Three-phase symmetrical components SPICE attempt

In summary, the traditional way of calculating symmetrical components in LTspice doesn't restore the input signals completely, but the last method does.
blighme
Hello

I am trying to model in LTspice a matrix for symmetrical components. Keeping to the theory, the 120° delays were built with tlines, which means that whatever signal there is at the input, after the delay it becomes x(t-2*π/3), meaning multiplying with a2(=e-j*2*π/3). (to avoid such a long delay for the 240° one, the signal is reversed and then delayed by -60°)

But, after the inverse transformation, the original signals are not restored unless they are sinusoidal (offphase, offset, it doesn't matter). As soon as harmonics come out, the results are off. After further testing, it seems that the 3rd, 9th, 15th, etc harmonics don't seem to be "processed", they show up (if they are present at the input) at the output.

Example:
va(t)=sin(ωt)+sin(3ωt)/3+sin(5ωt)/5+sin(7ωt)/7+sin(9ωt)/9
after the inverse transform:
v+(t)=sin(ωt)+sin(3ωt)/3+sin(9ωt)/9

I tried a different approach, with all-pass phase shift, but that is only applicable to sine waves (e.g. square wave looks like a too large time-constant differentiation/integration for a ±π/2 delay). Similarly, I tried delay by sin/cos multiplication, so that the 120° phase-shift would be done like this:

va'(t)=-1/2*va(t)-√3/2*va(t-π/2)

where -π/2 comes after a tline delay, but then the square wave from the same example would look like a distorted staircase (true, the π/2 delay applies only to the quadrature fundamental, there would be needed many blocks like these for all the harmonics). However, and this is what puzzles me most: after the inversion with this method, the input signals are back to normal(!), no matter how distorted/unbalanced they are. So here are my two (four) questions:
- Why doesn't the "classic" way of calculating the symmetrical components completely restore the input signals? Implicit, are the positive/negative/zero components calculated like this good or bad?
- Why does the last method work and, implicit, does that mean the pos/neg/zero components calculated like this are good (or bad)?Thank you in advance,
Vlad

[edit]This isn't homework/coursework/etc, it's in the right place, I am trying to build a custom block in LTspice[/edit]

Attachments

• abc_to_012.png
    abc_to_012.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 529
Engineering news on Phys.org
Is there anyone who can help or knows about symmetrical components?

Related to Three-phase symmetrical components SPICE attempt

1. What is a three-phase symmetrical component SPICE attempt?

A three-phase symmetrical component SPICE attempt is a method used in electrical engineering to analyze and simulate three-phase power systems using SPICE (Simulation Program with Integrated Circuit Emphasis) software. It involves breaking down a three-phase system into three single-phase systems and representing them as symmetrical components (positive, negative, and zero sequence) to simplify the analysis.

2. Why is a three-phase symmetrical component SPICE attempt used?

A three-phase symmetrical component SPICE attempt is used because it allows for a more accurate and efficient analysis of three-phase power systems. By representing the system as symmetrical components, the analysis can be simplified and the effects of unbalanced loads or faults can be easily observed.

3. What are the advantages of using SPICE for three-phase symmetrical component analysis?

Using SPICE for three-phase symmetrical component analysis allows for a more detailed and accurate simulation of power systems. SPICE has advanced modeling capabilities and can simulate complex circuits with non-linear and time-varying elements. It also allows for easy visualization of the results, making it a valuable tool for engineers.

4. Can a three-phase symmetrical component SPICE attempt be used for both balanced and unbalanced systems?

Yes, a three-phase symmetrical component SPICE attempt can be used for both balanced and unbalanced systems. In a balanced system, the three-phase voltages and currents are equal in magnitude and 120 degrees out of phase with each other. In an unbalanced system, the three-phase voltages and currents are not equal, and there may be phase shifts due to unbalanced loads or faults.

5. How do I perform a three-phase symmetrical component SPICE attempt?

To perform a three-phase symmetrical component SPICE attempt, you will need to first represent the three-phase system as three single-phase systems using symmetrical components. Then, you can use SPICE software to model the circuit and run simulations to analyze the system's behavior. There are also online resources and tutorials available to help guide you through the process.