Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Time for first access

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
I am a bit concerned about how long it took for MHB to come up for the first time this morning.

Yesterday our main computer failed and is now awaiting repair, so this morning I logged on using one of the laptops rather than the usual machine. When I first accessed MHB the machine gave a very good impression of having locked up while MathJax loaded its' stuff (ctrl-alt-del did not even respond). If I had not known better I would have assumed the machine was locked up and panicked.

It seems to me that this behaviour is likely to deter new users from revisiting MHB.

CB

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I sometimes have similar issues when previewing a long post containing LaTeX, but I figured the problem was an issue with my browser/OS, etc.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I've been noticing some slower load times as well and I think I know what caused it. It's not worth explaining in full, but basically some vB files were found to have an exploit and the way to fix it was to upload new files onto our server or just load these files from Yahoo. I chose the latter option and suspect that this is slowing things down from time to time. I've upgraded the forum to the latest patch level and hope this will go away. When I asked our host about this issue a week or so ago, he said that our server hasn't been overworked this month at all, so again really hoping the above fix did the trick.

Please let me know what you guys notice.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I am a bit concerned about how long it took for MHB to come up for the first time this morning.

Yesterday our main computer failed and is now awaiting repair, so this morning I logged on using one of the laptops rather than the usual machine. When I first accessed MHB the machine gave a very good impression of having locked up while MathJax loaded its' stuff (ctrl-alt-del did not even respond). If I had not known better I would have assumed the machine was locked up and panicked.

It seems to me that this behaviour is likely to deter new users from revisiting MHB.

CB
I kind of misread this post. Thought you were mentioning general slowness, but it seems its Mathjax related. I'll keep my above post though because it was worth letting you know.

Were you using Chrome?

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
I kind of misread this post. Thought you were mentioning general slowness, but it seems its Mathjax related. I'll keep my above post though because it was worth letting you know.

Were you using Chrome?
Yes, Chrome.

Also, it appears to hang the computer, it just sits there even ctrl-alt-del would not bring up task manager!

CB

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I am using Firefox 17.0 and Windows 7.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Yes, Chrome.

Also, it appears to hang the computer, it just sits there even ctrl-alt-del would not bring up task manager!

CB
It's almost certainly related to Chrome. I use Firefox and Latex never causes these issues but before I figured this out I also used Chrome and it would constantly act up by freezing or not render correctly. I can ask the dev guys over there but I'm not sure what they can do. It might have something to do with math fonts and which math fonts come with the browser pre-installed. I'll get back to you.

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
It's almost certainly related to Chrome. I use Firefox and Latex never causes these issues but before I figured this out I also used Chrome and it would constantly act up by freezing or not render correctly. I can ask the dev guys over there but I'm not sure what they can do. It might have something to do with math fonts and which math fonts come with the browser pre-installed. I'll get back to you.
Normally Chrome is fine, the machine I was using this morning had never accessed MHB since the installation of MathJax.

CB

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Normally Chrome is fine, the machine I was using this morning had never accessed MHB since the installation of MathJax.

CB
Have you noticed anything one way or another in regards to loading times? I've spoken to our host about it and some tweaks have been made but there is potentially lots more we could try.

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
Have you noticed anything one way or another in regards to loading times? I've spoken to our host about it and some tweaks have been made but there is potentially lots more we could try.
Not particularly, but then I am not using what was effectively a new computer any more, and I am used to waiting for MathJax to finish loading its stuff on first use after boot.

CB