Thorough introductory calculus and physics books

In summary, calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with continuous change, while physics is the study of matter and energy. A strong math background can be helpful but not necessary to understand introductory books on these subjects. Some knowledge of algebra, geometry, and trigonometry is recommended. Resources for finding introductory books include libraries, online bookstores, and recommendations from teachers. To make the most of reading these books, it is important to fully understand each concept, work through practice problems, and reinforce understanding through discussion and additional resources.
Kenny Bala
Anybody have some thorough books on first year physics and calculus courses? My courses use mostly books written by the profs at my university, and I don't feel like they have the breadth and depth that other books might have. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Halliday Resnick Walker is the standard for Freshman physics, and I used Swokowski for calculus which I found good, but I have also heard good things about Stewart

Related to Thorough introductory calculus and physics books

1. What is the difference between calculus and physics?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of continuous change, while physics is the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. Calculus is often used in physics to model and solve problems involving motion, forces, and other physical phenomena.

2. Do I need to have a strong math background to understand introductory calculus and physics books?

While a strong math background can certainly be helpful, it is not always necessary to understand introductory calculus and physics books. These books are designed to introduce the basic concepts and principles of calculus and physics, and often include explanations and examples to help readers understand the material.

3. Are there any prerequisites for reading introductory calculus and physics books?

Some knowledge of algebra and geometry is typically recommended before diving into calculus and physics. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of trigonometry, as it is commonly used in calculus and physics applications.

4. What are some good resources for finding thorough introductory calculus and physics books?

There are many resources available for finding introductory calculus and physics books. Some options include checking with your local library, browsing online bookstores, or asking for recommendations from teachers or professors.

5. How can I make the most of reading an introductory calculus and physics book?

To make the most of reading an introductory calculus and physics book, it is important to take the time to fully understand each concept and work through practice problems. It can also be helpful to review and reinforce your understanding by discussing concepts with others or seeking additional resources such as online tutorials or videos.