Should old threads be automatically locked to prevent confusion?

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter Aufbauwerk 2045
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the issue of replying to older threads and the possibility of automatically locking them after a certain period of time. The suggestion was made to contact the staff for permission to reply to an old thread, and it was clarified that threads with no replies are considered open for discussion regardless of their age. There was also a humorous exchange about language and a thread being closed.
Aufbauwerk 2045
My suggestion is that it could be useful to clarify the policy on replying to older threads. I know this has been discussed in the past, but I have not found any recent discussions. As a newer member I find this issue a bit confusing.

My impression was that if a thread is not locked, it is fair game for a reply. Some threads may be a bit older, but still useful.

Would it be technically possible and/or advisable to automatically lock an older thread to which there has been no reply within a given time period? Then we could assume that any unlocked thread is fair game.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any unlocked thread is fair game. I'll be doing a mass lock shortly to get up to date.

Updated the locks. All are fair game.

Just out of curiosity Greg, how old did a thread have to be before you locked it?

phinds said:
Just out of curiosity Greg, how old did a thread have to be before you locked it?
1 year old

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045 and phinds
Greg Bernhardt said:
Updated the locks..
Hey, my key to the Mentor lounge doesn't work anymore! :eek:

Likes Evo and Greg Bernhardt
berkeman said:
Hey, my key to the Mentor lounge doesn't work anymore! :eek:

Odd, my key to the Mentor hot tub doesn't work either...

Likes Comeback City and Evo
I've got the new keys, it'll cost you. :-p

Likes Drakkith
Evo said:
I've got the new keys, it'll cost you. :-p
Pick me! Pick me! :smile:
molded_kitten.jpg

berkeman said:
Pick me! Pick me! :smile:
molded_kitten.jpg
OOOh, you found a chocolate kitteh! You may have all of the keys! :oldlove:

Thank you Evo. You're the best.

I always wondered what the strange noise was coming from the locked Mentor Janitor Closet, now I can check it out.

Holy Colossus Batman! :woot:

Greg Bernhardt said:
1 year old
Threads that started a year ago or threads in which conversation ended a year ago?

Comeback City said:
Threads that started a year ago or threads in which conversation ended a year ago?
Last post was over 1 year ago.

Most threads last a month at the most. Very long threads can go longer with relevance. Normal threads that get necroposted are problematical, depending on the subject and how OP-centric the thread is. Does that make sense?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
berkeman said:
Last post was over 1 year ago.

Most threads last a month at the most. Very long threads can go longer with relevance. Normal threads that get necroposted are problematical, depending on the subject and how OP-centric the thread is. Does that make sense?
Indeed it does :smile:

Likes berkeman
I've seen people post in old threads knowing full well what they're doing, and even acknowledging it: "I know this is an old thread, but here's some new information..." And that post may very well be a valid contribution to the thread, viewed by itself.

The problem is that when the thread gets bumped back up to the top of the list, a lot of people read it from the beginning without realizing that it's actually (say) five years old, and some of them post responses directly to those old posts, without realizing that the people who made them may not be here any more, or have long since "moved on" in other ways. I've seen people suggesting universities to someone who was a high school junior or senior years ago and was probably about to finish university (or already finished) when the thread was revived.

Likes phinds
jtbell said:
I've seen people post in old threads knowing full well what they're doing, and even acknowledging it: "I know this is an old thread, but here's some new information..." And that post may very well be a valid contribution to the thread, viewed by itself.
Some other thematic forums has a custom that in case somebody has a worthy follow-up for an old/ locked thread he can contact the staff for permission to post it.
Then the thread immediately got locked again.

I think we've done that here, too, although we don't state it explicitly as a policy in our rules.

Indeed. If anyone has something that think would make a good post, they can always contact a mentor and ask about adding in their post, no matter how old the thread is.

Greg Bernhardt said:
fyi, no reply threads are open no matter the age

What are "no-reply-threads"?

Drakkith said:
What are "no-reply-threads"?
Darn, and here I thought English was your native language. Well, I guess that's too much to expect of someone who grew up speaking Texan. :smile:

Likes Comeback City
Greg Bernhardt said:
Threads with no replies

Well, that certainly makes sense.
Isn't it amazing how much of a difference rearranging a few words can make sometimes? :rolleyes:

phinds said:
Darn, and here I thought English was your native language. Well, I guess that's too much to expect of someone who grew up speaking Texan. :smile:

Sir, I'll have you know that we have the utmost highest standards when it comes to linguistics.

Drakkith said:
Sir, I'll have you know that we have the utmost highest standards when it comes to linguistics.
Well, yeah, you would SAY that. I take it as a Texas Tall Tail.

Likes Drakkith
phinds said:
Well, yeah, you would SAY that. I take it as a Texas Tall Tail.

*Tale.

And you're making fun of my language... :biggrin:

Likes mfb
Drakkith said:
*Tale.

And you're making fun of my language... :biggrin:
No, I was making fun of your tail.

Likes mfb and Drakkith
Phew that's a relief. I thought for a moment that no reply threads are open.

This thread has replies. I closed it.

/s

Drakkith said:
Is that up there with the bestest standards, or is it even gooder ?

Likes Drakkith, Comeback City and phinds

Related to Should old threads be automatically locked to prevent confusion?

1. Why should old threads be automatically locked?

Old threads should be automatically locked to prevent confusion among users and to keep the discussion focused on current topics. When old threads are left open, users may continue to add comments and questions that are no longer relevant or accurate, leading to confusion and clutter.

2. How does automatically locking old threads benefit users?

Automatically locking old threads benefits users by ensuring that the information and discussions on the forum are up-to-date and relevant. It also helps users easily find and participate in current discussions without being sidetracked by outdated threads.

3. Will automatically locking old threads limit the ability to revive old discussions?

No, automatically locking old threads does not prevent users from reviving old discussions. Users can still create new threads to continue discussions on older topics. This allows for a more organized and focused conversation, rather than having scattered comments on an old thread.

4. Are there any drawbacks to automatically locking old threads?

One potential drawback of automatically locking old threads is that users may not be able to find answers to their questions if the discussion has been closed. However, this can be mitigated by providing clear and up-to-date information in the forum's rules and guidelines on how to properly revive old discussions if needed.

5. Are there any exceptions to automatically locking old threads?

Yes, there may be exceptions to automatically locking old threads, such as in cases where the discussion is ongoing and relevant, or if the thread contains valuable information that users may still need access to. In these cases, moderators can use their discretion to keep the thread open or to pin it to the top of the forum for easy access.