This movie's been on TV about 20 times the past week. So, essay

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Essay
In summary: You get the picture.In summary, the movie's been on TV about 20 times the past week. It's been popular among viewers. A question has been asked: which sin do you choose to give up, and why? The seven deadly sins are: sloth, wrath, greed, gluttony, pride, lust, envy, and greed. One of them, gluttony, is chosen because it is easier to avoid than the other six. Murder is chosen as the sin to give up because it is counterintuitive and self-defeating.
zoobyshoe
This movie's been on TV about 20 times the past week.

So, essay quetion:

Stipulating that you commit all seven of the deadly sins, you are forced to resolve to stop committing one of them. You can choose which one. Which do you choose, and why?

Physics news on Phys.org

Well if I'm forced to continue to do six of them, I might as well do them to the best of my ability. So, I'd give up sloth.

Gluttony. I'm trying to lose five or ten pounds.

lisab said:
Well if I'm forced to continue to do six of them...
Clarifying: you are not forced to continue to do any of them. You can give up all seven in one pop if you want. You are only forced to give up one, at least, of them.

gluttony. I've never been one of those who could eat massive amounts of food. and if i try, it tends to cause me pain. so i guess because i think it might be the easier one to avoid.

I had to look up what the seven deadly sins were. They aren't sins at all, just character traits. I'm going for something meatier. I'd give up murder.

What are the seven deadly sins?
wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy, and gluttony.
ok these from wiki... hmm I have never experienced envy but I am full of pride and wrath -_- I guess I would give up sloth...I wish I could enjoy being lazy but I never get the chance.

Last edited:

I don't even like the taste of sloth.

Jimmy Snyder said:
I had to look up what the seven deadly sins were. They aren't sins at all, just character traits.

Yeah, I guess I should have listed them. The Seven Deadly Sins are:

Zoobyism
Seekingism
Evoism
Dangerism
Snyderism
Zapperism
DaveCP30ism

More or less. There's a lot of flux and shifting.

I'm going for something meatier. I'd give up murder.
Now you screwed up my hypothesis that people would choose the ones they don't consider that much fun anyway.

HeLiXe said:
What are the seven deadly sins?
Sloth, wrath, lust, gluttony, pride, envy, greed.

Ivan Seeking said:
I don't even like the taste of sloth.
Exactly! It's a no-brainer.

zoobyshoe said:
Zoobyism
Seekingism
Evoism
Dangerism
Snyderism
Zapperism
DaveCP30ism

:smile:

zoobyshoe said:
Sloth, wrath, lust, gluttony, pride, envy, greed.
Yes I was looking it up on wiki and edited my post probably as you were typing this

I gave up wrath when I resigned from the staff.

There's two. Lust? No way! Envy isn't an issue. Greed? I prefer to call it financial planning. Gluttony? Been on a diet for months now, but I reserve the right to gluttony two nights a week.

Pride? PLEASE! Try to run a business without taking pride in your work. Of the seven, I find this concept to be the most counterintuititive and self-defeating. Like mama always said, might as well toot your own horn cause no one is going to toot it for you. I would change that one to arrogance. I'll send an email to the Pope about that one.

Last edited:

HeLiXe said:
Yes I was looking it up on wiki and edited my post probably as you were typing this

You made me look like an idiot, wounding my PRIDE, and now I feel WRATH toward you. Whoops!

zoobyshoe said:
Now you screwed up my hypothesis that people would choose the ones they don't consider that much fun anyway.

maybe he's either an outlier, or an out-and-out liar.

Ivan Seeking said:
Pride? PLEASE! Try to run a business without taking pride in your work. Of the seven, I find this concept to be the most counterintuititive and self-defeating. Like mama always said, might as well toot your own horn cause no one is going to toot it for you. I would change that one to arrogance. I'll send an email to the Pope about that one.
The operative distinction is probably not between Pride and Arrogance, but between Pride and Confidence. Some Catholics used to take the injunction against pride to mean you should walk around hanging your head in shame, and should never assert yourself: "Blessed are the meek...". Pride as a deadly sin, though, would be evident in a situation where someone said something to the effect: "You can't talk to ME that way! Don't you know who I AM?" That sort of thing. I guess the concept would be narcissicm, in modern terms.

Proton Soup said:
maybe he's either an outlier, or an out-and-out liar.

Cold blooded killer. But he's going to try to cut back.

zoobyshoe said:
The operative distinction is probably not between Pride and Arrogance, but between Pride and Confidence. Some Catholics used to take the injunction against pride to mean you should walk around hanging your head in shame, and should never assert yourself: "Blessed are the meek...". Pride as a deadly sin, though, would be evident in a situation where someone said something to the effect: "You can't talk to ME that way! Don't you know who I AM?" That sort of thing. I guess the concept would be narcissicm, in modern terms.

I agree. I always figured it meant 'vainglory'.

I think the seven deadly sins were conceived to help keep medieval European peasants complacent, what do you think?

pergradus said:
I think the seven deadly sins were conceived to help keep medieval European peasants complacent, what do you think?

You mean, like an opiate for the masses?

:devil:

lisab said:
I agree. I always figured it meant 'vainglory'.

VAINGLORY (from Merriam-Websters)

"1: excessive or ostentatious pride especially in one's achievements
2: vain display or show : vanity"

Could well be, yes. According to a show I saw on The History Channel "sloth" was originally defined as what we would today recognize as psychiatric depression. A scary concept, but the point is the words don't necessarily mean today what they originally did.

zoobyshoe said:
You made me look like an idiot, wounding my PRIDE, and now I feel WRATH toward you. Whoops!
SINNER! :-p
Ivan Seeking said:
I gave up wrath when I resigned from the staff.

There's two. Lust? No way! Envy isn't an issue. Greed? I prefer to call it financial planning. Gluttony? Been on a diet for months now, but I reserve the right to gluttony two nights a week.

yeah too many points I agree with here to single them out.

zoobyshoe said:
VAINGLORY (from Merriam-Websters)

"1: excessive or ostentatious pride especially in one's achievements
2: vain display or show : vanity"

Could well be, yes. According to a show I saw on The History Channel "sloth" was originally defined as what we would today recognize as psychiatric depression. A scary concept, but the point is the words don't necessarily mean today what they originally did.

Ohhhh I guess I can't give up sloth then...and if I even attempt vainglory it always blows up in my face! I am quickly humbled -_-

HeLiXe said:
...if I even attempt vainglory it always blows up in my face! I am quickly humbled -_-

"Pride goeth before a fall." I'm not sure who said that but it was a long time ago, cause he said "goeth".

zoobyshoe said:
Yeah, I guess I should have listed them. The Seven Deadly Sins are:

Zoobyism
Seekingism
Evoism
Dangerism
Snyderism
Zapperism
DaveCP30ism
I'm giving up on Snyderism.

I ought to give up sloth, but I guess I'll give up pride instead.

arildno said:
I ought to give up sloth, but I guess I'll give up pride instead.
Because?

zoobyshoe said:
Because?
It is such a bother to give up sloth, I suppose.

There is no such thing as "sin", so the question is irrelevant. "Sin" is a concept perpetrated by organized religions in order to control the penance (not behaviour) of the flock. As long as they continue to do it, more power to them... as long as they pay for it in the collection plate.

zoobyshoe said:
"Pride goeth before a fall." I'm not sure who said that but it was a long time ago, cause he said "goeth".

:smile::smile::smile:

Danger said:
There is no such thing as "sin", so the question is irrelevant. "Sin" is a concept perpetrated by organized religions in order to control the penance (not behaviour) of the flock. As long as they continue to do it, more power to them... as long as they pay for it in the collection plate.

...so in other words we should all sin together and keep our money :biggrin: :biggrin: ;)

on an aside, I once learned that the word "sin" is an old anglo saxon word used in archery when the arrow did not hit target. I have to look that up to see if it is true.

zoobyshoe said:
Sayeth thou.

Jimmy Snyder said:
I had to look up what the seven deadly sins were. They aren't sins at all, just character traits. I'm going for something meatier. I'd give up murder.

This is true. The seven deadly sins aren't sins in themselves. They're considered to be the seven root causes of sin in general. If you substitute the corresponding virtue ( humility, charity, kindness, patience, chastity, temperance, and diligence) into your personality for the personality trait that causes you to do evil things, you become a better person.

So, there becomes two things to conisder. Zooby's question requires a person not only to be willing to give up one those personality traits, but they also have to consider that they'll have to take on one of the virtues in its place (since nature abhors a vacuum).

Worry not. There's a different list of seven deadly sins that includes your favorite. Solomon's list of deadly sins:

A proud look.
A lying tongue.
Hands that shed innocent blood.
A heart that devises wicked plots.
Feet that are swift to run into mischief.
A deceitful witness that uttereth lies.
Him that soweth discord among brethren.

Among the original sins/virtues, I think I'll go the other way. I want to give up chastity and take on lust in its place. I'll never give up psychiatric depression - especially if I have to replace it with diligence!

BobG said:
Feet that are swift to run into mischief.
Like these feet?
http://www.jokeroo.com/videos/funny/foot-race-fail.html"

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimmy Snyder said:
Like these feet?
http://www.jokeroo.com/videos/funny/foot-race-fail.html"

More like these feet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V9kJw-kWQ8

Notice how the diligence of the German sausage is rewarded with victory. And how the incident obviously incited such a high level of psychiatric depression that two women had to be treated at the first aid station.

I could watch this video over and over. I just love sausages! Especially Italian sausage!

And especially Italian sausage that's been assaulted by a pirate wearing a mustard uniform!

Last edited by a moderator:

Wraith would be easiest

zoobyshoe said:
I guess the concept would be narcissicm, in modern terms.

Erotic pleasure derived from contemplation or admiration of one's own body or self?

Actually, that would be pretty convenient.