TI89 Not Displaying Polar Correct Coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with the TI89 calculator where it outputs in a different format if the equation is entered in a mix of polar and rectangular input. The expert suggests checking the mode settings and using the appropriate parentheses in the input to ensure correct output. It is also mentioned that the calculator should give polar output regardless of the input type if it has not been damaged or modified.
Stefan7
Hello All,

I'm having a problem with my TI89 where it will output correctly if I input an equation of all one type (polar or rectangular), in whatever format I input the equation in. I'm hoping I just somehow messed up the modes when I reset my calculator!

For example if I input (1∠2), output=(1∠2). Similarly if I input (1∠2)(1∠2), output=(1∠4)
If I input 2+3i, output=3i+2 even though I'm in polar coordinate mode. Also if I input (2+3i)>Polar I get 3i+2 out.
Lastly if I input (1∠2)+1i, I get some ridiculous fraction.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Setting the mode you tell TI - 89 to display results in rectangular or polar form. So, rectangular mode means that the answers will be in ##a + bi## form whether you use polar or rectangular form when entering your expressions. Also, polar mode means that the answers will be in a polar form. You can enter numbers in rectangular or polar form regardless of the setting of display mode.

Now, if you give polar form as input this has to be in the format ##(r < \theta)## where the angle ##\theta## must be in degrees or radians depending on calculator mode.

QuantumQuest said:
Setting the mode you tell TI - 89 to display results in rectangular or polar form. So, rectangular mode means that the answers will be in ##a + bi## form whether you use polar or rectangular form when entering your expressions. Also, polar mode means that the answers will be in a polar form. You can enter numbers in rectangular or polar form regardless of the setting of display mode.

Now, if you give polar form as input this has to be in the format ##(r < \theta)## where the angle ##\theta## must be in degrees or radians depending on calculator mode.

Hi Quantum Quest,

Thank you for your response! I know what you are saying, but this isn't happening (my description may have been too vague). I'm in polar mode the whole time, but my calculator is only outputting in polar mode IF I input the equation entirely in polar mode, otherwise it outputs in another format. Please see linked images https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tp09xo3y2bvbj20/AABDHLfNokbkJTspbk4t843Na?dl=0.

Thanks!

Stefan7 said:
I'm in polar mode the whole time, but my calculator is only outputting in polar mode IF I input the equation entirely in polar mode, otherwise it outputs in another format.

Do you set polar mode and save or convert to polar mode afterwards? In any case be careful to use the appropriate parentheses in the input. If your calculator has not been damaged or modified in some way you should have polar output regardless of the type of input.

Related to TI89 Not Displaying Polar Correct Coordinates

What could be causing my TI89 to not display polar coordinates correctly?

There could be a few reasons for this issue. The first thing to check is that your calculator is set to polar mode. You can do this by pressing the MODE button and scrolling down to the polar coordinates option. Make sure it is selected and then try inputting your coordinates again. If that doesn't work, it could be a problem with the calculator's software. Try resetting the calculator or updating the software. If the issue persists, it may be a hardware issue and you may need to get the calculator repaired or replaced.

Why are my polar coordinates not showing up at all on my TI89?

This could be due to the viewing window of your calculator. If your coordinates are outside of the current viewing window, they will not appear on the screen. Try adjusting the window by pressing the WINDOW button and changing the values for the x and y ranges. If this doesn't solve the issue, it could be a problem with the calculator's hardware or software.

How do I change the format of my polar coordinates on the TI89?

To change the format of your polar coordinates, you can use the FORMAT button. Pressing this button will bring up a menu where you can select different formats for your coordinates, such as degrees or radians. Make sure you are in polar mode before trying to change the format.

What is the difference between polar coordinates and rectangular coordinates?

Polar coordinates use a distance and angle to represent a point on a graph, while rectangular coordinates use x and y coordinates. Polar coordinates are useful for representing circular or curved shapes, while rectangular coordinates are better for representing straight lines. Both systems have their own advantages and can be converted into each other.

Can I graph polar equations on the TI89?

Yes, you can graph polar equations on the TI89. To do this, first make sure you are in polar mode by pressing the MODE button and selecting polar coordinates. Then, enter your polar equation using the Y= button and press GRAPH . You should see the polar curve appear on the graph. You can also use the TRACE button to find specific points on the curve.