How to solve for the spillover for a spherical container?o

In summary: Before: -Mercury is at the bottom of the container-Steel sphere is at the top of the container-Container is fullAfter: -Mercury has spilled out of the top of the container-Steel sphere is still at the top of the container, but now the mercury has spilled all over it
HelloMrCo

Homework Statement

A spherical brass shell has an interior volume of 1.60 x 10-3m^3. Within this interior volume is a solid steel ball that has a volume of 0.70 x 10-3m^3. The space between the steel ball and the inner surface of the brass shell is filled completely with mercury. A small hole is drilled through the brass, and the temperature of the arrangement is increased by 12 celsius degree. What is the volume of the mercury that spills out of the hole?

Homework Equations

Delta V = B*Vo*Delta t

The Attempt at a Solution

Delta V(Mercury) = 3.49e-6 m^3
Delta V(Brass) = 1.09e-6 m^3
Delta V(Steel) = 3.02e-7 m^3

I've already computed for all of the changes in volume for the two spheres and the mercury. I'm having a problem on how to solve for the spillover because from our previous examples there are no spherical containers.

Physics news on Phys.org
My first thought is that the interior volume of the brass (if your equation is appropriate for hollow containers as well) is the limiting factor.
If the original arrangement was full...then any change in the total volume of the contents (mercury and steel) exceeding the change in volume of the container (brass) will be the volume that spills out.

RUber said:
My first thought is that the interior volume of the brass (if your equation is appropriate for hollow containers as well) is the limiting factor.
If the original arrangement was full...then any change in the total volume of the contents (mercury and steel) exceeding the change in volume of the container (brass) will be the volume that spills out.
So what would be the equation now if that is the case?

RUber said:
Side note: I'm using the equations that our professor gave us about thermal expansion and the equation for a regular spillover is:

Spillover = Delta V(Liquid) - Delta V(Container)

I also don't have an idea how to solve for the spillover with another material inside the container.

How did you determine the initial volume of mercury?

gneill said:
How did you determine the initial volume of mercury?
It is stated in the problem that the sphere brass was filled with mercury so that means it is the same volume.

HelloMrCo said:
It is stated in the problem that the sphere brass was filled with mercury so that means it is the same volume.
What about the steel sphere that's also taking up space inside the brass shell?

gneill said:
What about the steel sphere that's also taking up space inside the brass shell?
So that means I have to subtract the volume of the steel sphere to the volume of the brass sphere in order to get the volume of the mercury. But still I have the problem on how to get the spillover because it is a whole different equation since the container is spherical.

HelloMrCo said:
So that means I have to subtract the volume of the steel sphere to the volume of the brass sphere in order to get the volume of the mercury. But still I have the problem on how to get the spillover because it is a whole different equation since the container is spherical.
The volumes will change according to the expansion formula in the same way regardless of their shapes, so you can determine the initial volume available for mercury inside the structure and then the volume that's available after the materials expand. You'll have a new mercury volume and the amount space available inside the container... what doesn't fit is what spills out.

gneill said:
The volumes will change according to the expansion formula in the same way regardless of their shapes, so you can determine the initial volume available for mercury inside the structure and then the volume that's available after the materials expand. You'll have a new mercury volume and the amount space available inside the container... what doesn't fit is what spills out.
So I'll still be using the same formula that was given to me when solving for a regular spillover but with the addition of the steel sphere. So the equation will be:
Spillover = Delta V(Mercury) + Delta V(Steel) - Delta V(Container)
Is this right?

HelloMrCo said:
So I'll still be using the same formula that was given to me when solving for a regular spillover but with the addition of the steel sphere. So the equation will be:
Spillover = Delta V(Mercury) + Delta V(Steel) - Delta V(Container)
Is this right?
That should work.

Personally I find it easier to think in terms of before and after total volumes, but it reduces to the "Delta" approach if you lay out the math.

gneill said:
That should work.

Personally I find it easier to think in terms of before and after total volumes, but it reduces to the "Delta" approach if you lay out the math.
Hey thanks for helping me! I was having a really hard time solving this problem.

HelloMrCo said:
Hey thanks for helping me! I was having a really hard time solving this problem.
You're welcome. Glad to help.

Related to How to solve for the spillover for a spherical container?o

1. How do you calculate the spillover for a spherical container?

The spillover for a spherical container can be calculated by using the formula V = (4/3)πr^3, where V is the volume of the container and r is the radius of the spherical container.

2. What is the significance of solving for the spillover in a spherical container?

Solving for the spillover in a spherical container is important for understanding the maximum capacity of the container and determining how much liquid or substance it can hold before overflowing.

3. Can the spillover be affected by the material of the spherical container?

Yes, the material of the spherical container can affect the spillover as different materials have different densities and can hold different amounts of liquid or substance.

4. How can the spillover be prevented in a spherical container?

The spillover in a spherical container can be prevented by adjusting the radius of the container, using a different material with a higher density, or by controlling the amount of liquid or substance poured into the container.

5. Is there a limit to how much the spillover can be reduced in a spherical container?

Yes, there is a limit to how much the spillover can be reduced as it ultimately depends on the volume and surface area of the container, as well as the properties of the liquid or substance being poured into it.