The Troposkien (skipping rope curve)

In summary, the problem involves a chain rotating with constant angular velocity and no gravity acting on the system. Using the principle of least action, the action can be written as a function of the potential energy and a Lagrange multiplier for the constraint that the length of the chain remains constant. The resulting equations of motion can be found by minimizing the action. This approach is justified and any potential improvements or suggestions are welcome.
Siberion
The Troposkien (skipping rope curve) - Variational principle approach

Homework Statement

Consider a chain of length l and homogeneous mass density ρ rotating with constant angular velocity ω with respect to an axis which bounds the two ends. There is no gravity acting on the system, and and d < l, where d is the separation between both ends of the chain.

a) Find a principle of least action that describes the system.
b) Find the equations of motion that describe the system,

So basically this is the image of the resulting curve for better understanding of the problem:
220px-Darrieus_rotor001.jpg

Homework Equations

I wanted to approach the problem with the same principle that applies to the catenary, (i.e chain hanging under its own weight) but replacing the gravity acceleration g in terms of the angular velocity ω.

For the catenary, we want to minimize the potential energy:

[tex]V = ∫gρy√(1+x'^2) dy[/tex]

In our case, the centrifugal acceleration will take the role of gravity, in which [tex]g = -yω^2[/tex]

Replacing into the previous equation, and considering the condition that the length of the chain remains constant, i.e l = ∫ds (I will add the lagrange multiplier for such constrain), the action can be written as:

[tex]I = -ρω^2∫y^2√(1+x'^2)dy + λ(∫√(1+x'^2)dy - l)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I basically would like to know if this approach is justified, and in case it's not, any help or ideas would be very appreciated.

Thanks for your time

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That looks good to me.

Although I don't think it matters much, someone might argue that the first integral in I should have a factor of 1/2 if you consider the potential energy as coming from the integral with respect to y of the centrifugal force ρω2y.

Related to The Troposkien (skipping rope curve)

What is "The Troposkien (skipping rope curve)"?

The Troposkien, also known as the skipping rope curve, is a mathematical curve that resembles the shape of a skipping rope. It is a specific type of curve called a hypocycloid, which is created by tracing a point on the circumference of a circle as it rolls along the inside of another circle.

Who discovered the Troposkien?

The Troposkien was first discussed by the famous Greek mathematician Archimedes in his work "On Spirals". However, it was not formally studied until the 18th century by mathematician Leonhard Euler.

What are some real-world applications of the Troposkien?

The Troposkien has been used in engineering and design, specifically in the creation of gears and gears systems. It has also been used in the design of bicycle wheels and other rotating mechanisms.

What makes the Troposkien unique?

The Troposkien is unique because it is a non-linear curve that is not easily described by traditional geometric shapes. It also has interesting properties, such as constantly changing curvature and the ability to create complex shapes with a single continuous line.

How is the Troposkien related to other mathematical curves?

The Troposkien is a specific type of hypocycloid, which is a curve created by tracing a point on the circumference of one circle as it rolls along the inside of another circle. It is related to other types of hypocycloids, such as the epitrochoid and the hypotrochoid, which have different ratios between the radii of the two circles.