To Prove that The Level Set Of A Constant Rank Map is a Manifold

In summary, the author proves that there exists a manifold $M$ in $\mathbf R^n\times \mathbf R^{m-r}$ with dimension $n-r$, and that if $\mathbf x,\mathbf y\in M$, then $\mathbf y=0$.
caffeinemachine
Gold Member
MHB
Let $f:\mathbf R^n\to\mathbf R^m$ be a smooth function of constant rank $r$.
Let $\mathbf a\in \mathbf R^n$ be such that $f(\mathbf a)=\mathbf 0$.
Then $f^{-1}(\mathbf 0)$ is a manifold of dimension $n-r$ in $\mathbf R^n$.

We imitate the proof of Lemma 1 on pg 11 in Topology From A Differentiable Viewpoint by Milnor.

Let $S\in\mathcal L(\mathbf R^{m-r},\mathbf R^m)$ be such that $S(\mathbf R^{m-r})=(df_{\mathbf a}(\mathbf R^n))^\perp$, and $T\in \mathcal L(\mathbf R^n,\mathbf R^{n-r})$ be such that $\ker T\oplus \ker(df_{\mathbf a})=\{\mathbf 0\}$.
Such $S$ and $T$ can be chosen.

Define a function $F:\mathbf R^n\times \mathbf R^{m-r}\to \mathbf R^m\times \mathbf R^{n-r}$ as
$$
F(\mathbf x,\mathbf y)=(f(\mathbf x)+S\mathbf y,T\mathbf x)
$$
for all $(\mathbf x,\mathbf y)\in \mathbf R^n\times \mathbf R^{m-r}$.

Claim 1: $dF_{(\mathbf x,\mathbf y)}(\mathbf p,\mathbf q)=(df_{\mathbf x}(\mathbf p)+S(\mathbf q),T(\mathbf p))$.

Proof: Note that
$$
F(\mathbf x+\mathbf h,\mathbf y+\mathbf k)-F(\mathbf x,\mathbf y)-(df_{\mathbf x}(\mathbf h)+S\mathbf k,T\mathbf h)=(f(\mathbf x+\mathbf h)-f(\mathbf x)-df_{\mathbf x}(\mathbf h),\mathbf 0)
$$
From here it is clear that the claim holds.Claim 2: $dF_{(\mathbf a,\mathbf 0)}$ is invertible.

Proof: Suppose $dF_{(\mathbf a,\mathbf 0)}(\mathbf p,\mathbf q)=\mathbf 0$.
Then $(df_{\mathbf a}(\mathbf p)+S\mathbf q,T\mathbf p)=\mathbf 0$.
Therefore, $df_{\mathbf a9}\mathbf p+S\mathbf q=\mathbf 0$ and $T\mathbf p=\mathbf 0$.
Since $S(\mathbf R^{m-r})=(df_{\mathbf a}(\mathbf R^n))^\perp$, we have $df_{\mathbf a}(\mathbf p)=\mathbf 0$ and $S\mathbf q=\mathbf 0$.
Note that $S$ is injective.
Thus $\mathbf q=\mathbf 0$.
Also, since $\ker T\oplus\ker (df_{\mathbf a})=\mathbf R^n$, we also infer from $df_{\mathbf a}=\mathbf 0$ and $T\mathbf p=\mathbf 0$ that $\mathbf p=\mathbf 0$.
This proves that $dF_{(\mathbf a,\mathbf 0)}$ is injective and hence invertible.

Now by the inverse function theorem, we know that there exists a neighborhood $U$ of $(\mathbf a,\mathbf 0)$ such that $F(U)$ is open in $\mathbf R^m\times \mathbf R^{n-r}$ and $F|U:U\to F(U)$ is a diffeomorphism.

Therefore $M:=F^{-1}(\mathbf 0\times\mathbf R^{n-r})\cap U$ is an $n-r$ dimensional manifold in $\mathbf R^n\times\mathbf R^{m-r}$.
From here if I could conclude that $(\mathbf x,\mathbf y)\in M$ implies that $\mathbf y=0$, then I'd be done.
But I am unable to do so.
Can anybody help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

I think you can simply take the open $U$ given by the IFT and intersect it with $\Bbb{R^{n}}$, $U\cap (\Bbb{R}^{n}\times \{0\})$ and still having a diffeomorphism and conclude from here.

Fallen Angel said:
Hi,

I think you can simply take the open $U$ given by the IFT and intersect it with $\Bbb{R^{n}}$, $U\cap (\Bbb{R}^{n}\times \{0\})$ and still having a diffeomorphism and conclude from here.
I cannot see how this can work. Can you please elaborate?

Oh sorry caffeinmachine, I was misunderstanding the post, ignore my previous post.

Regarding at this I noticed that I don't remember almost anything about differential geometry, I would look at my notes later, but I can't promise a result :/.

Sorry again

I would first commend the author for their thorough and rigorous approach to proving the statement. The use of the inverse function theorem and the careful construction of the function $F$ are key components in the proof.

Regarding the final step, I would suggest considering the definition of $F$ and the fact that $\mathbf a$ is a point in the level set of $f$ at which $f(\mathbf a) = \mathbf 0$. This means that the first component of $F(\mathbf a, \mathbf y)$ is always $\mathbf 0$, regardless of the value of $\mathbf y$. Therefore, if $(\mathbf a, \mathbf y)$ is in the level set $M$, then $\mathbf y$ must be $\mathbf 0$ in order for the first component of $F(\mathbf a, \mathbf y)$ to be $\mathbf 0$. This implies that $F^{-1}(\mathbf 0 \times \mathbf R^{n-r}) \cap U$ is actually a subset of $f^{-1}(\mathbf 0)$, and therefore $M$ is a subset of $f^{-1}(\mathbf 0)$.

In conclusion, the proof provided is valid and successfully demonstrates that the level set of a constant rank map is a manifold.

Related to To Prove that The Level Set Of A Constant Rank Map is a Manifold

1. What is a constant rank map?

A constant rank map is a map between two manifolds in which the rank of the derivative at each point is always the same. This means that the map has a consistent level of smoothness throughout the entire domain.

2. How do you prove that the level set of a constant rank map is a manifold?

To prove that the level set of a constant rank map is a manifold, we need to show that it is locally homeomorphic to Euclidean space. This can be done by using the implicit function theorem and showing that the level set can be locally expressed as the graph of a smooth function.

3. What is the importance of proving that the level set of a constant rank map is a manifold?

Proving that the level set of a constant rank map is a manifold is important because it allows us to use powerful tools from differential geometry to study the map. These tools can help us understand the behavior of the map and make predictions about its behavior in different scenarios.

4. Can the level set of a constant rank map be a different type of manifold?

No, the level set of a constant rank map is always a smooth manifold. This is because the derivative of the map is always of the same rank, which ensures that the map is smooth and the level set is a manifold.

5. How does the rank of the derivative affect the level set of a constant rank map?

The rank of the derivative determines the dimension of the level set. For example, if the derivative has a rank of 2, then the level set will be a 2-dimensional manifold. This is because the derivative tells us how many independent directions the map is changing in at each point, and the level set is a collection of points where the map has a constant value.