Thermodynamics: air expansion in a cylinder

In summary, the gas expands reversibly and reaches a final volume of 8 ft^3. The work done by the gas is -∆E = cV (T2-T1) − a (1/v2 − 1/v1).
sara lopez

Homework Statement

Consider air expansion inside a cylinder. Assume that the volume and initial pressure is 1 ft^3 and 1500 PSI ABS respectively. If the expansion process is reversible and the path is given by P.V^1.4=constant. Calculate the total work done by the gas to reach the final volume of 8 ft^3, express the result in BTU if used:
a) The Van der Waals equation

2. Homework Equations
(P + a^2 / v^2) * (v - b) = RT[/B]
(V−b)T^R/CV=constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

T1(v1 − b)^ R/cV = T2(v2 − b)^ R/cV
W = −∆E = cV (T2 − T1) − a(1/v2 − 1/v1)
how do I replace T2 and T1?
I have two ideas: T1= (P + a^2 / v^2) * (v - b) /R
T2 = (P + a^2 / v^2) * (v - b) /R
or
T1= (P + a^2 / v^2) * (v - b) /R
T2= T1 ( (v1 − b)^ R/cV / (v2 − b)^ R/cV )

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know the P-V relationship for the process, why do you need the van der Waals equation to calculate the work?

I think that the process is for ideal gas, and i already did that, but for van der waals it couldn't be the process, how can I find the work without that process?

sara lopez said:
I think that the process is for ideal gas, and i already did that, but for van der waals it couldn't be the process, how can I find the work without that process?
You don't know anything about the heat added or removed, so you can't do a van der waals gas. If you assume that the process is adiabatic and reversible, then you can. But why do you think that the problem statement is referring to an ideal gas, particularly if the initial pressure is 100 atm?

yes, I have to assume that the process is adiabatic and reversible, and because the first point was find the work with an ideal gas

sara lopez said:
yes, I have to assume that the process is adiabatic and reversible, and because the first point was find the work with an ideal gas
Did you leave that out of the problem statement? What else did you leave out?

the problem only says to find the work with an ideal gas and with the van der waals equation, but I already did with an ideal gas, i don`t how to do it with the van der waals equation

sara lopez said:
the problem only says to find the work with an ideal gas and with the van der waals equation, but I already did with an ideal gas, i don`t how to do it with the van der waals equation
The starting point for the analysis is the general equation for dU as a function of dT and dV:
$$dU=C_vdT+\left[T\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_V-P\right]dV$$
If you substitute the equation for a van der waals gas into the second term in this equation, what do you get for dU?

U = nCv (T2- T1) + a (1/ v1 - 1/v2)

U= nCv (T2-T1) + a (1/v1 - 1/v2)

I was asking for dU in terms of dT and dV. When you integrated, how did you know that Cv was not a function of V? From your equation for dU in terms of dT and dV, can you tell if Cv is a function of V? How?

A trick on this problem is to recognize that , even though you don't know the number of moles n or the initial temperature T1, you know the product nT1. This will help you get the amount of work by determining delta U.

So how do I know if Cv is a function of V?

sara lopez said:
So how do I know if Cv is a function of V?
You found that, for a van der waals gas, $$du=c_vdT+\frac{a}{v^2}dv$$where I have used lower case symbols to represent the properties per mole. From this equation,$$\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial T}\right)_v=c_v$$and $$\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial v}\right)_T=\frac{a}{v^2}$$So that means that $$\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial T \partial v}=\left(\frac{\partial c_v}{\partial v}\right)_T=\left(\frac{\partial (a/v^2)}{\partial T}\right)_v$$But, the right hand side of this equation is equal to zero. Therefore, ##c_v## is not a function of v for a van der Waals gas; it is only a function of T. Therefore, it must be equal to the limiting value at infinite v, which denotes the ideal gas value. Therefore ##c_v## for a van der Waals gas is the value for the same gas in the ideal gas limit.

Sara, I think I may have been incorrect in what I said in post #12. For a van der Waals gas, it may not be possible to get the total work done W, but only the work per mole w (unless they told you the number of moles or the initial temperature). So let's work it out per mole first (anyway).

You found that $$w=-\Delta u=-\left[c_v(T_2-T_1)+a\left(\frac{1}{v_1}-\frac{1}{v_2}\right)\right]$$
You should also be able to show that $$\frac{T_2}{T_1}=\left(\frac{(v_1-b)}{(v_2-b)}\right)^{\frac{R}{c_v}}$$
Therefore, $$w=-\left[c_vT_1\left(\left(\frac{(v_1-b)}{(v_2-b)}\right)^{\frac{R}{c_v}}-1\right)+a\left(\frac{1}{v_1}-\frac{1}{v_2}\right)\right]$$
This is the work per mole. But, I don't know how to get the number of moles without knowing T1.

Chet

To replace T in the equation like
T=(P + a^2 / v^2) * (v - b) / R
And put everything in terms of P and V

sara lopez said:
To replace T in the equation like
T=(P + a^2 / v^2) * (v - b) / R
And put everything in terms of P and V
The v's in this equation are the volume per mole, not the actual volume. So, vn = V. But you don't know n.

Also, in your equation, there should be an a, not an a2.

Yes, it was my mistake

But I can take n=1

sara lopez said:
But I can take n=1
Did they tell you that there is 1 mole?

No, but I can assume that

sara lopez said:
No, but I can assume that
Really. Who says? What initial temperature do you get if you assume that?

I don`t have temperature, What else can I do?

sara lopez said:
I don`t have temperature, What else can I do?
If you know the initial pressure, the initial volume, and the number of moles, you can use the van der Waals equation to calculate the initial temperature. What value do you get?

i don`t have the number of moles, that's why I was thinking of use n=1

sara lopez said:
i don`t have the number of moles, that's why I was thinking of use n=1
What do you get for the starting temperature when you assume n = 1?

T1 = https://www.physicsforums.com/file://localhost/Users/Carolina/Library/Group%20Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/msoclip1/01/clip_image001.png T1 = - 175,3 K

Last edited by a moderator:
and what're the units for this work?

sara lopez said:
T1 = https://www.physicsforums.com/file://localhost/Users/Carolina/Library/Group%20Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/msoclip1/01/clip_image001.png T1 = - 175,3 K
Does this answer seem reasonable to you? What does the ideal gas law predict with n = 1?

Last edited by a moderator:
sara lopez said:
and what're the units for this work?
What are your thoughts on this?

bar*m^3 and then pass them to BTU

sara lopez said:
bar*m^3 and then pass them to BTU
because i have for a =1,358 bar (m^3/kmol)^2 and b= 0,0364 m^3/kmol

sara lopez said:
because i have for a =1,358 bar (m^3/kmol)^2 and b= 0,0364 m^3/kmol
Why would that give a negative temperature?

Chestermiller said:
Why would that give a negative temperature?
P2 is -48,354 Bar

sara lopez said:
because the volume molar is less than b
0.0364 m^3/kmol = 0.0000364 m^3/mol

Chestermiller said:
0.0364 m^3/kmol = 0.0000364 m^3/mol
sorry, now the temperature 2 = 15304,4 K, isn't high?

Last edited: