What is the Correct Integral Setup for Finding Tension in a Rope on a Cone?

In summary, The given problem involves a rope with weight W sitting on a cone at a given angle ø and radius r. The objective is to find the tension T in the rope. The equilibrium is expressed as T*L*dø*cos(ø) - m*g**dø*L*-sin(ø) = 0, which simplifies to T = W*tan(ø). This problem involves a circular ring of rope placed on a cone with the apex facing upwards. The weight of the rope contributes to the tension, which is countered by the radial component of the weight. The tension can be expressed as a function of the angle as T = W*tan(ø). The tangential component of the angle is in the normal direction,
KleZMeR

Homework Statement

I am given the weight (force) of the rope as W. It sits on a cone about halfway down, with the cone's top angle ø. Radius at a given placement is r, and h is our height at a given placement.
I need to find the tension, T, in the rope.

Homework Equations

W=mg
Integral (F * dr) = 0
I am taking r to be along the x axis.
L = sqrt(r^2 + h^2)
X = L*cos(ø)
Y = L*sin(ø)
dX = dø*L*-sin(ø)
dY = dø*L*cos(ø)

The Attempt at a Solution

Expressing my equilibrium as:

T*L*dø*cos(ø)-m*g**dø*L*-sin(ø) = 0

I get: T = W*tan(ø)

This seems over simplified? Or am I over-thinking it? It's around a circle radius r and each element of T summed over the circle would be 2*pi*T but the gravitational force is also summed over 2*pi. Perhaps I skipped over the line integral of this? I am very interested in the correct integral setup of this problem because it looks like a future test question, and I also want to know how my 2*pi factor disappears (if it was ever present?) Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need a diagram.

You are given the "top angle" of the cone - which wording suggests that the cone is oriented with the apex upwards, and the rope is draped over the outside. If the rope is draped anywhere below the apex, then it will be draped over a hyperbola - but nothing dangles.

The mention of circles suggests that the cone is tilted so the central axis is horizontal.
In which case, what is stopping you from using a previous result for tension from being draped over a circle?

Simon Bridge said:
You need a diagram.

You are given the "top angle" of the cone - which wording suggests that the cone is oriented with the apex upwards, and the rope is draped over the outside. If the rope is draped anywhere below the apex, then it will be draped over a hyperbola - but nothing dangles.

The mention of circles suggests that the cone is tilted so the central axis is horizontal.
In which case, what is stopping you from using a previous result for tension from being draped over a circle?

I suspect that the rope is in fact a circular ring of rope and the OP is meant to find the tension in the rope that results from it being placed on a cone (apex up). The weight of the rope results in an outward radial force all around the circumference which must be countered by a tension in the rope.

Thanks guys, here's the diagram.

I get that the weight contributes to the tension, but it is not the full weight that is equal to the tension, but rather the radial component.

Attachments

• Photo on 9-14-14 at 7.31 AM.jpg
    Photo on 9-14-14 at 7.31 AM.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 634
Cool - so walk us through the reasoning that leads to your result.

Ok, well I consider the constraint, being the solid cone. Any contribution from gravity must then be in the radial direction, normal to the cone. I am trying to find the tension as a function of the angle, and the tangential component of the angle is definitely in the normal direction.

Related to What is the Correct Integral Setup for Finding Tension in a Rope on a Cone?

What is tension in a rope on a cone?

Tension in a rope on a cone refers to the force that is exerted on the rope when it is pulled taut over a cone-shaped object. The tension force is directed along the length of the rope and is responsible for keeping it in place on the cone.

How is tension in a rope on a cone calculated?

The tension in a rope on a cone can be calculated using the formula T = (m * g)/(cosθ + μsinθ), where T is the tension force, m is the mass of the object attached to the rope, g is the acceleration due to gravity, θ is the angle of the cone, and μ is the coefficient of friction between the rope and the cone.

What factors affect the tension in a rope on a cone?

The tension in a rope on a cone is affected by several factors, including the mass of the object attached to the rope, the angle of the cone, the coefficient of friction between the rope and the cone, and the force applied to the rope.

How does the angle of the cone affect tension in a rope?

The angle of the cone has a direct impact on the tension in a rope on a cone. As the angle increases, the tension force also increases due to the increased resistance of the rope against the cone's surface. Conversely, as the angle decreases, the tension force decreases.

What is the significance of tension in a rope on a cone in real-life applications?

Tension in a rope on a cone has many real-life applications, such as in rock climbing, where ropes are used to secure climbers to the surface of a cone-shaped rock. Understanding the tension force is also important in engineering and construction, as it helps determine the strength and stability of structures built on inclines or slopes.