How Do You Graph Polar Equations on a TI-89?

In summary: Pretty Print doesn't affect graphing.In summary, the person is having trouble graphing polar equations on their TI-89 calculator and is seeking help. They have provided their current mode settings, including setting the angle to degree instead of radian, which may be causing the issue. They are looking for someone to tell them what they are doing wrong.
d.tran103
Hey, I'm having trouble graphing polar equations in my TI-89. I just bought it and still don't understand how it works. For example I have r = 5 + 5 sin(theta). It's suppose to look like a upside apple thing (kind of). But I don't know how to get the graph to show up. I know I'm doing something wrong with my mode. Here is what my mode is set to:

Graph - Polar
Current Folder - Main
Display Digits - Float G
Angle - Degree
Exponential Format - Normal
Complex Format - Rectangular
Vector Format - Rectangular
Pretty Print - Off

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
d.tran103 said:
Hey, I'm having trouble graphing polar equations in my TI-89. I just bought it and still don't understand how it works. For example I have r = 5 + 5 sin(theta). It's suppose to look like a upside apple thing (kind of). But I don't know how to get the graph to show up. I know I'm doing something wrong with my mode. Here is what my mode is set to:

Graph - Polar
Current Folder - Main
Display Digits - Float G
Angle - Degree
Exponential Format - Normal
Complex Format - Rectangular
Vector Format - Rectangular
Pretty Print - Off

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

Ok, off the bat I'd recommend setting the "angle" to "Radian" for polar mode. Got the same settings on mine pretty much otherwise.

1. What is a TI-89 graphing polar equation?

A TI-89 graphing polar equation is an equation that uses polar coordinates to plot points on a graph. It is commonly used in calculus, physics, and engineering to represent curved lines and shapes.

2. How do I enter a polar equation into my TI-89 calculator?

To enter a polar equation into your TI-89 calculator, press the "MODE" button and select "POL" from the options. Then, go to the "Y=" screen and enter your equation using "r" as the variable for radius and "θ" as the variable for angle.

3. Can I graph multiple polar equations on the same graph using a TI-89 calculator?

Yes, you can graph multiple polar equations on the same graph using a TI-89 calculator. Simply enter each equation into the "Y=" screen and make sure they are all in the "POL" mode. The different equations will appear in different colors on the graph.

4. How do I adjust the window settings for a polar graph on my TI-89 calculator?

To adjust the window settings for a polar graph on your TI-89 calculator, go to the "WINDOW" option and enter the values for the minimum and maximum values for r and θ. You can also adjust the scale and origin of the graph.

5. Can I find the intersection points of two polar graphs on a TI-89 calculator?

Yes, you can find the intersection points of two polar graphs on a TI-89 calculator. Use the "INTERSECT" function to find the coordinates of the intersection points. Make sure both equations are in the "POL" mode and that the window settings are appropriate to show the intersection points.