Thermodynamics - time to cook an egg

In summary, an egg will take 860 seconds to heat from 95 degrees Celsius to 50 degrees Celsius using only conduction.
FEAnalyst
Hi,

as Easter is slowly approaching, I came up with an egg cooking thermodynamics problem that I would like to solve. My formulation of the problem including necessary simplifications is as follows:

Let's assume that an egg is a sphere-shaped solid body made of homogenous material (ignoring the fact that its actually made of yolk and white). During cooking its outer surface is heated to 95 °C (initial temperature about 5 °C). How long will it take to heat the inside of that egg to 50 °C ?

I know how to solve this problem using Finite Element Analysis (numerical analysis claims the time is about 860 s) but how can I do it using hand calculations ? There are some examples about conduction (Fourier's law) in spherical coordinates but they all refer to shells. There's also a complex derivation of equation for egg cooking time based on thermal diffusion equation but it's not what I want too. Is it possible to do it for homogenous solid body assuming conduction only ? Could you show the subsequent steps required to solve it ? I'm not good at differential equations solved analytically so I would be grateful for help.

P.S. It may sound like a homework task but it's definitely not the case. Just a real-life problem.

Science news on Phys.org
FEAnalyst said:
Hi,

as Easter is slowly approaching, I came up with an egg cooking thermodynamics problem that I would like to solve. My formulation of the problem including necessary simplifications is as follows:

Let's assume that an egg is a sphere-shaped solid body made of homogenous material (ignoring the fact that its actually made of yolk and white). During cooking its outer surface is heated to 95 °C (initial temperature about 5 °C). How long will it take to heat the inside of that egg to 50 °C ?

I know how to solve this problem using Finite Element Analysis (numerical analysis claims the time is about 860 s) but how can I do it using hand calculations ? There are some examples about conduction (Fourier's law) in spherical coordinates but they all refer to shells. There's also a complex derivation of equation for egg cooking time based on thermal diffusion equation but it's not what I want too. Is it possible to do it for homogenous solid body assuming conduction only ? Could you show the subsequent steps required to solve it ? I'm not good at differential equations solved analytically so I would be grateful for help.

P.S. It may sound like a homework task but it's definitely not the case. Just a real-life problem.
What is the difference, in your reckoning, between conduction and diffusion of heat??
I believe you need to solve the heat diffusion equation for a homogeneous sphere with a step in the surface temperature at time zero. I'm sure this can be found. It may be solvable for an ellipsoid as well...

Related to Thermodynamics - time to cook an egg

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, energy, and work.

How does thermodynamics relate to cooking an egg?

Thermodynamics is important in cooking an egg because it helps us understand the heat transfer and energy changes that occur during the cooking process.

How long does it take to cook an egg?

The time it takes to cook an egg depends on the cooking method and the desired level of doneness. On average, it takes about 3-4 minutes to cook a soft-boiled egg and 6-7 minutes to cook a hard-boiled egg.

Why does the cooking time vary for different cooking methods?

The cooking time varies because different cooking methods use different levels of heat and energy, which affects the rate at which the egg cooks.

Can thermodynamics help us cook the perfect egg?

Yes, understanding thermodynamics can help us cook the perfect egg by allowing us to control the heat and energy levels to achieve the desired level of doneness.