Spinning ball deviation from straight path | Magnus effect

In summary, a pitcher is able to make a baseball follow a curved path by impinging spin on the ball, creating the Magnus effect. The ball's deviation can be calculated using the equation ##x = R \Big[ 1 - \sqrt{1-\Big( \frac{L}{R}\Big)^2}\Big]##, where ##L## is the lift force and ##R## is the radius of the ball's circular path. The approach outlined by the TA considers the ball's movement as a straight line with a constant lift force, while your approach takes into account the ball's curved path and changing lift force. Both methods give similar results, but your method is more accurate for smaller deflections.
JD_PM
Homework Statement
Please see below pic. Let's focus on obtaining how much will the ball deviate from a straight path and assume the given spin of ##11600## rpm and ##C_L = 0.4## to be the lift coefficient
Relevant Equations
N/A
Exercise5.Session1.png

Let's focus on obtaining how much will the ball deviate from a straight path and assume the spin of the ball to be ##11600## rpm and ##C_L = 0.4## to be the lift coefficient

A pitcher is able to make a baseball follow a curved path by impinging spin on the ball (which triggers nonsymmetric flows about the ball and a force being exerted on the ball perpendicular to its angular velocity. Such phenomena is known as Magnus effect).

My approach:

I assumed the ball to deviate in a circular path of radius ##R##. Then, by geometry

1.png

We obtain

\begin{equation}
x+R\cos \theta = R \Rightarrow x = R \Big[ 1 - \sqrt{1-\Big( \frac{L}{R}\Big)}\Big] \tag{1}
\end{equation}

There are two unknowns in this equation: the deviation ##x## and the radius ##R##. Hence, we need to find another equation.

The force of lift is perpendicular to the angular velocity of the baseball and points outwards. The centripetal force counters the lift i.e. their magnitudes are equal. This is why the ball follows a curved path.

Out of ##F_c = F_L## we obtain (the lift force is given to be ##F_L = \frac 1 2 \rho A v^2 C_L## where ##C_L = 0.4## is the given lift coefficient, ##\rho = 1.225## Kg/m##^3## is the ambient air density, ##A= \pi R^2 = \frac{\pi}{4} D^2## is the baseball area and ##v## is baseball's speed)

$$F_c = F_L \Rightarrow m\frac{v^2}{R} = \frac 1 2 \rho A v^2 C_L \Rightarrow R = \frac{8m}{\pi \rho D^2 C_L} = 137.64 \ \text{m}.$$

Hence we plug R into ##(1)## and obtain ##x=1.18 \ \text{m}##.

Despite getting the right answer, the TA told me that the approach is not correct. Let me quote his explanation

"Indeed if you want to be accurate, you have to consider that the ball moves on a curved path. However, the path doesn’t have to be a circular arc (to put it in your words, R and the center of the circle change while the ball moves). Also, the angular velocity isn’t that of the ball rotating around that assumed center, instead it is the rotation of the ball around its own axis. Hence, the centripetal force you stated is incorrect.In order to solve this problem you should think of the following

1- The drag is negligible, so the initial velocity of the ball in the x direction doesn't change.

2- The y velocity component is 0 at the beginning but it increases because the lift acts in this direction.

3- The second assumption is that the y-component of the velocity remains negligible comparing to the x-component, and so the x-component can be used in the lift equation, which makes the lift constant.

Here's a sketch"

IIIII.png

I would like to discuss with you guys how do you see his approach and whether you would use an alternative one.

Thank you :biggrin:

Likes PhDeezNutz
Physics news on Phys.org
I think your method is correct and is more accurate than the method outlined by the TA. The TA's approach works well because the deflection is small. Both methods give the same result to 3 significant figures.

I noticed a little typographical error:
JD_PM said:
\begin{equation}
x+R\cos \theta = R \Rightarrow x = R \Big[ 1 - \sqrt{1-\Big( \frac{L}{R}\Big)}\Big] \tag{1}
\end{equation}
##\frac{L}{R}## should be squared.

Likes JD_PM and PhDeezNutz

What is the Magnus effect?

The Magnus effect is a phenomenon in which a spinning object moving through a fluid experiences a force perpendicular to the direction of motion. This force is caused by the difference in air pressure on opposite sides of the spinning object.

How does the Magnus effect affect the path of a spinning ball?

The Magnus effect causes a spinning ball to deviate from its straight path. This is because the air pressure on the side of the ball spinning in the same direction as its motion is lower, causing the ball to be pushed in that direction.

What factors affect the magnitude of the Magnus effect?

The magnitude of the Magnus effect is affected by the spin rate of the object, the density and viscosity of the fluid, and the size and shape of the object. A higher spin rate, lower density and viscosity, and larger or more streamlined object will result in a stronger Magnus effect.

Can the Magnus effect be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the Magnus effect can be observed in everyday life. Examples include the curve of a baseball or the swerve of a soccer ball when kicked with spin. It is also utilized in sports such as tennis and golf to create spin and control the trajectory of the ball.

Are there any practical applications of the Magnus effect?

Yes, the Magnus effect has several practical applications. It is used in various sports, as mentioned before, as well as in aerodynamics to improve the lift and stability of airplanes and other flying objects. It is also utilized in wind turbines to increase their efficiency.