Will the Theory of Everything Mark the End of Physics?

In summary, there is a misconception that the discovery of a "theory of everything" would result in the end of physics, but this is not true as there will always be new phenomena to explore and apply the theory to. Additionally, the language and complexity of the theory may require the expertise of theoretical physicists to interpret and utilize it. Furthermore, the concept of a "theory of everything" is a fallacy as there will always be more to discover and understand. Therefore, the science of physics will continue to evolve and progress, as seen with the ongoing discoveries in chemistry despite the discovery of all natural chemical elements.
membrane
Hey.
I've heard from several physicists that in the next few years, physics might come to an end after completion of the theory of everything and that basically, there's not going to be anything new to research in physics.

What are your thoughts on the matter? Do you think such a theory is possible? Are we close to formulating it and will it indeed end physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the next few years?

Maybe in the next 100 years we will have a theory of everything, but it's highly unlikely.

It is more likely that we will become less optimistic about a theory of everything. We may even have theories of why there is not a theory of anything. Who knows? We are a long way away...

Plus, even with a theory of everything, the possibilities in physics and engineering is limitless

In 1992 I'd heard from Fukuyama that history has already ended.
10 years later a quick walk through Manhattan showed me he was rather wrong.

Read some texts from end of 19th century. Physics was already just-just-ending over 100 years ago.

Even if a "theory of everything" was created (meaning some equation that governs all fundamental interactions), there are still lots of issues with how that relates to larger scale phenomena. For example, General Relativity describes gravity very accurately, but you still have entire journals dedicated to applications of the EFEs in different theoretical cosmic situations.

Not to mention there are many seemingly simple phenomena which has yet to be explained. A consistent theory of friction for example.

Even if we find a Theory of Everything in the next couple years it will definitely not be the end of physics. It will just provide us with a consistent frame to work with. There are endless applications that will require physicists and engineers to design/test/model, etc. etc. etc.

Clever-Name said:
Even if we find a Theory of Everything in the next couple years it will definitely not be the end of physics. It will just provide us with a consistent frame to work with. There are endless applications that will require physicists and engineers to design/test/model, etc. etc. etc.

Well, definitely not engineers but will there be a use for theoretical physicists?

membrane said:
Well, definitely not engineers but will there be a use for theoretical physicists?

Sure! Why not? Not everyone is going to have the brains to understand and interpret the theory of everything. If String Theory and LQG are any indicators as to what the language of the TOE might be in then we're definitely going to need Mathematical/Theoretical Physicists around to interpret and improve upon the theory.

There is also the problem of HOW we can apply the new Theory of Everything. We can easily state once we've found it that yes we know how everything works! But how can we take that and apply it to something that might be of some use to society. As I have already stated the language of the TOE will be very complex and I feel like what we now call theoretical physicists will be the ones who step in and suggest ideas of how to employ it.

I see. Thanks for the answers.
All I can say is I hope they won't find it. It'll suck if we'll just know how the universe works and end of story.
It's this little contradiction of scientifically minded people that we want to know, and yet we never want to know everything so that there's always something new to discover.

membrane said:
Hey.
I've heard from several physicists that in the next few years, physics might come to an end after completion of the theory of everything and that basically, there's not going to be anything new to research in physics.

What are your thoughts on the matter? Do you think such a theory is possible? Are we close to formulating it and will it indeed end physics?

There's no such thing as a "theory of everything".

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=508024

Zz.

Roger Penrose wrote that even if we stopped collecting and discovering data and facts, there is still a lifetime of reconciling all that information and making discoveries from what we already have.

ZapperZ said:
There's no such thing as a "theory of everything".

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=508024

Zz.

Well, I wasn't taking the term 'theory of everything' literally of course. I was specifically asking if the discovery of it would result in the end of the science of physics, and also how likely we are to see this theory anytime soon.

membrane said:
Well, I wasn't taking the term 'theory of everything' literally of course. I was specifically asking if the discovery of it would result in the end of the science of physics, and also how likely we are to see this theory anytime soon.

But isn't THAT the whole implication of this TOE being the "end of physics"? That someone thinks that after such discovery, no more new and interesting stuff are left?

So yes, it is literally THE theory of everything! And that is a fallacy.

Zz.

Well, glad to hear that it's a fallacy!Thanks everybody!

How come membrane's post counter shows 0, yet he has 5 posts only in this thread.

/Fredrik

Actually, good question.

Fra said:
How come membrane's post counter shows 0, yet he has 5 posts only in this thread.

/Fredrik

The statistics show membrane has only posted in General Discussion. Posts don't count in this forum.

By the end of the 1950's science had discovered all the natural chemical elements of the universe.

Has the science of chemistry come to a grinding halt and all the chemists gone to pasture?

Newai said:
The statistics show membrane has only posted in General Discussion. Posts don't count in this forum.

If they did, some of us would have a bazillion :redface:.

So either the counter state or the posters here are destined to loose mass, this might be my last post in this section.

/Fredrik

lisab said:
If they did, some of us would have a bazillion :redface:.

Bazillion is an accurate scientific quantity by the way. I believe it is a jllion zillion.

The end of physics will come with the TON.

Related to Will the Theory of Everything Mark the End of Physics?

1. What is the "Theory of Everything" (TOE)?

The Theory of Everything, also known as the "Theory of Unified Field" or "Grand Unified Theory", is a hypothetical framework in physics that aims to explain and unify all fundamental forces and particles in the universe.

2. Why is the TOE important?

The TOE is important because it seeks to answer the fundamental questions about the nature of our universe, such as the origin of matter, the forces that govern it, and the nature of space and time. It would also provide a complete understanding of the laws of physics and potentially open up new avenues for scientific discoveries and advancements.

3. What is the current progress towards the TOE?

The search for the TOE has been ongoing for decades, and many theories have been proposed, such as String Theory, Loop Quantum Gravity, and Supersymmetry. However, there is currently no widely accepted theory that can fully explain and unify all fundamental forces and particles.

4. Will the TOE mark the end of physics?

While the TOE is often referred to as the "end of physics", it is important to note that even if a complete theory is discovered, there will always be room for further exploration and understanding of the universe. The TOE would simply provide a more comprehensive and unified framework for the laws of physics.

5. How will the discovery of the TOE impact society?

The discovery of the TOE would have significant impacts on society, as it would lead to a better understanding of the universe and potentially revolutionize technology. It could also have implications for fields such as medicine and energy production. Additionally, the TOE could inspire future generations to pursue careers in science and contribute to further advancements in our understanding of the universe.