This forum is great for the learner. What's in it for the mentors?

In summary: PF are devoted to the truth. It often comes with new ways to see some topic, new approaches to solve problems and so on, overall it helps understanding the material better. It also helps as a teacher to identify and correct misconceptions. And let's not forget the cupcakes!
256bits said:
A "google satellite" image - (not as well known as Area 54 ) - of the mentor facilities in an undisclosed region.
I fear I had to remove certain classified information:

groundsmap.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes berkeman, 256bits, Keith_McClary and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
mfb said:
I fear I had to remove certain classified information:

View attachment 267936
What the heck is a “lightning entrance?” And why isn’t that classified?!?

Likes etotheipi
After some reconsideration, here is a slightly more conservative map:

groundsmap.png
Here is that entrance on Google Maps. I think the "lightning entrance" is at the lower floor, but I don't know what that means.

• Haha
Likes 256bits and TeethWhitener
Hmm... The mouth is OK I guess, the ears are rather lopsided, but the eyes and nose have gone searching for a better gig!

TeethWhitener said:
What the heck is a “lightning entrance?” And why isn’t that classified?!?
What ... you don't want to let the lightning in? That's what the mods use to recharge their batteries when they've had to deal w/ too many crackpot posts.

Likes etotheipi, fresh_42, 256bits and 1 other person
phinds said:
What ... you don't want to let the lightning in? That's what the mods use to recharge their batteries when they've had to deal w/ too many crackpot posts.
Yes, it is the code word for enlightening trance.

• Haha
Likes Astronuc, mfb and phinds
Teaching is a great way of testing your own understanding. Plus it is gratifying to having truly taught something to other people.

I didn't become a teacher for the paycheck, I became a teacher to assist student learning. Contributing to PF is just another way I can do that. Sometimes I am providing help and advice that would have helped me as a student or early in my career. Sometimes I am providing help and advice I wish was more readily available to my own students and others.

Likes Klystron, Astronuc, bhobba and 2 others
As for me, it is indeed pleasing. I may not be the smartest person ever, but I am always happy to share that knowledge I have. No matter here or somewhere else!

melissaa said:
I may not be the smartest person ever
Only one person at a time can be. It's not me either. So the odds that it's @phinds are going up.

• Haha
Likes sbrothy, russ_watters, Ibix and 1 other person
jbriggs444 said:
Only one person at a time can be. It's not me either. So the odds that it's @phinds are going up.
I thought we decide it on regular meetings who currently is.

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes DennisN and Tom.G
@fresh_42 gave the best answer to this question in another thread:
fresh_42 said:
Since then I know that being forced to explain something to others (while constantly asking your self why this is true what you are just talking about) is a really good way to learn something.

Likes Janus, BillTre, etotheipi and 1 other person
melissaa said:
I may not be the smartest person ever

That is unimportant. What is important is we communicate the essence of what science is. School rarely does that, but here you will find people that do.

Thanks
Bill

Likes fresh_42
ZapperZ said:
You're just sore because Greg stopped giving you one after you licked the frosting off the whole box of cupcakes.

Zz.
Who puts frosting on a box?

Likes phinds
BrassOctopus said:
Oh, you'd be surprised at the mentality of some of our mentors :oldlaugh:

Likes bhobba, fresh_42 and BrassOctopus
BrassOctopus said:
In my experience that happens on the drive home from the bakery. Something about the 2nd law of thermodynamics. Or maybe my driving skills. IDK.

• Haha
Likes DrClaude, Keith_McClary, berkeman and 1 other person
DaveE said:
In my experience that happens on the drive home from the bakery. Something about the 2nd law of thermodynamics. Or maybe my driving skills. IDK.
No, it has to be a physical law. Similar to the Nutella theorem: There is no way to make a Nutella sandwich without getting it on the fingers.

Likes DaveE
fresh_42 said:
No, it has to be a physical law. Similar to the Nutella theorem: There is no way to make a Nutella sandwich without getting it on the fingers.

Something something magnetics, something something over-unity...

Nutella is a non-conservative force. It doesn't conserve clean surfaces.

Likes jack action and bhobba
mfb said:
Nutella is a non-conservative force. It doesn't conserve clean surfaces.
On the other hand, strawberry conserve is conservative.

Likes 256bits, etotheipi and strangerep
DrGreg said:
strawberry conserve
I prefer the raspberry, blackberry, red and black currant, peach and apricot conserves.

What's in it for the mentors?
We do it for the satisfaction and camaraderie.

We also promote the scientific and evidentiary processes, objective and critical thinking, and good grammar.

Likes jbriggs444, BillTre and Tom.G
Astronuc said:
We do it for the satisfaction and camaraderie.

We also promote the scientific and evidentiary processes, objective and critical thinking, and good grammar.
A good grammar is one who makes peach conserves.

• Sad
Likes hutchphd, Bystander and DrClaude
jbriggs444 said:
A good grammar is one who makes peach conserves.
Me didn't never knows my grammar.

Janus said:
Me didn't never knows my grammar.
YOU'RE BUSTED !
grammar-police-badge.png

• Haha
Likes hutchphd, PeroK, Bystander and 2 others
Along with helping countless students out and keeping people coming here so our like minds have a great place to congregate, I would think it allows the mentors an opportunity to, "Sharpen their various axes," so-to-speak.

P.S. Someone, henceforth, has to make a new Cupcake award. :-p

Last edited:
Chandller said:
Along with helping countless students out and keeping people coming here so our like minds have a great place to congregate, I would think it allows the mentors an opportunity to, "Sharpen their various axes," so-to-speak.
If you are implying (or saying directly) that you think the mentors have professional or scientific axes to grind, you are mistaken and seriously misunderstand the site. People are here to learn, not to attempt to force their point of view on others.

Likes symbolipoint
phinds said:
If you are implying (or saying directly) that you think the mentors have professional or scientific axes to grind, you are mistaken and seriously misunderstand the site. People are here to learn, not to attempt to force their point of view on others.

phinds, a little jumpy there, my friend? That is neither what I am saying, nor implying, directly or otherwise. Maybe, "Polish their various tools," would have been better. My analogy of, "Sharpen their various axes," was to express that it gives the mentors an opportunity to address and help students/learners with different areas of Mathematics, Physics, etc. and by doing so it makes them have to look back over topics they may have not covered over in a while, there by, keeping the various branches of their given subject , their "axes," sharp in their minds.

Maybe, "Polish their various tools," would have been better. However, I prefer, axes. As the famous Paul Halmos said, when speaking on how to address Mathematics, "Don't just read it; Fight it!"

If I'm going into a fight, I'll go with the axe. :wink:

Last edited:
Likes symbolipoint
Chandller said:
phinds, a little jumpy there, my friend? That is neither what I am saying, nor implying, directly or otherwise. Maybe, "Polish their various tools," would have been better. My analogy of, "Sharpen their various axes," was to express that it gives the mentors an opportunity to address and help students/learners with different areas of Mathematics, Physics, etc. and by doing so it makes them have to look back over topics they may have not covered over in a while, there by, keeping the various branches of their given subject (their "axes,) Sharp in their minds.

Further, why would I say that the Mentor's are, "Helping countless students out," in one breath and then suggesting and/or accusing them of having, "professional or scientific axes to grind," in another?

docnet said:
I was wondering why "learned" people who have degrees in physics, mathematics, and other fields of science take the time to answer stranger's questions on the internet?

Confining questions you consider to questions that you yourself ask is, for most people, a significant limitation on the scope of thought.

Likes hutchphd
Chandller said:
That is neither what I am saying, nor implying, directly or otherwise. Maybe, "Polish their various tools," would have been better.
Sounds like the whole thing hinges on usage / interpretation. I seem to have incorrectly interpreted "sharpening axes" as "axes to grind" which is not what you meant. Sorry.

Likes Chandller
Chandller said:

Congregate? Not so sure. Just a way to think on and promote some academic knowledge and exercise writing and thinking skills. Unfortunately, no laboratory connected with the forum.

Cupcake? Now someone will supply his own laboraotry (a kitchen can be a laboratory, right?).

Chandller said:

Notice very well, said was "sharpen their various axes." We should not change that to "axes to grind" which although literally is the same thing more or less, it carries connotation of complaining or expressing frustration or irritation.

symbolipoint said:
Notice very well, said was "sharpen their various axes." We should not change that to "axes to grind" which although literally is the same thing more or less, it carries connotation of complaining or expressing frustration or irritation.
Not in my experience. The phrase "axes to grind" means having an agenda to promote (and promoting it). I have never heard it used with the connotations you attribute to it.

Also, see post #66

phinds said:
Not in my experience. The phrase "axes to grind" means having an agenda to promote (and promoting it). I have never heard it used with the connotations you attribute to it.

Also, see post #66
I have heard it used on rare occasions but never myself learned to use it. I did not fully enough understand it. For sure it ain't in my idiolect.

This article almost helps: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Miner