Thermodynamics, heat of fusion

In summary, the problem involves a cooking vessel with 10.0 kg of liquid water and an unknown mass of ice at 0ºC on a slow burner. The temperature of the mixture is measured over time, with a flat line at 0ºC for 50 minutes and a linear increase to 2.00ºC at 60 minutes. The specific heat capacity of water and latent heat of fusion of ice are known, and the goal is to find the initial mass of the ice. By setting up equations for the energy supplied and power, the mass of the ice can be determined.
melissa9

Homework Statement

A cooking vessel on a slow burner contains 10.0 kg of liquid water and an unknown mass of ice in equilibrium at 0ºC at time t=0.00 minutes. The temperature of the mixture is measured at various times and the result is plotted below. During the first 50.0 minutes, the mixture remains at 0ºC. From 50.0 minutes until 60.0 minutes, the temperature increases linearly to 2.00ºC. The specific heat capacity of liquid water is 4190 j/kg•K. The latent heat of fusion of ice is 333x10^3J/kg. Assuming that the burner supplies heat at a constant rate, and neglecting the specific heat capacity of the vessel, please find the initial mass of the ice.

Graph that's posted is exactly as the problem states, Flat line at 0.0 ºC measured every minute for 50 minutes, then a rise of .2ºC each minute until 2.0ºC at 60 mins is reached.

Homework Equations

Q=mLf
Q=mc(delta)T
dQ/dt=mcdT/dt --?(this is where I'm not sure if I should use it or not)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the mass in the 2nd part of the equation will be 10.0kg+m(ice), using the dQ equation I end up having my dts cancel, but I know it has to be a time dependent problem or they wouldn't have given us the time. When I set up
dT/dt = (dQ/dt)/mc and put dT=.2 and dt=60s, they cancel and I'm left with Q=(10+m(ice))*(838). There's got to be different calculus that I'm not seeing here, unless I really just plug that Q into the inititial Q=mLf equation and get a mass, but that just seems too simple.

Physics news on Phys.org
From 50mins to 60mins you are quite correct...you know the mass of water.
You know how much the temp rises, you know the SHC of water so you should be able to write an equation for the energy supplied to the water. You should then be able to write an equation for the power... the rate at which energy is supplied... hope this gets you started.

Related to Thermodynamics, heat of fusion

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that studies the relationship between heat, work, temperature, and energy. It focuses on how these factors affect the behavior of matter and how energy is transferred between different systems.

2. What is the heat of fusion?

The heat of fusion is the amount of energy required to change a substance from a solid state to a liquid state at its melting point. It is also known as the enthalpy of fusion or the latent heat of fusion.

3. How is the heat of fusion measured?

The heat of fusion is typically measured in units of Joules (J) or calories (cal). It can be determined experimentally by measuring the amount of energy required to melt a given mass of a substance at its melting point.

4. What factors affect the heat of fusion?

The heat of fusion of a substance is dependent on the type of substance, its phase (solid or liquid), and its temperature. It can also be affected by external factors such as pressure and the presence of impurities.

5. What is the significance of the heat of fusion?

The heat of fusion is important in various industrial and natural processes, such as melting and solidification of materials, phase transitions in the Earth's mantle, and energy storage in materials such as ice and water. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of matter in various thermodynamic systems.