Thread Locked: Understand Conditions & Mentors' Decisions

• Thread starter Snow-Leopard
  • Start date
Sometimes threads are also locked if the topic has already been discussed extensively before. Mentors are responsible for monitoring threads and deciding if they need to be locked based on these factors. In summary, threads on PF can be locked for various reasons including guidelines violations, arguments, off-topic discussions, and previous extensive discussions on the same topic. Mentors are responsible for monitoring and making the decision to lock a thread.
Snow-Leopard
What are the conditions here on PF for getting a Thread Locked. In Homework and Coursework Forum if the OP get correct answer and may be Mentors approved them then they are Locked but what about in other Forums.I go through many threads many are locked some have few replies and some have a lot. So give details how the Mentors decide that the thread is to be Locked.

Physics news on Phys.org
Snow-Leopard said:
What are the conditions here on PF for getting a Thread Locked. In Homework and Coursework Forum if the OP get correct answer and may be Mentors approved them then they are Locked but what about in other Forums.I go through many threads many are locked some have few replies and some have a lot. So give details how the Mentors decide that the thread is to be Locked.
Old thread get an automatic lock on time, which I think is two years. That is done to prevent resurrection of old thread, because often the OP may not be around.

Otherwise, threads are locked because of guidelines violations or the discussion becomes an argument/conflict or drifts way off topic.

Related to Thread Locked: Understand Conditions & Mentors' Decisions

1. What does it mean when a thread is locked?

A locked thread means that no further comments or replies can be added to the thread. This is usually done by a moderator or administrator in order to prevent any further discussion on a particular topic.

2. Why do moderators lock threads?

Moderators may lock a thread for a variety of reasons, such as to prevent the discussion from becoming too heated or off-topic, to stop spam or trolling, or to maintain the overall organization and flow of the forum.

3. Can a locked thread be unlocked?

In most cases, a locked thread can be unlocked by a moderator or administrator if necessary. However, this decision is ultimately up to the discretion of the forum's rules and guidelines.

4. How can I request for a locked thread to be unlocked?

If you believe that a locked thread should be unlocked, you can reach out to a moderator or administrator and explain your reasoning. They will then review the situation and make a decision based on the forum's guidelines.

5. Can I still view a locked thread?

Yes, you can still view a locked thread and read through the existing comments and replies. However, you will not be able to add any new comments or replies to the thread.