Theoretical HEP or neuroscience?

In summary, a person decided to switch their major to neuroscience after feeling that physics did not have the same "elegance" as neuroscience. They would need to take a lot of classes to catch up in knowledge in biophysics.
upigdir
ever since my first year in undergraduate, I wanted to pursue a degree on theoretical high energy physics. so I took a lot of theoretical classes and started a double major in math (I dropped it after I took some classes I was interested in). however now I have only one year left, I began to consider neuroscience as an alternative. I've always been interested in human mind (it is the most complex structure we know so far after all) and I find the area very promising. but then, I don't think the main research methods and general approach to problems is as challenging as physics. besides, it lacks the "elegance" of physics. and then I will have to take a lot of classes in graduate school to make up my lack of knowledge in biophysics.

Is there anyone took a sharp turn towards neuroscience? any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you want to do experiment or theory? Some of the theory is heavily inspired by theoretical condensed matter/statistical physics and has applications in machine learning (Neural Networks) and doesn't necessarily currently care about connections to experiments in, say, humans. There's also the statistical/computer science side which involves developing statistical/computational techniques to make inferences from data (Sebastien Seung does cool stuff here). Both can involve a lot of gnarly math and theory.

The former is more for dealing with fundamental problems and does not relate to experiment very well these days IIRC. The latter is more for uncovering the nature of complex, messy, low quality experimental data.

I don't know anything about experiment.

Likes upigdir
Crass_Oscillator said:
Do you want to do experiment or theory? Some of the theory is heavily inspired by theoretical condensed matter/statistical physics and has applications in machine learning (Neural Networks) and doesn't necessarily currently care about connections to experiments in, say, humans. There's also the statistical/computer science side which involves developing statistical/computational techniques to make inferences from data (Sebastien Seung does cool stuff here). Both can involve a lot of gnarly math and theory.

The former is more for dealing with fundamental problems and does not relate to experiment very well these days IIRC. The latter is more for uncovering the nature of complex, messy, low quality experimental data.

I don't know anything about experiment.
very helpful! yes, i want to do theory. never been good at experimenting tho. I've been gathering information about schools, and I think I will give it a shot, along with my HEP applications :) thank you.

Related to Theoretical HEP or neuroscience?

1. What is the purpose of theoretical HEP or neuroscience?

Theoretical HEP (High Energy Physics) and neuroscience both aim to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe and the human brain, respectively. Theoretical HEP seeks to explain the structure and behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level, while neuroscience aims to understand the mechanisms of the brain and how it gives rise to consciousness and behavior.

2. How does theoretical HEP or neuroscience contribute to scientific advancements?

Theoretical HEP and neuroscience play a crucial role in scientific advancements by providing theoretical frameworks and models that can be tested through experiments and observations. These fields also help to identify gaps in our current understanding and guide future research in these areas.

3. What are the main challenges faced by researchers in theoretical HEP or neuroscience?

One of the main challenges in theoretical HEP is the development of a unified theory that can explain all fundamental interactions and particles in the universe. In neuroscience, the complexity of the human brain and the limitations of technology make it difficult to fully understand its functions and processes.

4. How does theoretical HEP or neuroscience impact everyday life?

Theoretical HEP and neuroscience have a significant impact on everyday life through technological advancements. Theoretical HEP has led to the development of new technologies like particle accelerators and medical imaging techniques, while neuroscience has contributed to the understanding and treatment of brain-related disorders.

5. What are some current research topics in theoretical HEP or neuroscience?

In theoretical HEP, some current research topics include the study of dark matter and dark energy, as well as the search for new particles and forces beyond the Standard Model. In neuroscience, current research focuses on topics like brain-computer interfaces, neural networks, and the neural basis of consciousness and decision-making.