Thermal Expansion on Pendum- Period related question

In summary, the grandfather clock would run slower by 1.9 minutes per day if the room temperature were to be increased to and maintained at 30 degrees.
joeyscl

Homework Statement

A grandfather clock is calibrated to 20 degrees Celsius. If the room temperature were to be increased to and maintained at 30 degrees, how much would the clock run slower by in a 7 day period? (Yes, the length of the pendulum is NOT given)

Can someone help me with this question please? Also wondering, if you're going to do this question with calculus, is there a way to not use calculus and solve it?

Homework Equations

delta T brass= L(initial)x 1.9x10^-5 x 10
period P= 2Pi x Root (L/g)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely stumped by this question, all i know is dL/L= 1.9x10^-4

Physics news on Phys.org
joeyscl said:

Homework Statement

A grandfather clock is calibrated to 20 degrees Celsius. If the room temperature were to be increased to and maintained at 30 degrees, how much would the clock run slower by in a 7 day period? (Yes, the length of the pendulum is NOT given)

Can someone help me with this question please? Also wondering, if you're going to do this question with calculus, is there a way to not use calculus and solve it?

Homework Equations

delta T brass= L(initial)x 1.9x10^-5 x 10
period P= 2Pi x Root (L/g)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely stumped by this question, all i know is dL/L= 1.9x10^-4

shouldn't there be an equation relating dL and dt ?

erm, well, it gives you Period, it also gives u % change in length (well, more like u can calculate it)... how do u go from there?

This is a classic problem that needs binomial expansion.

P+dP = 2*pi * sqrt((L+dL)/g)

Expand out the sqrt as a binomial expansion, to first order, then subtract off P to get the value for dP.

except you're not given L and dL...
you can only calculate dL/L

cmon, if it were THAT easy i wouldn't be asking for help >,<
I was *easily* one of the best physics students in my Grade in my high school days (only last year, haha) >,<

Do you even remember how to do a binomial expansion...? I think you'll find that it just works... Any a word of advice: no matter how good you think you are, you're still here asking questions -- questions that some of the advisers will have been doing without every asking anyone else since long before you were born.

genneth si right.
You shold use binomal expansion. The other way of doing it, is to write log of the equation [tex] P = 2\pi\sqrt{L/g} [/tex] and then derivate it. What you'll get is
[tex]\frac{\Delta P}{P}=\frac{1}{2}\frac{\Delta L} {L}[/tex]

hey you're in my phys 153 class eh? lol

1. How does thermal expansion affect the period of a pendulum?

Thermal expansion refers to the increase in size of a material as its temperature rises. In the case of a pendulum, an increase in temperature causes the pendulum's length to increase, which in turn affects its period. This is because the period of a pendulum is directly proportional to its length, so a longer pendulum has a longer period and vice versa. Therefore, when a pendulum expands due to thermal energy, its period will increase as well.

2. Does the material of the pendulum affect its thermal expansion and period?

Yes, the material of the pendulum does affect its thermal expansion and period. Different materials have different coefficients of thermal expansion, which determine how much a material will expand with a change in temperature. Therefore, a pendulum made of a material with a high coefficient of thermal expansion will expand more and have a greater change in period compared to a pendulum made of a material with a lower coefficient.

3. Can thermal expansion cause a pendulum to lose its accuracy?

Yes, thermal expansion can cause a pendulum to lose its accuracy. As the pendulum expands and its length increases, the period will also increase, which means it will take longer for the pendulum to complete each swing. This change in period can cause the pendulum to lose its accuracy and may affect its timekeeping abilities.

4. How can the effects of thermal expansion on a pendulum be minimized?

One way to minimize the effects of thermal expansion on a pendulum is to use materials with a low coefficient of thermal expansion, such as steel or invar, to construct the pendulum. Another method is to keep the pendulum in a controlled environment with a consistent temperature to reduce any fluctuations that could cause thermal expansion.

5. Is thermal expansion the only factor that affects the period of a pendulum?

No, thermal expansion is not the only factor that affects the period of a pendulum. Other factors such as the angle of the pendulum, the strength of the gravitational field, and air resistance can also affect the pendulum's period. However, thermal expansion is an important factor to consider, especially in precision timekeeping devices.