Linear expansion of a pendulum

In summary: Keep up the good work!In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving a simple pendulum clock situated in Anchorage, Alaska with a pendulum consisting of a 1.00kg mass and a 2.000m long brass rod. The clock was calibrated in the summer with an average temperature of 19.5°C and the question asked for the time elapsed on the clock during a 24-hour period in the winter with an average temperature of -25.5°C. The solution involved calculating the change in length of the pendulum due to the contraction of the brass rod, and then using the period equation to find the time elapsed. However, the initial attempt at the solution was incorrect due to not taking into account the fact
castrodisastro

Homework Statement

A clock based on a simple pendulum is situated outdoors in Anchorage, Alaska. The pendulum consists of a mass of 1.00kg that is hanging from a thin brass rod that is 2.000m long. The clock is calibrated perfectly during a summer day with an average temperature of 19.5°C. During the winter, the average temperature over one 24-h period is −25.5°C. Find the time elapsed for that period according to the simple pendulum clock.

Tinitial = 19.5 °C = 292.5 K
Tfinal = -25.5 °C = 247.5 K
ΔT = -45 K
mp = 1.00 kg
Lrod = 2.00 m
αbrass=19*10-6/°C

Homework Equations

Ltotal=L+α(ΔT)L
T=2[itex]\pi\sqrt{}(L/G)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculate the change in length due to the linear expansion of the brass rod

Ltotal=(2.00 m)+(19*10-6)(45 K)(2.00 m)
Ltotal=(2.00 m)+(-1.71*10-3)
Ltotal=(1.9983 m)

The I calculated the length of the period.

T=2pi(1.99/(9.81m/s2))[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]
T=2pi(0.451 s)
T=2.8358 s

I submitted this answer to my online homework but it was incorrect. I think it has something to do with how the question includes "...winter, the average temperature over one 24 -h period is -25.5 °C. Find the time elapsed for that period according..." but I don't understand if it is asking for something more.

Any Help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Please don't be rude
I will gladly provide more information on my calculations.

Physics news on Phys.org
You would be claiming, if your answer were correct, that over a 24-hour period, only 2.8358 second elapses on the clock. Doesn't sound right, does it?

So if the rod shortens, the period of the pendulum would be shorter, the time elapsed on the clock during a 24 hour period would more than 24 hours.

If the period was originally 2.8370, it is now 2.8358

If a 24 hour period is 86,400 seconds, one period of the pendulum is 2.8370 seconds, it would take

(86,400 s)/(2.8370 s/period) = 3,0454.705 periods originally.

Would I then multiply 3,0454.705 periods by the new length of the period 2.8358 seconds to see how many seconds would elapse on the clock after the same number of periods required for 24 hours before the rod contracted.

(3,0454.705 periods)(2.8358 s/period) = 86,363.45244 s

(86,363.45244 seconds)/(3600s/h) = 23.9898 hours

So does this mean that after 24 hours, the clock would read 23 hours 59 hours 23.5 seconds.?

You kinda have the right idea, but you're holding the wrong quantity constant. It's not the number of periods that stays the same; it's the actual time elapsed that remains at 24 hours for both cases. You want to calculate the number of shortened-rod periods that fit into that time interval and then figure out what reading that corresponds to on the clock.

Likes 1 person
If the period of the shortened rod is 2.8358 seconds, then during a 24 hour day, the pendulum experiences 3,0467.593 periods.

3,0467.593 periods is 100.0423% of the original number of periods. Would this mean that the clock would read

24 h + (24 h*100.0423%) = 24 hours, 0 minutes, and 36.56 seconds

That makes sense, hopefully that is correct.

Thanks, I just submitted that answer to my online homework and it was correct. I appreciate the help

You're welcome. Glad you figured it out.

1. What is linear expansion of a pendulum?

Linear expansion of a pendulum refers to the change in the length of a pendulum's string due to changes in temperature. As the temperature increases, the string will expand and the pendulum will become longer, affecting its period and swing.

2. How does temperature affect the length of a pendulum's string?

Temperature affects the length of a pendulum's string because most materials expand when heated and contract when cooled. This expansion and contraction can lead to changes in the length of the string, which in turn affects the pendulum's period and swing.

3. What is the formula for calculating the linear expansion of a pendulum's string?

The formula for calculating the linear expansion of a pendulum's string is ΔL = αLΔT, where ΔL is the change in length, α is the coefficient of linear expansion for the material, L is the original length of the string, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

4. How does linear expansion affect the accuracy of a pendulum's swing?

Linear expansion can affect the accuracy of a pendulum's swing by changing the length of the string, which in turn changes the period and swing of the pendulum. If the length of the string changes significantly due to temperature, it can throw off the timing of the pendulum and affect its accuracy.

5. How can linear expansion be accounted for when using a pendulum for scientific experiments?

To account for linear expansion when using a pendulum for scientific experiments, the coefficient of linear expansion for the material of the pendulum's string should be determined and factored into the calculations. Additionally, the temperature of the environment should be carefully monitored and controlled to minimize the effects of linear expansion on the pendulum's swing.