Thermal conductivity of the wetsuit

In summary, the conversation is about estimating the heat loss of a person wearing a 3mm wetsuit in water at 10ºC. The suggestion is to look up the thermal conductivity of the suit material and use it in a formula to calculate the power. The person also asks where to find the thermal conductivity of wetsuits made for watersports, which is provided by the website mentioned in the conversation.
jero971
hi,

I would appreciate any help i could get on this, thanks.

I've to estimate the heat loss from a person, immersed in water at 10ºC if he is wearing a 3mm wetsuit

did anyone know how to process?

thanks a lot

jerem

Science news on Phys.org
look up the thermal conductivity (k) of the suit material (W/mk)
Then power = k * area * temperture difference /thickness

You normally estimate the area of a body as 2m^2

thanks

but where can i find the wetsuit conductivity (clothing for watersport)?

Last edited:
jero971 said:
thanks

but where can i find the wetsuit conductivity (clothing for watersport)?

Diving suits are usually made of Neoprane, according to the site below the thermal conductivity is: 0.15-0.45 W/m*k.
http://hypertextbook.com/physics/thermal/conduction/

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Thermal conductivity of the wetsuit

1. What is thermal conductivity?

Thermal conductivity is a measure of how well a material can transfer heat. It is the amount of heat that can pass through a unit area of a material in a unit of time when there is a temperature gradient across the material.

2. How is thermal conductivity measured?

Thermal conductivity is typically measured using a device called a thermal conductivity meter. This instrument measures the amount of heat that passes through a material in a specific amount of time, while keeping the temperature gradient constant.

3. What factors affect the thermal conductivity of a wetsuit?

The thermal conductivity of a wetsuit can be affected by several factors, including the thickness and type of material used, the presence of air pockets or insulation, and the presence of any additional layers or coatings on the wetsuit. The fit of the wetsuit on the wearer's body can also affect its thermal conductivity.

4. Why is thermal conductivity important in a wetsuit?

Thermal conductivity is an important factor to consider when choosing a wetsuit because it affects the level of insulation and warmth provided to the wearer. A wetsuit with a higher thermal conductivity will allow more heat to escape, making it less effective at keeping the wearer warm in cold water.

5. How can the thermal conductivity of a wetsuit be improved?

The thermal conductivity of a wetsuit can be improved by using thicker or more insulating materials, reducing air pockets or gaps in the suit, and using additional layers or coatings to trap heat. The fit of the wetsuit can also be optimized to reduce heat loss. Wetsuit manufacturers often conduct research and testing to improve the thermal conductivity of their products.