Thermodynamics - Carnot Cycle-esque question?

In summary, a reversible heat engine operates between a mass of 9 kg of an ideal gas and a heat reservoir at a temperature of 285 K. The efficiency of the heat engine for process 1-2 can be defined as W/(QH)HE and is calculated to be approximately 41.68%. This is determined by using the equations for efficiency, heat transfer, and change in entropy from or to a heat reservoir. At thermal equilibrium (state 2), the temperature of the ideal gas and the heat reservoir would be equal to 285 K. Therefore, the temperature T2 in the equations would be equal to the temperature of the heat reservoir.
ally2106

Homework Statement

A reversible heat engine produces work from the temperature difference that exists between a mass of m = 9 kg of an ideal gas (cv = 716 J/kgK, R = 287 J/kgK) in a rigid container and a heat reservoir at THR = 285 K. The only heat transfer interaction experienced by the container is with the heat engine. The gas in the container is initially at temperature T1 = 772 K and pressure P1 = 106 Pa. The reversible heat engine operates until the ideal gas and the heat reservoir are in thermal equilibirum (state 2). If the efficiency of the heat engine for process 1-2 can be defined as W/(QH)HE, calculate its value.Give your answer as a percent (without the % sign).

Homework Equations

• efficiency = (QH - QL)/QH = W/QH
  • QL = MCvTHRln(T2/T1)
  • E2 - E1 = Q1-2 - W1-2
  • S2 - S1 = QL/ THR - change in entropy from or to a heat reservoir
  • QH = MCv(T2 - T1)

The Attempt at a Solution

If efficiency = (QH - QL)/QH[/B]
= 1 - (QL/QH)
= 1 - ((THRln(T2/T1))/(T2-T1))

I get an answer of 41.683538% but unsure as to what value to use for T2? Would I just use THR (Temp of heat reservoir) seeing as it works at thermal equilibrium? I used the temperature of the reservoir as the T2 value in my solution but not sure if this is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Somewhat amazingly I got the same answer! (I mean the final expression, not the % number. I don't do numbers!). Vote of confidence, anyway!
How can T2 be anything but the reservoir temperature THR? The reservoir has infinite heat capacity so at the end (i.e. "state 2") everything has to reach T = THR.
So far as I can see you got everything right. Congrats!

Related to Thermodynamics - Carnot Cycle-esque question?

1. What is the Carnot cycle?

The Carnot cycle is a theoretical thermodynamic cycle that describes the most efficient way to convert heat energy into work. It consists of four reversible processes: isothermal expansion, adiabatic expansion, isothermal compression, and adiabatic compression.

2. How does the Carnot cycle relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

The Carnot cycle is based on the second law of thermodynamics, which states that heat always flows from a hotter object to a cooler object. The cycle also demonstrates the principle of conservation of energy, as no energy is created or destroyed during the process.

3. What is the efficiency of the Carnot cycle?

The efficiency of the Carnot cycle is given by the ratio of the work output to the heat input. It is always less than 100%, with the maximum theoretical efficiency being 100% at absolute zero temperature.

4. How is the Carnot cycle used in real-world applications?

The Carnot cycle is used as a theoretical model for understanding and improving the efficiency of real-world thermodynamic processes, such as power plants and refrigeration systems. It also serves as a benchmark for comparing the efficiency of these processes.

5. What are the limitations of the Carnot cycle?

The Carnot cycle is an idealized model and does not take into account practical limitations such as friction and heat loss. It also assumes that the processes are reversible, which is not always the case in real-world systems. Additionally, it only applies to a perfect gas, which is not always the case in real-world applications.