topics for electrical engineering ethics

1. What is the importance of ethics in electrical engineering?

Ethics is crucial in the field of electrical engineering because engineers have a direct impact on the safety and well-being of the public. Electrical engineers are responsible for designing and creating systems that can potentially harm individuals if not done ethically and with proper consideration for safety.

2. What are some common ethical issues that arise in electrical engineering?

Some common ethical issues in electrical engineering include conflicts of interest, plagiarism, safety concerns, and environmental impact. For example, engineers may face conflicts of interest when they are asked to design a product that may harm the environment or when they have financial stakes in the project they are working on.

3. How do electrical engineers ensure ethical practices in their work?

Electrical engineers can ensure ethical practices by following a code of ethics, staying up-to-date on industry standards and regulations, and seeking guidance from experienced professionals. They should also consider the potential impact of their work on society and the environment and prioritize safety and integrity in their designs and decisions.

4. What are the consequences of unethical behavior in electrical engineering?

Unethical behavior in electrical engineering can have serious consequences, both for individuals and for society. It can lead to harm to individuals, damage to the environment, legal repercussions, and damage to the reputation of the engineering profession. It can also undermine public trust in the safety and reliability of electrical systems.

5. What resources are available for further learning about electrical engineering ethics?

There are many resources available for learning about electrical engineering ethics, including online courses, books, articles, and professional organizations. Some organizations, such as the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), have specific codes of ethics and resources for engineers to refer to. Additionally, many universities include courses on ethics in their electrical engineering curriculum.