Thinking of transferring (Mech. Eng.)

In summary, the Canadian university the student is attending does not provide enough hands-on experience, and the student is worried about how this will affect his or her future as an engineer.
ZenOne
I am currently a mechanical engineering student at a Canadian university and what I have experienced thus far is leaving a sour taste in my mouth. A year and a half in and the only lab I have is mechanical drawing, however, we don't even get to enjoy taking apart the objects we are drawing--we just run through it because of time constraints. There are no labs or projects in most classes (including thermo, statics, dynamics, fluids etc) and it is VERY theoretical--memorizing formulas and calculating integrals seems to be the only thing we should be concerned about.

When I was considering the school they prided themselves on a "hands-on/real world" experience, however, I'm ALMOST halfway through and my hands have not been dirty yet.

I know how to do derivatives, integrals, DE's etc (A or A+ in all applied math classes) but this is just absurd now.

The reason I am mentioning the above is that there is a school in Montreal known for a more "hands-on" approach. They do all the same classes but 90% of classes have labs (statics, dynamics, fluids, materials science, thermo etc) and many classes involve having to solve (by design and in many cases building a physical object) problems. The only catch is it is a French school. I am perfectly bilingual but I was wondering how much the aforesaid would affect my marketability job-wise. I think it should be noted, however, that they MAKE YOU take (and in most cases help you find) 4 work terms in which the school guarantees a pay of $13000 CAD (for 4 months).

Would the jump be beneficial to my future as an engineer in terms of "hands-on" training--do engineers truly just sit around doing integrals and derivatives all day (I have 5 friends who are mech. eng. and they all say NO)?

If it matters at all the school always comes in top 5 in those international/national engineering competitions (building robots, mock bridges etc).

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would also like to make it clear that I would NOT be against doing crazy integrals by hand if I were provided with some "hands-on" applications of my work (not in a book--in real life).

Anyone?

Related to Thinking of transferring (Mech. Eng.)

What is the process for transferring to a different school as a Mechanical Engineering major?

The process for transferring to a different school as a Mechanical Engineering major can vary depending on the specific institutions involved. Generally, it involves researching and selecting potential transfer schools, meeting their admissions requirements, and applying for admission. It is important to also consider transferring credits and ensuring they will be accepted by the new school.

What are the benefits of transferring as a Mechanical Engineering major?

Transferring as a Mechanical Engineering major can provide several benefits, including the opportunity to attend a school with a stronger program or more resources for your specific interests, the ability to complete coursework or research in a different location, and the chance to broaden your academic and professional network.

What are the potential challenges or drawbacks of transferring as a Mechanical Engineering major?

Transferring as a Mechanical Engineering major can also present challenges, such as the need to adjust to a new academic environment and curriculum, potentially losing credits or having to retake courses, and the financial implications of transferring to a different school.

What should I consider before deciding to transfer as a Mechanical Engineering major?

Before deciding to transfer as a Mechanical Engineering major, it is important to carefully consider your reasons for wanting to transfer, the potential benefits and challenges, and whether the new school will be a good fit for your academic and career goals. It may also be helpful to speak with current students or alumni of the transfer school to get a better understanding of their experiences.

Are there any resources or support available for students thinking of transferring as a Mechanical Engineering major?

Yes, there are resources and support available for students thinking of transferring as a Mechanical Engineering major. Many schools have transfer advisors or counselors who can provide guidance and assistance throughout the transfer process. It may also be helpful to connect with current students or alumni who have gone through the transfer process themselves for advice and support.