Thermodynamics Heat Radiation Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the temperature of the top of a car hood exposed to sunlight. The given information includes the emissivity and specific heat of the steel, the area and mass of the hood, and the surrounding environment temperature. The equation Q/T= eθA(T1^4-T2^4) is mentioned, but it is unclear how to find Q/T. The conversation ends with a request for help in finding T1.
astral87
Hi everyone, I am unsure about how to solve this problem. I believe i have the right equation but I'm confused about how I can find Q/T with the information I am given. Is there another equation I can use?

Homework Statement

Assume the steel in the body of an automobile has an emissivity of 0.3 and a
specific heat of 450 J/Kg-degreeC. Take the area of the hood of the
automobile directly exposed to the sun as 3.5 square meters, and its mass
as 24.0 kg. What temperature will the top of the hood reach, assuming it
lost heat by radiating to its surrounding environment, which is at 20 degreesC?

Homework Equations

Q/T= eθA(T1^4-T2^4)
θ (Stefan-Boltzmann Constant) = 5.67 x 10^-8

The Attempt at a Solution

Q/T = (0.30)(5.67x10^-8 w/M2-K4)(3.5M2)[(T1^4-293.15^4 K)

I am searching for T1, anyone know how I can find Q/T? Maybe from another equation but I'm not sure which one.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There seems to be missing info re the power of the sunlight.

Related to Thermodynamics Heat Radiation Problem

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of heat, energy, and their relationship to work and other forms of energy. It is concerned with how energy is transferred and transformed in physical systems, and the laws that govern these processes.

2. What is heat radiation?

Heat radiation, also known as thermal radiation, is the transfer of heat energy through electromagnetic waves. This form of heat transfer does not require a medium and can occur in a vacuum. It is the primary mode of heat transfer for objects at high temperatures, such as the Sun.

3. What is the "heat radiation problem" in thermodynamics?

The heat radiation problem in thermodynamics refers to the challenge of accurately predicting and measuring the amount of heat radiation emitted by an object. This is a complex problem as it depends on various factors such as temperature, surface properties, and surrounding conditions.

4. How does thermodynamics relate to heat radiation?

Thermodynamics provides the fundamental principles and laws that govern heat radiation. It helps us understand the transfer of heat energy through radiation, and how it is affected by different factors. This knowledge is crucial in various fields, such as engineering and environmental science.

5. What are some real-world applications of thermodynamics and heat radiation?

Thermodynamics and heat radiation have many practical applications in our daily lives. They are crucial in the design and operation of various devices, such as refrigerators, air conditioners, and power plants. They also play a significant role in understanding climate change and the Earth's energy balance.