Three questions about linear algebra

In summary, the theorem states that every abelian group is a Z-module and every group homomorphism between abelian groups is a Z-module homomorphism. This means that a Z-module homomorphism preserves both the properties of a group and the Z-module structure. The abelian property is used in showing the Z-module properties of an abelian group. Additionally, a ring homomorphism between two rings A and B means that for every element a in A, f(a) is in B. Finally, the theorem states that for a set of A-module homomorphisms from M_i to N, there is a unique A-module homomorphism from the direct sum of M_i to N that satisfies the composition property. Explicit
Artusartos
There is a theorem in our textbook that says:

Every abelian group G is a Z-module. Moreover, the Z-module structure
on G is unique: for n ∈ Z and g ∈ G, ng is the n-th power of g in the group structure of G. (Thus, if n > 0, ng = g + · · · + g, the sum of n copies of g.) Finally, every group homomorphism between abelian groups is a Z-module homomorphism.

My questions:

a) "Finally, every group homomorphism between abelian groups is a Z-module homomorphism."...what's the difference between saying that something is a Z-module homomorphism or just any homomorphism?

b) So, in order to show that any abelian group is a Z-module, we show:

(m + n)a = ma + na
m(a + b) = ma + mb
(mn)a = m(na)
1a = a

For some reason, I can't see where the "abelian" property is being used when showing that an abelian group is a Z-module.

c) Let f : A → B be a ring homomorphism. Then B is a left A-module
via a · b = f(a)b.

So when they say a · b = f(a)b, are they assuming that f(a)b is in B?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Artusartos said:
There is a theorem in our textbook that says:

Every abelian group G is a Z-module. Moreover, the Z-module structure
on G is unique: for n ∈ Z and g ∈ G, ng is the n-th power of g in the group structure of G. (Thus, if n > 0, ng = g + · · · + g, the sum of n copies of g.) Finally, every group homomorphism between abelian groups is a Z-module homomorphism.

My questions:

a) "Finally, every group homomorphism between abelian groups is a Z-module homomorphism."...what's the difference between saying that something is a Z-module homomorphism or just any homomorphism?
A "group homorphism" preserves the properties of the group: f(a+ b)= f(a)+ f(b) and f(-a)= -f(a). Saying that it is also a "Z-module homomorphism" means it also preserves the Z-module property: the properties shown in (b), below.

b) So, in order to show that any abelian group is a Z-module, we show:

(m + n)a = ma + na
m(a + b) = ma + mb
(mn)a = m(na)
1a = a

For some reason, I can't see where the "abelian" property is being used when showing that an abelian group is a Z-module.
Look at m(a+ b)= ma+ mb. With m= 2, say, that says (a+ b)+ (a+ b)= (a+ a)+ (b+ b). That requires commutativity.

c) Let f : A → B be a ring homomorphism. Then B is a left A-module
via a · b = f(a)b.

So when they say a · b = f(a)b, are they assuming that f(a)b is in B?
I wouldn't use the word "assume". We are told that "f: A→B". That means that, for every a in A, f(a) is in B.

Thanks in advance

HallsofIvy said:
A "group homorphism" preserves the properties of the group: f(a+ b)= f(a)+ f(b) and f(-a)= -f(a). Saying that it is also a "Z-module homomorphism" means it also preserves the Z-module property: the properties shown in (b), below.

Look at m(a+ b)= ma+ mb. With m= 2, say, that says (a+ b)+ (a+ b)= (a+ a)+ (b+ b). That requires commutativity.

I wouldn't use the word "assume". We are told that "f: A→B". That means that, for every a in A, f(a) is in B.

Thanks a lot...

I have one more question if you don't mind...

Let [tex]f_i : M_i → N[/tex] be A-module homomorphisms for 1 ≤ i ≤ k. Then
there is a unique A-module homomorphism [tex]f : M_1 ⊕· · ·⊕M_k → N[/tex] such that [tex]f ◦ \eta_i = f_i[/tex] for 1 ≤ i ≤ n. Explicitly,
[tex] f(m_1, . . . ,m_k) = f_1(m_1) + · · · + f_k(m_k)[/tex]

Where [tex] \eta_i : M_i → M_1 ⊕· · ·⊕M_k[/tex]

I understand what the theorem says...but then it says that (the theorem) explicitely means:
[tex] f(m_1, . . . ,m_k) = f_1(m_1) + · · · + f_k(m_k)[/tex]

I have trouble connecting this to what it said in the theorem. In other words, the theorem says [tex]f ◦ \eta_i = f_i[/tex]. So where exactly is the composite in [tex] f(m_1, . . . ,m_k) = f_1(m_1) + · · · + f_k(m_k)[/tex]?

In other words, how is the theorem "explicitely" being shown in

[tex] f(m_1, . . . ,m_k) = f_1(m_1) + · · · + f_k(m_k)[/tex] ?

Related to Three questions about linear algebra

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the manipulation and analysis of linear systems of equations, matrices, and vectors.

2. Why is linear algebra important?

Linear algebra is important because it provides a powerful framework for solving a wide range of mathematical problems and real-world applications. It is used in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, computer science, and statistics.

3. What are the basic concepts of linear algebra?

The basic concepts of linear algebra include vectors, matrices, linear transformations, and systems of linear equations. Other important concepts include vector spaces, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and determinants.

4. How is linear algebra used in data analysis?

Linear algebra is widely used in data analysis and machine learning. It is used to represent and manipulate datasets, perform dimensionality reduction, and build mathematical models for prediction and classification tasks.

5. Is linear algebra difficult to learn?

Like any subject, the difficulty of learning linear algebra depends on the individual's background and level of understanding. With patience and practice, anyone can learn the basic concepts and techniques of linear algebra. However, more advanced topics may require more time and effort to fully understand.