Heat exchange in a thermal storage based on phase change materials

In summary, a thermal battery based on phase change materials (PCM) is being modeled using a plate heat exchanger immersed in a PCM bath. The temperature at each moment and from everywhere in the battery is being determined, with the assumptions of natural convection being neglected, no supercooling or superheating, an incompressible and Newtonian heat transfer fluid, and neglecting kinetic and potential energy variations. The PCM parts are being modeled in 2D while the heat transfer fluids are modeled in 1D. There is a question about the correctness of certain equations, particularly Eqn. 10, which is related to the enthalpy behavior of solid and liquid phases at different temperatures. There is also a concern about a potential
DianeLR
Hello,

I want to model a thermal battery based on phase change materials (PCM). It is a plate heat exchanger immersed in a PCM bath. The diagram is given in the attached file.
I want to determine the temperature at each moment and from everywhere in the battery. The hypotheses are the following:

- Natural convection neglected (pure conduction),
- No supercooling or superheating,
- incompressible and Newtonian heat transfer fluid,
- Kinetic and potential energy variations are neglected,
- Homogeneous, isotropic and pure body PCM,
- Isothermal phase change,
- Density variation of PCM during the change of state neglected,
- Thermophysical properties independent of temperature (and different for liquid and solid phases).

These assumptions allowed me to obtain the equations visible in the attached file. The MCP parts are modeled in 2D (in x and y) while the heat transfer fluids in 1D (in y).
Do the equations seem correct to you?
Thank you for your answers
?hash=116c30bbcee205fb470bfd76f0258e04.png

Attachments

• PCM_storage_eqs_V2.png
    PCM_storage_eqs_V2.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 56
Science news on Phys.org
I kind of see what you are solving here, but part of it confuses me.

The are two regions of PCM, 1 and 2. Region 1 is next to the hot side of the heat exchanger and 2 is next to the cold side. Both regions can have solid (at temperatures below the melting point), liquid at temperatures above the melting point, or a combination of solid and liquid (liquid fraction f) at the melting point. Correct so far?

I have a problem with Eqn. 10. The enthalpy per unit mass behavior should be as follows:

##h=c_s(T-T_{M})## for ##T<T_M##

##h=Lf## for ##T=T_M##

##h=L+c_l(T-T_M)## for ##T>T_M##

Are you assuming that solid and liquid can exist together at temperatures other than the melting point?

In Eqns. 3 and 4, the final terms on the RHS (axial conduction terms) are negligible except for liquid metals.

It's correct what you said.
For the enthalpie, I used that equation to determine the equation inside the PCM (see picture)

And thanks for the equations (3) and (4). It will be easier to solve with one less term

Attachments

• Annotation 2023-02-06 092121.png
    Annotation 2023-02-06 092121.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 77
I think I am making a mistake with equation (4). The hot heat transfer fluid is against the flow of the cold. Shouldn't there be a minus sign before $$m c_p$$ (on the left of the equality)?

DianeLR said:
For the enthalpie, I used that equation to determine the equation inside the PCM (see picture)
It doesn't look the same as what I gave. It might be easier to integrate 9 and 10 in terms of enthalpy than in terms of temperature.
DianeLR said:
I think I am making a mistake with equation (4). The hot heat transfer fluid is against the flow of the cold. Shouldn't there be a minus sign before $$m c_p$$ (on the left of the equality)?
Yes

Thank you for your response. I will check for the integration in terms of enthalpy.

What is heat exchange in a thermal storage based on phase change materials?

Heat exchange in a thermal storage based on phase change materials refers to the process of transferring thermal energy between a material and its surroundings, resulting in a change in the material's phase (solid, liquid, or gas). This exchange of heat is used to store and release energy in a controlled manner.

What are phase change materials (PCM) and how do they work in thermal storage?

Phase change materials are substances that can store and release large amounts of thermal energy during their phase transition from solid to liquid or liquid to gas. In thermal storage, PCM is used to absorb and release heat during the melting and solidification process, allowing for efficient storage and retrieval of thermal energy.

What are the advantages of using phase change materials in thermal storage?

Some advantages of using phase change materials in thermal storage include high energy storage capacity, low cost, and the ability to store and release energy at a constant temperature. PCM also has a high thermal conductivity, allowing for faster heat transfer and more efficient energy storage.

What factors affect the heat exchange in a thermal storage based on phase change materials?

The heat exchange in a thermal storage based on phase change materials can be affected by various factors, such as the type of PCM used, the temperature difference between the material and its surroundings, and the rate of heat transfer. The design and insulation of the storage system can also impact the efficiency of heat exchange.

What are some applications of thermal storage based on phase change materials?

Thermal storage based on phase change materials has various applications, including in solar energy storage, building heating and cooling systems, and thermal management in electronic devices. It can also be used in industrial processes to store and release thermal energy for heating or cooling purposes.