Too old to start playing the piano?

• Thread starter alias25
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Piano
In summary: I don't think it's a waste of time to try now. With enough dedication and effort, you can learn how to play the piano well.
alias25
im 17 and i have a keyboard at home i used to do keyboards in yr 6 in school and went on to do it in yr 7 but the teacher was crap and was taking a lot of money so i quit. but i really want to learn to play the piano. most of my friends play an instrument and they've been playing since they were like 6 or 8. do you think i should try now or will it be just a waste of time because it takes years to learn?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you're too old to learn to play the piano.
It does depend on what level of proficiency you are aiming for, but if you are motivated and are able to self-study a lot you can go a really long way.

Besides that, playing an instrument and makin gmusic is fun! The piano in particular because it's very versatile.
When I take a break, I love to play on my keyboard (don't have room for a piano) and I usually can't stop for a few hours.

I agree that you're not too old to learn how to play. I began learning last year, after my 16th birthday. Prior to that, though, I had some previous musical experience. That might've helped. As Galileo has said, motivation and self-study are the keys to learning.

I am 21 and have just begun to learn how to play the piano.

I'm 25 and have been playing the piano for about 3 years. I can perform the 2nd movement of Beethoeven's Piano Sonata No. 8 with decent proficiency. I also have Chopin's Nocturne No. 2 in E-Flat (Opus 90) down pretty well. Both of those pieces have a pretty slow tempo. I also know a few other pieces, but have diffuculty the faster the tempo is. I am completely self-taught, although I did have a semester in theory which helped me to read music better. The way I learn a piece is by hearing it first and then translating the sheet music slowly. I cannot read on the fly unless its something incredibly simple.

If its something you want to do to impress people or just because everyone else is doing it, then its not worth it. On the other hand, if you love the instrument as I do, then you are never too old!

If you really decide to take the plunge, my advice is this: Practice as often as you can, ideally everyday, for about 1-2 hours. Get an instructor if possible. Find music which is simple but which you enjoy playing.

Your are partially right in that if you are looking to become the next David Horowitz or Alfred Brendl, you are out of luck. To be a world famous concert pianist requires a pretty particular upbringing that 99.9% of the population doesn't get. But who cares? Its my hobby, its something I enjoy doing. I know a lot of people are better than me, but its irrelevant.

I started to learn at 17 as well- when I started making synth music and bought a synth/sampler- it only took about 2-3 years and I was comfortable playing complex improvised Tangerine Dream/ Berlin School stuff live-

Last edited:
When you're so dead that you can't reach the keys..

Let me know if you have any other questions;)

so-crates said:
I'm 25 and have been playing the piano for about 3 years. I can perform the 2nd movement of Beethoeven's Piano Sonata No. 8 with decent proficiency. I also have Chopin's Nocturne No. 2 in E-Flat (Opus 90) down pretty well.
Waow ! Depending on how much energy and time you put into it you are still talented :approve:
Both of those pieces have a pretty slow tempo. I also know a few other pieces, but have diffuculty the faster the tempo is.
The slower the more difficult ! Technics is nothing. You can get it pretty fast. Interpretation comes with maturity. Especially, Beethoven is difficult. Chopin is always fake improvisation, which makes it rather pleasant and not too difficult.

If you really decide to take the plunge, my advice is this: Practice as often as you can, ideally everyday, for about 1-2 hours. Get an instructor if possible. Find music which is simple but which you enjoy playing.
Right, now I understand where you are :smile: In the right place for piano (or other forms of art by the way). Passionated, you cannot live without it anymore.

Maybe you should give a try to jazz. Thelonious Monk uses vety few notes, which is noce for the beginer. I would recommend him, if you like to try strange, unusal, funny rythms.

alias25 said:
do you think i should try now or will it be just a waste of time because it takes years to learn?
Welcome in the piano world !

Once Picasso was reproached with the fact that it took him only 15 minutes to create an entire painting. He answered "But it took me 60 years !" When he began, he was able to reproduce so fast classical style. He quickly invented his own.

So you see, it is true that developping art feelings takes forever. It takes the time it required you to reach your level. This is the only important thing : you play piano because you enjoy it inside, because only piano brings those feeling to you. This will get better and better with time. I am agreed that the level does not matter.

Please, do not mention the terms "waste of time" and any other related to creative artistic activities in the same sentence :smile:

Last edited:
Ha - i wanted to learn the piano too and guess what, A THREAD ON IT!

I have played before (like 7 years ago) but want to know if i can still get to the level of the guy in Coldplay!

Think it's possible anyone?? and if so, how hard do i have to practice then?

it doesn't matter parents won't pay for the lessons and they don't think ill cope with As comming up.

Last edited:
I've played an instrument for most of my life, and in my oppinion it's about if you like to practice alot, and whether you have a balance in your life. Not if you've played it alot. I started to play piano when I was 16, and the first piece I made was Toccata& Fuge in D minor by Bach.

alias25 said:
im 17 and i have a keyboard at home i used to do keyboards in yr 6 in school and went on to do it in yr 7 but the teacher was crap and was taking a lot of money so i quit. but i really want to learn to play the piano. most of my friends play an instrument and they've been playing since they were like 6 or 8. do you think i should try now or will it be just a waste of time because it takes years to learn?
You should have considered this matter more seriously before reaching puberty, what were you thinking?! :confused:

Seriously now, it will only take a few minutes to master ‘chopsticks’ and from that point on the world should be your oyster. :approve:

Good luck

This is why I love this website.

No matter who you are, they motivate you to do whatever you feel like doing.

Personally, an eager mind is never too old to learn anything.

Related to Too old to start playing the piano?

1. Can you start playing the piano at an older age?

Yes, you can start playing the piano at any age. It's never too late to learn and enjoy the benefits of playing music.

2. Is it harder to learn the piano when you're older?

Learning any new skill may be more challenging as we age, but it is certainly possible to learn the piano at any age. With practice and dedication, anyone can become a proficient pianist.

3. Will it take longer for me to learn the piano as an older beginner?

It may take longer to learn the piano as an older beginner compared to a younger one, but this varies from person to person. Some older beginners may have a natural talent for music and may progress quickly with the right instruction and practice.

4. What are the benefits of starting to play the piano at an older age?

Playing the piano has many benefits, including improving cognitive skills, reducing stress, and increasing hand-eye coordination. For older adults, it can also provide a creative outlet and a sense of accomplishment.

5. Is it too late to become a professional pianist if I start at an older age?

It may be more challenging to become a professional pianist if you start at an older age, but it is not impossible. Many successful musicians started playing later in life and achieved great success through hard work and dedication. It's never too late to pursue your passion for music.